• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 3 Choices

If we can't get Howland, Marshall, Shaka, or Wright, I think we should take a hard look at Danny Manning. Has ties to the Triad, is one of the top big man coaches in the game (10 players he coached in his 6 years at Kansas were drafted), was an assistant on a team that won the national title and in two years on the job at Tulsa he already got them back into the tourney. Add on his playing experience and past recruiting success at Kansas, and he excites me way more and seems like a safer pick than the other mid major guys like Archie, White, and Amaker.

Ten players that Bill Self coached during Manning's time at Kansas were drafted.

Manning might turn into a great coach, but he should be behind Archie and Amaker right now. Well behind.

Harvard's Kenpom

2003: 237
2004: 308
2005: 217
2006: 268
2007: 250
2008: 282
2009: 243
2010: 112
2011: 69
2012: 39
2013: 92
2014: 32

Takes Harvard to first NCAA win tournament appearance since 1940's, elite recruiter, knows tough academics. Maybe got his job at SH too young, coached Michigan during a tough period, success now at Harvard. It's obviously a good fit. He's #3 on my list, above Howland and young guys other than Archie.

Yeah, I can see why Amaker wouldn't excite people, but I don't get the hate -- he's turned Harvard into a sustainable winner. Not just relative to the Ivy league, but the entire country. They've been good recently, and they will continue to be good if Amaker stays.

He's below Smart and White/Miller/Masiello for me but I'd be fine with him.

Anyone else checking the shaka thread wishing for a "tick tock" from baby?

If only we were that fortunate. It is weird to be so focused on a given outcome and yet be so set on guarding myself against that outcome not happening.
The Stephen F. Austin game was the most invested I have been in a game in a long time.
My wife noted, "It's like you are pulling for Wake". My response, "I am".
Once Shaka's season ended, we were back in the game. I don't like our chances for success, but at least we are in the game again.

Harvard's Kenpom

2003: 237
2004: 308
2005: 217
2006: 268
2007: 250
2008: 282
2009: 243
2010: 112
2011: 69
2012: 39
2013: 92
2014: 32

Takes Harvard to first NCAA win tournament appearance since 1940's, elite recruiter, knows tough academics. Maybe got his job at SH too young, coached Michigan during a tough period, success now at Harvard. It's obviously a good fit. He's #3 on my list, above Howland and young guys other than Archie.
Pretty impressive numbers actually better than I thought

At Seton Hall he did well. If I'm not mistaken there were probation issues at Ann Arbor.

The notion that a tier 1 academic institution would just GIVE tenure to the wife of an athletic coach is hilariously ludicrous.

How did Amaker recruit at Seton Hall and Michigan?

He brought in some monster recruits to Seton Hall.

In seven years at Michigan, he brought in 11 top 100 recruits, which is pretty good, although not much NBA talent:

JaQuan Hart 26
Dommanic Ingerson 42
Daniel Horton 15
Lester Abram 49
Dion Harris 22
Courtney Sims 52
Brent Petway 62
Ronald Coleman 83
Kendric Price 99
Deshawn Sims 32
Manny Harris 42

Archie has as many Sweet 16 appearances in 3 years as Amaker has in 17. If we're gonna go young, we need to go for the higher ceiling and that's Archie.

You would get a TON of pushback from already frustrated professors on that front.

Shaka' success will lead to big donations to the Deacon Club. This is not the same thing. Faculty tend to resent the budgets of Athletic Departments all over the country. Wake is not excluded from this. I'm not saying Prof. Smart might not deserve a job at Wake, but Hatch just appointing her to make the hire would not go over well at all on campus.

I haven't seen any evidence Maya Smart is even in academia. She's a freelancer and writing consultant. Hooking her up with Maya Angelou would do be sufficient.

Faculty resent administrative budgets as well. From the outside, that seems to be the big problem at MSD.

The notion that a tier 1 academic institution would just GIVE tenure to the wife of an athletic coach is hilariously ludicrous.

Nah man, everyone on the faculty that is already very dissatisfied with the allocation of resources on campus will be completely on board. They get it. Don't be so LOWF.

*THIS IS NOT A SERIOUS POST NEW SPORTS BOARD PEOPLE.

Archie has as many Sweet 16 appearances in 3 years as Amaker has in 17. If we're gonna go young, we need to go for the higher ceiling and that's Archie.

Sweet 16 appearances is a really, really bad way to evaluate a coach. But I agree that Archie would be a better hire.

Lol okay. So you believe Archie is better than Shaka (equal Sweet 16s in fewer years), and Kevin Ollie is better than both?
You believe Amaker's ceiling is higher than Miller's? Amaker had his chance at 2 major programs. He was fired for underachieving. I don't think he's the man to go to war with K, Roy, Boeheim, Pitino, etc.

I haven't seen any evidence Maya Smart is even in academia. She's a freelancer and writing consultant. Hooking her up with Maya Angelou would do be sufficient.

Yeah, I had the same thought re: the faculty position, Ph. I asked somewhere else if there was any reason to think that would be something she would even want.
BTW, do you view Wake admin "bloat" as being relatively bad at Wake or is that fairly universal now. Would a smaller student:teacher ratio affect that?

That makes more sense, sorta. They lost in the round of 32. That is not success at Carolina. Also, what was their record the next year with mostly Gut recruits, butthead?

8-20, but a lot of those guys were on the bench. You may recall Forte (soph), Curry (soph), and Peppers (soph) left the program before the start of that year. Felton, May, and McCants were freshmen and played a lot. We all know how that turned out their junior year.

You believe Amaker's ceiling is higher than Miller's? Amaker had his chance at 2 major programs. He was fired for underachieving. I don't think he's the man to go to war with K, Roy, Boeheim, Pitino, etc.

No, I don't. Which is why I said very specifically that Archie would be better the hire.

What I believe is that using number of Sweet 16 appearances to evaluate something as complex as coaching ability is really dumb. Would Archie be a lesser candidate if either Craft or Ennis had made those last-second shots, both of which came incredibly close from going in?

It's easy to show how silly these simplistic measures are with other examples (like the Smart, Archie, Ollie example above), but people keep throwing them out there. I'd just like everyone to think more critically about the value of these candidates -- and when doing so, I think most people would agree that Archie is the better candidate. But that's because of a combination of many factors that make him a really good candidate, not just because of a pretty lucky Sweet 16 run.

It's a matter of time before other Ivy League schools start following Harvard's recruiting strategy and level the playing field. Amaker should get out while the getting's good.

Back