• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Liquid Karma

Eat a dick, hackers!
Staff member
Reaction score
In an effort to clean up this forum, and provide a single place for everyone to check for the latest information on the coaching search, we will be tacking this thread and merging new threads into it.

Please use this thread for any speculation/discussion about the coaching search. Try to keep the Wellman/[name redacted] bitch fest off of this thread so people don't have to wade though all of that to hear the latest. We will do our best to update the thread title to indicate when new information is available.

Ugh....I messed the merge of the other thread with the VCU AD comments. Sorry.

Here's the link to the VCU AD saying he thinks Smart will stay put.

VCU athletics director Ed McLaughlin said he will sit down with basketball coach Shaka Smart to discuss Smart’s contract and the program, but he’s not concerned that Smart will be lured away.
Smart annually is a top target of other coaching searches. He has turned down every overture, and there are a lot of reasons to believe he would do so again.
After last season, Smart agreed to a contract extension that runs through 2023, with a rollover provision for four additional years, and pays him $1.4 million in base and supplemental pay. Other perks and incentives from this season will make the total about $1.6 million.
The contract includes a $50,000 raise in supplemental pay this season.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/gold...-coaching-position-b99230955z1-251743241.html

Most interesting quotes. Mr. Wellman's high stakes game of poker continues.

"Howland is said to be extremely interested in the job. If chosen, he would be the first big-name hire for the school that has gone with assistant coaches, including Williams and Tom Crean, in its last two searches."

"A college basketball source described Marquette as the best job available, adding that the school is expected to move quickly with the hire."

Is this just for posting news and updates or can we also discuss

All of the above. There are still other threads for discussion as well (Like Apetit's coaching discussion thread), but we've had quite a few responses from posters asking for one place to check for updates so we are trying to encourage everyone to post new information here if they find it on other threads.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/gold...-coaching-position-b99230955z1-251743241.html

Most interesting quotes. Mr. Wellman's high stakes game of poker continues.

"Howland is said to be extremely interested in the job. If chosen, he would be the first big-name hire for the school that has gone with assistant coaches, including Williams and Tom Crean, in its last two searches."

"A college basketball source described Marquette as the best job available, adding that the school is expected to move quickly with the hire."

This is a very real problem for us. We could have Howland right now, but we are going to slow play this while looking at other candidates and might have Howland snatched up by Marquette.

Does anyone really believe that Marquette is a better job than Wake? Better conference, better weather, better recruiting profile, better academic reputation. What am I missing?

Does anyone really believe that Marquette is a better job than Wake? Better conference, better weather, better recruiting profile, better academic reputation. What am I missing?

Unfortunately, no meals

Ron is going to blow this with howl. He should be locked up right now.

Buzz Williams leaving for VT made that clear. ACC is shaping up to be THE basketball conference again. Pitino, Boeheim, K, Williams, Williams, Calhoun?...then there's benett, gottfried, larranega (sp?), brownell, dixon...not many "bad" coaches right now..Gregory was awesome at Dayton, but struggling now...

Definitely been a better job over the past decade. May not be over the next one. Generally, I would say Wake and Marquette are very similar programs in terms of national stature.

Shaka has peaked. He closed out with losses to Bob Morris and Steve Austin. Until he is able to close out a couple of mainstream crackers I'm gonna pass.

I think it's becoming clear that Howland is not in play for us. Shaka, Archie, Amaker.

Archie ( very interesting candidate but still playing this year would probably have to wait longer) Shaka (Clear number one there's been no denial of interest from his camp yet)

Howland and Amaker are probably the two primary backup plans to Shaka. If Howland goes to Marquette followed by Amaker to BC Ron might end up losing options faster than he likes.

Back