• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HBO Real Sports bringing the heat on UNC Academic Fraud

Why is Gumbel wearing a clown suit?

As to not think WF as any better than these schools, I remember during my time many of the basketball players were communications majors.

As to not think WF as any better than these schools, I remember during my time many of the basketball players were communications majors.

And Tim Duncan was Psycology and Rusty LaRue was Comp Sci.

Wake isn't without fault, but I think we're some better.

Big difference between real and fake classes.

Exactly. Every school has easy classes that athletes gravitate towards. Funneling athletes into completely fake classes is entirely different. The latter didnt occur at Wake when I was there and I'd be shocked if it happens now.

I hate the Holes as much as anyone, and want to revel in this story, but as someone who works on a college campus, this is a very sad story to me. All involved should be fired and imprisoned for fucking up these student's lives.

"There were a lot of Bryans. Hundreds of them." Fuck Carolina.

I hate the Holes as much as anyone, and want to revel in this story, but as someone who works on a college campus, this is a very sad story to me. All involved should be fired and imprisoned for fucking up these student's lives.

Agreed. Took joy at the beginning of the story and the mention that 7 players on the 2005 basketball team were funneled into African American Studies. Really felt sorry for the Memphis player and all the Carolina players who were pushed through the system to help them sell tickets and win games.

HBO Real Sports bringing the heat on UNC Academic Fraud (10pm tonight)

So after UNC-ch is off probation and they have cleaned house do they hire Bzz? #culture

Last edited:

Amazing that our own people are so eager to shit on Wake that they can't see the difference between no-show classes and easier majors that actually require attendance and work.

So why are we not paying student-athletes?

Oh yeah, because they're getting an "education" worth tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Agreed. Stories like this give credence to the notion that athletes are nothing more than pawns at some universities. We classify adult subjects who read on elementary school levels as a vulnerable population in the research world, and purposely exclude them from clinical trials. It sickens me to no end that schools are exploiting them for profit.

I agree with you on this, but you have to admit in many situations they are getting four years of food, a poor to fair education, some wonderful travel, and if they are an athlete in a good program the chance to improve. Guess what? There are other options.
#1 Don’t accept the scholarship, you know the situation, if you are being exploited, take your talents to a D-league or any other paying program that will take you.
#2 Don’t let the NCAA system exploit you and give you a crappy education, pay for any that you are qualified to obtain, apply for academic scholarships, make it on your own like the other 92% of college students.
#3 Screw College!!! Get a job at the mill, McDonalds, a yard service, bust right our into the real world and start earning your 24k.

To act like these student athletes receive nothing in return is a joke. There are other options, so if you do not like the system, don’t play. I promise there is a long list of High School athletes that will take the spot. Some will choose the easy crappy degrees being handed to them, others will push for bigger and better things and earn very impressive degrees that will take them far in life.

It all starts with the greed at the professional level, and it filters all the way down to the kids in Junior High School. Kids being told they are great at certain sports and that the world should reward them in the future. Most adults work at jobs where the company reaps more rewards than the paycheck the employee pulls home, it’s just simple business. If Athlete’s feel they are being shorted they can choose any of the options I mentioned above.

I do not think it's is fair that there are not more stories about athletes or statistics showing the number of NCAA participants who would have never gone to college that now hold degrees and have obtained jobs that would have never been possible. I promise the good would out weigh the bad, but the media (ESPN, HBO, 60 Minute and the like) like to find the fewer tarnished stories and make them out shine the positive ones.

So why are we not paying student-athletes?

Oh yeah, because they're getting an "education" worth tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The interview with the Memphis player was heartbreaking. Props to him for putting himself out there. The whole segment recapitulated what a joke the NCAA is - reform is certainly needed.

Back