• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HBO Real Sports bringing the heat on UNC Academic Fraud

HBO should have asked the players - did you ever speak up and say 'I don't want to take cake classes. I came here to get an education and a meaningful degree'.

As much as I despise UNC and think schools like that deserve bans and punishment, I consider them enablers, but the real problem is a high school graduate who reads at a fourth grade level and who doesn't take advantage of the resources offered him.

Back in 1991, Robert Smith wanted to be a pre-med major at the Ohio State, but he could not
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1140635/

•Ohio State coaches were less concerned with their athletes' educations than with keeping them eligible to play.

According to Smith, on at least three occasions Uzelac pressured him to miss class to attend football practices or meetings. At various times Uzelac told Smith, "You're here to play football" and "You take school too seriously."

Anybody who goes to class at Ohio State is taking it too seriously.

HBO should have asked the players - did you ever speak up and say 'I don't want to take cake classes. I came here to get an education and a meaningful degree'.

As much as I despise UNC and think schools like that deserve bans and punishment, I consider them enablers, but the real problem is a high school graduate who reads at a fourth grade level and who doesn't take advantage of the resources offered him.

I agree that secondary education has many of the same problems.

Once they get to UNC it isn't that easy. They're still on scholarship and as crazy as it sounds, rocking the boat like that could risk their scholarship, playing time, etc.

Certain majors are definitely off limits. A women's basketball player in my class several years ago told me that she couldn't major in athletic training. A buddy of mine who ran the athletic training program confirmed that they wanted to draw more student-athletes but couldn't match up schedules between the AD and program.

I agree that secondary education has many of the same problems.

Once they get to UNC it isn't that easy. They're still on scholarship and as crazy as it sounds, rocking the boat like that could risk their scholarship, playing time, etc.

Certain majors are definitely off limits. A women's basketball player in my class several years ago told me that she couldn't major in athletic training. A buddy of mine who ran the athletic training program confirmed that they wanted to draw more student-athletes but couldn't match up schedules between the AD and program.

BINGO! Roy Williams is not going to let a player put his program at risk by letting him major in a subject that he will struggle in while the no show AA program is there. Remember, these guys have to graduate 50% of their kids.

On learning Swahili at UNC
I took a class last year [he has not declared a major], and I am taking another this year. Maybe I'll use the language on a trip to Africa someday. There's no reason I chose Swahili other than that I thought it would be cool. I enjoy it.
Tyler+2.jpg

Same reason I took 2 years of Spanish at Wake Forest. One of those days I hoped to go to Spain. And then I did and I didn't understand a word they said.

I get your point, but I don't think it's realistic to expect an eighteen year-old who reads at a fourth grade level to have the wherewithal, much less the temerity, to engage with academic resources at a major US university. Particularly when that university obviously places no priority on ensuring that those engagements take place.

Even if the school did care, are there academic resources at Chapel Hill who are on staff to help students who read at an elementary school level? Are there math tutors there to help those kids learn their multiplication tables and long division?

RJ, Please take this as a compliment to WFU, but how in the heck would Wake ever field a team if you were only to enroll athletes on the same standards that are used for regular admission? Please do not tell me you do not think Wake also have a set path for certain athletes. EVREY and I mean very school has an easier path, forcing one to take it is wrong, but making it available is done everywhere.

There's a HUGE difference between NCAA standards and not being able read above a 4th grade level. It's unimaginable you don't understand the difference.

Back in 1991, Robert Smith wanted to be a pre-med major at the Ohio State, but he could not
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1140635/

•Ohio State coaches were less concerned with their athletes' educations than with keeping them eligible to play.

According to Smith, on at least three occasions Uzelac pressured him to miss class to attend football practices or meetings. At various times Uzelac told Smith, "You're here to play football" and "You take school too seriously."

This happened to a friend of mine who played basketball at Kentucky. The only reason he was allowed to take the classes he wanted to was that his father was a coach at Penn and Oregon. They didn't want to see it blow up in their faces.

It did curtail his PT.

At that time the rest of the team basically took all of the same classes. A manager was in each class. Joe B. Hall would miraculously have an "emergency" that required the players' attendance on test day. The managers would take the tests home with them to drill the answers with the players.

Jim Dan Connor was so stupid that even with the answers to every test he had to take enough easy A gym classes to get up to the 1.6GPA he needed to keep playing.

BINGO! Roy Williams is not going to let a player put his program at risk by letting him major in a subject that he will struggle in while the no show AA program is there. Remember, these guys have to graduate 50% of their kids.

The more I hear about this story, the more proud I am of Wake. I took a bunch of AP classes in high school but didnt take any of the exams. I figured I'd just ease into school/football by taking the same classes again. My memory of the exact details fails me but I signed up for honors calculus in the first semester. Calculus 113 maybe? The coaches tried to convince me not to take it. I didnt listen. I should have. Needless to say, 113 was a lot different than my high school calculus class and I struggled with the course and the football committment. Pretty sure I got a C.

Contrast this with Carolina where they're instead dissuading kids from taking any real classes at all.

And how do you fight a cartel? With a union.

At some point we have to sit back and think about what an absolutely honest system would look like. Most fret about an honest system resulting in an uneven playing field, but Wake isn't signing any recruits away from Alabama today.

HBO Real Sports Bring the Heat...

But not the NCAA. Academic Fraud is a university internal matter of no concern to the NCAA.

The more I hear about this story, the more proud I am of Wake. I took a bunch of AP classes in high school but didnt take any of the exams. I figured I'd just ease into school/football by taking the same classes again. My memory of the exact details fails me but I signed up for honors calculus in the first semester. Calculus 113 maybe? The coaches tried to convince me not to take it. I didnt listen. I should have. Needless to say, 113 was a lot different than my high school calculus class and I struggled with the course and the football committment. Pretty sure I got a C.

Contrast this with Carolina where they're instead dissuading kids from taking any real classes at all.

Kudos to you, Magic, for taking Calculus.

I'm guessing many of those at UNC don't even know what it is.............

TARDWAG thinks UNC should not be severely punished because others do it. Maybe we should let all rapists out of jail since so many get away with it.

Back