• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TJ Warren and Tyler Ennis Headed To The NBA...

Tim Duncan did & it didn't hurt him. Grant Hill turned them down & stayed and he benefited by it.

I'll argue that Hill did not benefit from staying. His NBA career was fraught with injuries. Your body can only handle so many miles. It's obviously a personal decision where you use those miles. I wouldn't say Hill regrets his decision, but it cost him a substantial amount of money and productivity down the road. Tim Duncan is the exception. Assuming Tim Duncan is somehow representative of your average basketball player is disrespectful to Tim.

I can't imagine anyone would advise their child to turn down early entry to the NBA if they had the opportunity. You can always go back to school. You just can't play college basketball. It's hard for me to think that folks getting upset about early entrants is about anything more than selfishness of college basketball fans.

saw the other day that Grant Hill is in the top 20 all time for total number of games played in the NBA- that really shocked me considering his injuries.

saw the other day that Grant Hill is in the top 20 all time for total number of games played in the NBA- that really shocked me considering his injuries.

Imagine what his legacy could have been.

I think there is a good argument for players to stay in college an extra year. However, it is much more about emotional maturity than a skills argument.

I think there is a good argument for players to stay in college an extra year. However, it is much more about emotional maturity than a skills argument.

To benefit from that, wouldn't a player need the maturity to recognize that's what they needed to develop?

Still think a big turning point for both Duncan and Hill was the 2000 season. Duncan resisted pressure to play late in the year and into the post season while injured while Hill did the opposite. Duncan obviously bounced back while Hill's ankle was never the same.

Still think a big turning point for both Duncan and Hill was the 2000 season. Duncan resisted pressure to play late in the year and into the post season while injured while Hill did the opposite. Duncan obviously bounced back while Hill's ankle was never the same.

You can't undersell the stability of Duncan staying in SA with Pop who has been a wizard with managing minutes.

To benefit from that, wouldn't a player need the maturity to recognize that's what they needed to develop?

That's where coaches and family come in. It's a shame because that type of player is the most vulnerable to outside influences that have immediate gratification driving their advice.

I'll argue that Hill did not benefit from staying. His NBA career was fraught with injuries. Your body can only handle so many miles. It's obviously a personal decision where you use those miles. I wouldn't say Hill regrets his decision, but it cost him a substantial amount of money and productivity down the road.

Based on this logic, Grant Hill would have gotten injured earlier if he had gone to the NBA earlier. There are "more miles" in the NBA, and if a body can only reach a set amount then he would have reached it sooner playing 82 games a year.

Flawed logic, in my opinion.

That's where coaches and family come in. It's a shame because that type of player is the most vulnerable to outside influences that have immediate gratification driving their advice.

Families and coaches also benefit financially from the decision.

You can't undersell the stability of Duncan staying in SA with Pop who has been a wizard with managing minutes.

True. LeBron is a good example of guy who likely will not have the end of career years that Duncan has because coaches keep his minute totals far too high. After the Larry Brown debacle Duncan quit playing in national team stuff during the summers as well.

was surprised to see him projected to be the 18th pick - thought he' be higher.
He's a bit slow to guard Gs and small to go against Fs so I can see why he's in the bottom half. That's where I figured he'd go.

Warren is a good player who, should he find the right team, should be able to play for a decade -plus. He is not an all-star caliber player, however. I think his most effective role will be a 6th man who can carry the scoring load for bench units and potentially help close out games. He is a great scorer but not a great shot creator. He will need people to help get him the ball in scoring positions.

He's a bit slow to guard Gs and small to go against Fs so I can see why he's in the bottom half. That's where I figured he'd go.

He's a prototypical 3 size at 6'8 215.

Warren is a good player who, should he find the right team, should be able to play for a decade -plus. He is not an all-star caliber player, however. I think his most effective role will be a 6th man who can carry the scoring load for bench units and potentially help close out games. He is a great scorer but not a great shot creator. He will need people to help get him the ball in scoring positions.

He reminds me of Ced Ceballos. He'll find a way to get buckets.

Tim Duncan was a 21 year old senior if memory serves. Some if these kids declaring early are somehow 22 or 23 years old. Warren is already 21 correct?

If you're the POY in your conference and you're not a total head case there's really no need to stay in college. Even Andre Drummond, who was the prototypical "he should stay in college because he's too raw" player, has grown by leaps and bounds in the NBA.

As an aside, I wonder what would have happened if Royce White stayed in college.

His 5th foul vs St Louis was a painful reminder of CP3's last play in a Wake uniform: a frustration foul on the break vs WVU.

Neither was the way you want to go out, and there was tons of time left when CP3 exited.

Back