• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Mack - Legitimate Target

If we hire Mack then Wellman shouldn't see another paycheck. I'm serious.

we gotta stop f'ing over xavier

We haven't. We steal their coach and they hire a better one.

Staak to Gillen
Skip to Matta
Mack to ????

I'm right there with the rest of you in that it's hard to consider Mack without separating all the Xavier/Skip/Dino baggage, but trying my best to put all that aside and just evaluate Mack for Mack, I'd be interested in the straight numbers on him.

He's been to 2 Sweet 16s, which is better than what Skip did at X.

It looks like he's recruiting really well -- 5 stars, 4 stars, etc.

The only real knock that's been brought up here other than the X ties are the fact that X's Ken Pom ratings have not been as good under him as they was under Sean Miller, but that's a pretty high standard since Miller seems to have been the best coach X has ever had.

I don't know, even assuming Mack was willing to leave his alma mater, I doubt we go to that well again and hire our 3rd Xavier coach, but I guess Mack is objectively a good candidate.

That's better than what Skip did at Wake.

I've got an idea. Let's figure out who Xavier is going to hire to replace Mack, then at the last second, hire that guy.

I'm right there with the rest of you in that it's hard to consider Mack without separating all the Xavier/Skip/Dino baggage, but trying my best to put all that aside and just evaluate Mack for Mack, I'd be interested in the straight numbers on him.

He's been to 2 Sweet 16s, which is better than what Skip did at X.

It looks like he's recruiting really well -- 5 stars, 4 stars, etc.

The only real knock that's been brought up here other than the X ties are the fact that X's Ken Pom ratings have not been as good under him as they was under Sean Miller, but that's a pretty high standard since Miller seems to have been the best coach X has ever had.

I don't know, even assuming Mack was willing to leave his alma mater, I doubt we go to that well again and hire our 3rd Xavier coach, but I guess Mack is objectively a good candidate.

and he had to deal with his university jumping the gun and expelling one of his best players for very little reason. (Dez Wells)

Chris Mack only has a better resume than Archie Miller if you are a very first level thinker.

Semantics. If resume simply refers to a list of accomplishments, then sure, Mack has a better resume, if only because he's coached longer. If resume is code for the overall coach evaluation, then Miller is the better candidate because he projects to have more success.

Semantics. If resume simply refers to a list of accomplishments, then sure, Mack has a better resume, if only because he's coached longer. If resume is code for the overall coach evaluation, then Miller is the better candidate because he projects to have more success.

What is reason for that projection, one run to the sweet 16?

Facepalm

I wonder how much our below average ACC talented team is hurting the search?

What is reason for that projection, one run to the sweet 16?

There is enough data on Mack to know pretty definitively he is not an elite coach. There has never been an elite coach with his first 5 year trajectory after taking over an excellent situation. That's just my opinion. I don't really care about Archie's sweet 16 run at all.

Plus his defenses aren't aggressive enough, don't force turnovers and give up way too many 3 attempts.

Last edited:
There is enough data on Mack to know pretty definitively he is not an elite coach. There has never been an elite coach with his first 5 year trajectory after taking over an excellent situation. That's just my opinion. I don't really care about Archie's sweet 16 run at all.

Plus his defenses aren't aggressive enough, don't force turnovers and give up way too many 3 attempts.

Sean Miller and Tony Bennett are doing alright with that defense.

I've got an idea. Let's figure out who Xavier is going to hire to replace Mack, then at the last second, hire that guy.

2012-12-18-pat-kelsey-x-large.jpg

Back