• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Mack - Legitimate Target

He's near the top of our list because the WF job is a complete rebuild. Something like 8 out of 13 scholarships will be juniors that will require another rebuild in 2 years. I'm not saying it's you, but there is a contingent that I believe is living in the San Francisco, South Park world. They are the people that say things like "Wake is on tobacco road so they'll get the best coach available unless an elite major job emerges," among other non-truths.

Regardless, I'm not expecting the top guys because of what we've been left with. Mack is not who I want, but I'd be happy with him under the circumstances. Is there a general lack of Knowledge of the circumstances here?

Yeah, we had a much better shot at landing a big name or even a decent name in 2010, but for whatever reason we ended up with bzz on Ron's hunch.

We are still a good job, but the last 4 years are freshest in people's minds and we have been the ACC doormat for 4 years now.

I'd guess that the last 4 years probably aren't fresh in people's minds. People tend to forget/ignore/overlook terrible teams, and remember things like chris paul and tim duncan.

Yeah. I was in NM last week and I had people who considered themselves college basketball fans ask if we were in the tournament.

That being said, there's no chance in hell we get a Shaka or a Marshall or anything like that. These guys have basically ensured that they have like a 20 year annuity of a multi-million dollar contract. You don't risk that by going to a program with questionable talent on the roster and a questionable ability to compete with 5-6 other programs in your own conference. That'd basically be like Shaka wagering $10-30 million dollars on his own ability to bring Wake to the level of a Duke or a UNC. A few years in a row of middle of the pack ACC performance and he's no longer assured that $3 million dollar a year gig 8 years from now, whereas he can "fail" at other places and still probably stay an in-demand commodity, since their level of failure is more likely to be viewed as bad luck (not winning a title, a FF drought, or a bad season or two)

I think the Bzdeliks or the Howlands that are older can see Wake as their last job. For an up and comer, there's a very real risk to taking our job. No one's offering Jim Grobe that Arkansas money anymore. With mid-majors in weaker conferences paying top dollar, I suspect they'll hold onto their Stevens and Macks alot better than they would have years ago, since the coaches are less incentivized to leave conferences in which they dominate until the perfect opportunity arises

Last edited:
While Shaka has to be (and from all accounts seems to be) our top choice, I really think Mack could be a good fit at Wake. Four NCAAT appearances in five years, including two Sweet Sixteens and a second round appearance. He was also A10 COY a few years ago. His recruiting has also been pretty impressive at a school like Xavier, imagine what he can do at Wake.

Is he a sexy name? No, not particularly. But when perusing the rest of the available coaches, outside of Shaka, Marshall, and Howland, I think Mack would be as good a choice as any.

+1. The more I read about him the more he seems like a good fit.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hide under my bed if we ended up with Mack. I also wouldn't roll the quad. If we do, I would at least like to hear that we were shut down by several bigger names.

Ron let Dino go because he didn't like him, only to hire Bz for God knows what reason, and because of all that, Chris Mack is a legitimate target. Not acceptable. We are no better off, likely worse off, than when Odom left and Prosser came in a decade and a half ago. Hiring Chris Mack simply completes the circle that is Wellman's suck.

They are the people that say things like "Wake is on tobacco road so they'll get the best coach available unless an elite major job emerges," among other non-truths.

Umm, thanks LOWFus Deacus. VTech says hi.

I know it's tough to remember all 2 of [Redacted]'s road wins. @UVa wasn't one of them. That was a home game on a week's rest.

I knew it was our only something - only ACC win of the year was what I was thinking. The lone W in a column of 16. God that was an awful year.

I'm not that enthused about the Mack possibility and I live in Cincy. That said, all of you who think that Wellman screwed over Dino, got rid of him on a whim, and that there was absolutely nothing more to the story have to reconsider your narrative. For Battle (who had been with Dino for a while) to stay on at Wake and for Mack to be considering Wake indicates that they knew Dino was not completely screwed over.

I'm not that enthused about the Mack possibility and I live in Cincy. That said, all of you who think that Wellman screwed over Dino, got rid of him on a whim, and that there was absolutely nothing more to the story have to reconsider your narrative. For Battle (who had been with Dino for a while) to stay on at Wake and for Mack to be considering Wake indicates that they knew Dino was not completely screwed over.

Mack is considering Wake?

Back