• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bzzz throws fans and former players under the bus again

http://gazette.com/ramsey-jeff-[Redacted]-should-never-have-been-a-college-coach/article/1517143

"Three troubling mysteries of modern America:

Did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone in the murder of John F. Kennedy?

Why is Madonna popular?

What was Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman thinking when he hired Jeff "Buzzy" [Redacted] as basketball coach in 2010?...

He failed to understand the college game. He struggled to relate to college players, fans, journalists and administrators. He ranked as a spectacularly incompetent recruiter.

On March 20, joyful Wake Forest students "rolled the quad," a romantic way of saying they tossed toilet paper into bare trees in the center of campus. This practice normally is reserved for especially massive football or basketball victories.

This was a different kind of victory. The students rejoiced after Buzzy's resignation, which followed the Richard Nixon model of resignation. Buzzy had no other choice.

A strange, sad college coaching saga had ended."

MUAHAAAHAAAAHAAAA! Our work here is done!

As others have said, Bz is an asshole for throwing kids under the bus, and he's just flat-out wrong about "inheriting six players who had trouble with the law." It wasn't six, and most of the trouble was after Bz inherited them. Furthermore, I believe Melvin Tabb is the only one who has had any legal problems AFTER leaving here - so other coaches have been able to handle those guys, just as Skip handled Josh Howard. Bz is just a poor leader of men.

Speaking of Skip, I love Bz using youth as an excuse still. "Nine freshmen and sophomores." First of all, we had no juniors because you shit the bed with your first recruiting class. More importantly, plenty of coaches do well with young teams. Skip won an ACC regular-season title with Josh Howard, three sophomores and four freshmen. Now, Travis was not Josh (though that's partially Bz's fault, too), but I'm not asking for an ACC regular-season title, just respectability - and also, Bz's "nine sophomores and freshmen" were mostly sophomores, and what happened to all that experience they got as freshmen, which Bz and Wellman kept talking about last year? Regardless, plenty of teams win with a senior and four sophomores in their starting lineup.

Also, even if Isaac Haas did decommit due to negativity, I don't blame the fans. I blame the guy who had access to actually talk to the recruit and his family face-to-face, and couldn't convince him that a) every team has negativity on its message boards, and b) it's actually a good thing that the fans are so passionate and so upset at losing, and we need YOU to come here and turn this team around and turn that passion into positivity.

Perhaps what pissed me off most, though, is Bz trying to claim he did a good job. Bravo, in your fourth year you managed to go 17-16 with a cupcake schedule that included 14 teams ranked 110th or worse in the RPI. You managed to get to the point where you were consistently winning one-third of your conference games. Good job! You swept the Tobacco Road teams at home this season - who cares that you went 0-fer against them on the road for four years. Or that you went 3-12 in the rest of your ACC games this season.

If anything, I'd argue that sweeping the Tobacco Road teams at home proves this team had the talent to win when it was motivated, and thus Bz was just a shitty leader.

I'd love to ask Bz just how long we should have been patient. Would he have gotten us to the NIT by Year 6? A No. 10 seed in the NCAAs by Year 9? And all along we're supposed to act as if that's acceptable? WHAT EXACTLY WAS THE PLAN, JEFF?!

I've said this a million times over the past 2-3 years - plenty of coaches inherit dogshit programs. As a "basketball school" in a major conference, no matter how little talent you inherited, you're still not supposed to lose to Stetson and Wofford, and it's still not supposed to take five years just to get to respectability. You tell recruits you have tons of PT available, and you bring in a great first class and build. Instead, we got Chase Fischer and Daniel Green, and a bunch of excuses about how it takes years to build recruiting relationships. Then when he brought in a good class finally, we still get the excuses about youth.

I said it on another thread, but I actually thought this article was pretty fair even though it was more focused on the human interest side of things (quad rolling, he who shall not be named's feelings, players' feelings) than why he who shall not be named was canned.

Solid job by Hilary to get the first interview and I'm sure they talked for a bit and these were the best quotes. I chatted with Hilary for ten minutes or so and she took the most quotable lines. That being said, it's hard to read this article and not get my blood absolutely boiling about he who shall not be named since his quotes here are not just disingenious, some of them are flat-out lies.

the article '71 posted previous page sums it up: Bz was a basketball professor, a scholar, but not a basketball coach. in the NBA the players already understood the game, in college he found himself having to go back to basics, and he wasn't prepared for that... he obviously could not connect with the players, either.

Or that Matt Painter has shown an ability to develop big men and get them into the NBA, whereas Buzz has not .

How awesome would it be if Haas recommitted to us? "Yeah, I always loved the school and the opportunity to play in the ACC, but Buzzy always annoyed me. When I heard rumors he would be back in 2014-15, I decided to look elsewhere."

I said it on another thread, but I actually thought this article was pretty fair even though it was more focused on the human interest side of things (quad rolling, he who shall not be named's feelings, players' feelings) than why he who shall not be named was canned.

Solid job by Hilary to get the first interview and I'm sure they talked for a bit and these were the best quotes. I chatted with Hilary for ten minutes or so and she took the most quotable lines. That being said, it's hard to read this article and not get my blood absolutely boiling about he who shall not be named since his quotes here are not just disingenious, some of them are flat-out lies.

Meh, it was clearly written with an agenda IMO. To lead with th "six players" quote and end with the Isaac Haas stuff without checking the accuracy of either one? Wasn't the worst Buzz article I've read but it was still kind of lazy.

As others have said, Bz is an asshole for throwing kids under the bus, and he's just flat-out wrong about "inheriting six players who had trouble with the law." It wasn't six, and most of the trouble was after Bz inherited them. Furthermore, I believe Melvin Tabb is the only one who has had any legal problems AFTER leaving here - so other coaches have been able to handle those guys, just as Skip handled Josh Howard. Bz is just a poor leader of men.

Speaking of Skip, I love Bz using youth as an excuse still. "Nine freshmen and sophomores." First of all, we had no juniors because you shit the bed with your first recruiting class. More importantly, plenty of coaches do well with young teams. Skip won an ACC regular-season title with Josh Howard, three sophomores and four freshmen. Now, Travis was not Josh (though that's partially Bz's fault, too), but I'm not asking for an ACC regular-season title, just respectability - and also, Bz's "nine sophomores and freshmen" were mostly sophomores, and what happened to all that experience they got as freshmen, which Bz and Wellman kept talking about last year? Regardless, plenty of teams win with a senior and four sophomores in their starting lineup.

Also, even if Isaac Haas did decommit due to negativity, I don't blame the fans. I blame the guy who had access to actually talk to the recruit and his family face-to-face, and couldn't convince him that a) every team has negativity on its message boards, and b) it's actually a good thing that the fans are so passionate and so upset at losing, and we need YOU to come here and turn this team around and turn that passion into positivity.

Perhaps what pissed me off most, though, is Bz trying to claim he did a good job. Bravo, in your fourth year you managed to go 17-16 with a cupcake schedule that included 14 teams ranked 110th or worse in the RPI. You managed to get to the point where you were consistently winning one-third of your conference games. Good job! You swept the Tobacco Road teams at home this season - who cares that you went 0-fer against them on the road for four years. Or that you went 3-12 in the rest of your ACC games this season.

If anything, I'd argue that sweeping the Tobacco Road teams at home proves this team had the talent to win when it was motivated, and thus Bz was just a shitty leader.

I'd love to ask Bz just how long we should have been patient. Would he have gotten us to the NIT by Year 6? A No. 10 seed in the NCAAs by Year 9? And all along we're supposed to act as if that's acceptable? WHAT EXACTLY WAS THE PLAN, JEFF?!

I've said this a million times over the past 2-3 years - plenty of coaches inherit dogshit programs. As a "basketball school" in a major conference, no matter how little talent you inherited, you're still not supposed to lose to Stetson and Wofford, and it's still not supposed to take five years just to get to respectability. You tell recruits you have tons of PT available, and you bring in a great first class and build. Instead, we got Chase Fischer and Daniel Green, and a bunch of excuses about how it takes years to build recruiting relationships. Then when he brought in a good class finally, we still get the excuses about youth.

Could not have said it any better. Pos rep.

Meh, it was clearly written with an agenda IMO. To lead with th "six players" quote and end with the Isaac Haas stuff without checking the accuracy of either one? Wasn't the worst Buzz article I've read but it was still kind of lazy.

Wellman clearly wasn't responding to interview requests (and shouldn't at this point) so what is the article going to say? It included quotes from he who shall not be named, it included player's perspectives (one both ways), and a fan's perspective.

The point of that USA Today section is a "what's going on at your university" and that's what's going on.

I do agree that he who shall not be named is lying through his teeth, but how are you going to corroborate that?

"Prominent OGBoards insider BabyDeac75 calls he who shall not be named's comments 'ludicrous, irresponsible, and outright lies'"

I don't think that plays well.

How awesome would it be if Haas recommitted to us? "Yeah, I always loved the school and the opportunity to play in the ACC, but Buzzy always annoyed me. When I heard rumors he would be back in 2014-15, I decided to look elsewhere."

Ronnie boy would muzzle that statement faster than anybody could imagine. Still a good chance that it is very true.

Great post, freakindeacon. Print it out and mail it to bzz. That would make me feel better. Since he doesn't read the paper or internet and RW blew happy smoke up his skirt all day, I've always wondered what he perceived the fanbase's displeasure to entail. Your post sums it up very nicely.

pos rep

This may be an obvious statement but I call BS on him not reading the internet or newspaper.

A man that small probably combs every inch of mainstream and social media to find out what's being said about him...I'll guaran - fucking - tee he's been on this site too.

He's even too much of a delusional cunt to shut his mouth and ride off into the sunset with the millions of dollars he accumulated destroying a program that he robbed blind. If I ever see him, I'm punching him right in the ovaries.

Straight shot to the baby maker!

fwiw... While at USC Ari Stewart was arrested in Arizona for possession of weed.

http://dailytrojan.com/2012/03/23/police-confirm-arrest-of-junior-forward-ari-stewart-for-marijuana-possession/

Speaking of Skip, I love Bz using youth as an excuse still. "Nine freshmen and sophomores." First of all, we had no juniors because you shit the bed with your first recruiting class. More importantly, plenty of coaches do well with young teams. Skip won an ACC regular-season title with Josh Howard, three sophomores and four freshmen.

This nails it 100%. Bz lives in fantasy land where Wake Forest never had success at basketball, where wins against Duke, UNC, and State are remarkable accomplishments. Apparently the fans are supposed to forget the past, when we we consistently beat these teams and were in the top 4 teams in the conference. Never mind that Skip won a regular season title in his second season with the same composition of "youth" (with even more freshman). Skip faced the same alleged difficulties in establishing a recruiting presence in his first year, yet brought in a class loaded with 4 star talent. We're suddenly supposed to believe such accomplishments aren't possible at Wake? Puhhhleeze.

I disagree. Without the fanbase expressing widespread frustration and the billboards, Bzzz is still our coach right now. Even with all that occurring and the embarrassing losses, Wellman would've brought him back if it was his decision to make.

Dino is correct! DuncanDeac, it is right there in Bz's words that he wouldn't be out if it wasn't FOR the NEGATIVITY. His words.

http://m.gazette.com/ramsey-jeff-[R...have-been-a-college-coach/article/1517143orry if posted....

Sorry if already posted. Great read.

Back