• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

From Country Dan; Wellman Says Search Going Well

Welp, no more wasting time pressing F5 every 5 seconds on here.

Shaka Smart has it in his contract that he can not leave before April or he owes the school $600,000! This makes me hopeful that it is Shaka!!

“It just depends on the availability of the candidates,” Wellman said. “It’s their time schedule more than our time schedule.”

wat

Shaka Smart has it in his contract that he can not leave before April or he owes the school $600,000! This makes me hopeful that it is Shaka!!

“It just depends on the availability of the candidates,” Wellman said. “It’s their time schedule more than our time schedule.”
before April 30, 2014; not before April 1, 2014

Are people really still thinking we're in the mix for Archie Miller who just signed a 5-yr extension with Dayton???

And yeah, Dan- please burn all your bridges and inside sources by satisfying this board's lust for info. That'll really get you in good with those people in the future. :rolleyes:

Are people really still thinking we're in the mix for Archie Miller who just signed a 5-yr extension with Dayton???

And yeah, Dan- please burn all your bridges and inside sources by satisfying this board's lust for info. That'll really get you in good with those people in the future. :rolleyes:

I'll just point out that he signed the extension in February and that they just announced it this week to avoid distractions.

I've been no fan of Wellman for the last four years but some of the criticism now is just knee-jerk. He is handling this search exactly as he should be. Some of you guys need to relax.

Wellman's not going to say, "Well if our #1 target turns us down tomorrow, we're going to focus hard on Dayton's Archie Miller and we don't know if he's going to make the Final Four or not. Either way, I'm not going to be around until Monday. So even if Shaka...er... our top candidate accepts our offer or if Shocker...I mean...er...somebody else accepts, we won't announce until next week anyway. So stop calling, Dan."

So we get AD speak that things are going well.

I'm fine with that. Ever talk to a guy who is a month into a good relationship? You ask how things are going and he gets a smile on his face, shakes his head, and says, "It's going well."

Works for me.

Also, if the offer did indeed go out Wednesday morning, this is an indirect way of putting some pressure on Shaka even though there is no specific timetable. For all Shaka knows, things are "progressing well" with other candidates and we are happy with the pool of selections we have at our disposal. IOW, we're not totally tied to Shaka's star and have other solid options with which we are pleased. Not a bad idea. Shaka knows the clock is ticking and we can't wait forever, but we're willing to wait thru the weekend.

I'm surprised Ron took the call after Dan pantsed him at the presser last week....

If it's true that Shaka Smart's contract has a $600K penalty for leaving before April, we may be waiting through the weekend and through Monday. Monday could be another long day.

If it's true that Shaka Smart's contract has a $600K penalty for leaving before April, we may be waiting through the weekend and through Monday. Monday could be another long day.

We/he saves $100,000. It's $500,000 after that.

yea no reason to get upset at Wellman over this. He has conducted this search just as I would have hoped. Hope it ends that way as well

Before May, right?

It won't be a month.

He's basically hedging and saying that he needs time to be able to interview someone who is still coaching in the NCAA Tourney (Miller?)

If Smart says yes, we announce it immediately. If he doesn't, we need time to keep looking at candidates.

And we don't lose face. That is important as well to Mr. Wellman.

I think this is more positive than anything. The fact he deflected the question on whether we've extended an offer to anyone seems to confirm earlier reports from insiders that we made an offer. Knowing Wellman's propensity for etiquette and doing things the "Wake Forest" way, I can totally see him telling Shaka to take a few days to mull his decision over.

Whether that's the right move remains to be seen. I don't know either man personally but from what I can gather, Shaka has a lot of loyalty to VCU. It's a big decision and allowing a little bit of time to think things through is a gesture of good faith and shows him how serious we are (in addition to whatever fat check has been promised).

That being said - do whatever you need to do to close this deal Ron. No fucking coffee for you until then...

HAVOC son!

Last edited:
Wellman's not going to say, "Well if our #1 target turns us down tomorrow, we're going to focus hard on Dayton's Archie Miller and we don't know if he's going to make the Final Four or not. Either way, I'm not going to be around until Monday. So even if Shaka...er... our top candidate accepts our offer or if Shocker...I mean...er...somebody else accepts, we won't announce until next week anyway. So stop calling, Dan."

So we get AD speak that things are going well.

I'm fine with that. Ever talk to a guy who is a month into a good relationship? You ask how things are going and he gets a smile on his face, shakes his head, and says, "It's going well."

Works for me.

More like: "you bang her yet?" he gets a frown on his face "Na this bitch is tight lipped as a mother fucker."

Back