• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Richard Pitino -- hoops gurus advise

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Why no chatter about Rick's son?

Too young?

23-13 @ Minn not real impressive?

Hoops Geniuses please advise

Last edited:
Because we can do better and if we can't, then who cares anyway.

What historical proof that you have ever done better...Dave Odom is the best modern era WF hoops coach, no?

randolph-childress-o.gif

What historical proof that you have ever done better...Dave Odom is the best modern era WF hoops coach, no?

Better than Pitino's 23-13? Dino did that in 08-09: 24-7. Pitino has nothing in his record comparable to Dino, Skip, or Odom. Odom accomplished the most but that's not really relevant here. Maybe there's a junior high assistant coach you can start a thread about.

We aren't going to hire a guy with a combined two years as a head coach at two different coaching jobs. Especially when he has no NCAAT appearances to show for it.

I want to hire the guy who is going to win for a long time & do so legally. I don't care if he's coaching in the Taiwan league or didn't get a degree or has never been to Athens, OH or whatever.

If his last name wasn't Pitino, would you even have given him any thought? If the answer is no, then that answers your question.

We aren't going to hire a guy with a combined two years as a head coach at two different coaching jobs. Especially when he has no NCAAT appearances to show for it.

So instead we hired Bz who was worse?

So instead we hired Bz who was worse?

Huh? Richard Pitino was not a legitimate option last coaching search, and Jeff [Redacted] is not an option this coaching search so not really understanding the comparison.

In my mind, Richard is clearly a better candidate now than [Redacted] was, but I would still have very grave concerns about hiring him. Partly because of his lack of experience, but mainly because three programs in three years is not a good look.

I was more getting at the fact of how are you so confident we won't hire someone like Pitino (or anyone we never woulda guessed) because Wellman showed in the past to make a dumb hire like the one you alluded to up there ^.

I was more getting at the fact of how are you so confident we won't hire someone like Pitino (or anyone we never woulda guessed) because Wellman showed in the past to make a dumb hire like the one you alluded to up there ^.

Haha..gotcha.

I would be beyond shocked if Wellman hired someone with so little track record.

I wouldn't hate the idea though if he hadn't already job hopped once after a year. His team is fun to watch.

I agree with that. I don't think any of us can have confidence in Wellman until he proves otherwise. You just hope that the man still has at least a little bit of common sense left in his body and understands the huge mistake he made with [Redacted] and how important it is for him to go out and get the very best guy he can. Now, if it turns out that guys like Smart, Marshall, Howland, Wright, etc. just aren't attainable and we get a Miller, Amaker, Mack, or somebody else then I'm okay with that as long as it's apparent Wellman tried his best to land as big a fish as possible. So far, from what we're hearing that is what is happening.

Anytime you get the opportunity to hire a 31-year old with 2 seasons of experience, who in 2 recruiting classes has inked 2 JuCos and 3 3-star non-top 100 guys, and who 'led' a junior and season-dominated team to the exact same conference record as the previous season (8-10), I mean you just have to do it.

Haha..gotcha.

I would be beyond shocked if Wellman hired someone with so little track record.

I wouldn't hate the idea though if he hadn't already job hopped once after a year. His team is fun to watch.

Yeah I would rather roll the dice on a guy with little history than a shitty history like Bzzz, if we were in dire straits.

Back