• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Latest From Country Dan

We were warned. We're going to get somebody that the Wake brass think is a home run hire. Given how out of touch they are, there's a risk it's someone who is well past their prime and not that attractive to the hardcore fans.

Rank amateurs on this board know who the best candidates are. We need to hope Maya Angelou is on the search committee and gets this thing done. Maya on Maya and make it happen.

Vt has just been brainwashed now that he is around and work with those unwashed mouthbreathing public school filth all the time, he can not be trusted.

Without discussing the merits & likelihood of attracting him, Crean has a huge buyout ($10 million). If anything were to happen, IU would have to either waive or greatly drop the buyout price.

We were warned. We're going to get somebody that the Wake brass think is a home run hire. Given how out of touch they are, there's a risk it's someone who is well past their prime and not that attractive to the hardcore fans.

I'm officially worried. If we go someone like Tubby Smith, I'm done until we get a competent AD.

I don't buy this. Knowing what we know about our AD during this coaching search, I'm confident we're going to get a good coach. I honestly think Dan was just alluding to pressure by the donors to pursue Jay Wright in some form. It would make a lot of sense. (Obviously, I do not think we are going to sign Jay Wright.)

not to be a downer but these are the same donors who bought (and possibly still buy) the culture bullshit Ron has been spewing the past 4 years. How "in touch" could they really be? I still think the answers are way to obvious here for them to screw up, but then again, [Redacted].

Shy of an abrupt change of heart and a sudden/uncharacteristic willingness to torch bridges, yes.

Stranger things have happened, so, here's to hoping things get strange (where's DV7 with a sign when you need him?).

what bridges?

Bridges at VCU, probably. Leaving is tough once you've been some place for awhile and have things established. It's especially true when a place stuck out their neck for you and gave you a shot well before anybody else would. It's why Shaka could be there for life and why Archie could stay at Dayton.

That just doesn't seem like burning bridges though. It might sound like that to a spurned lover. Really it is just moving on. I know you recognize that and it doesn't mean that isn't what VT was saying, though. That could be it. I was just wondering if he made specific reassurances/statements to the AD/players/recruits that would make him look bad if he left now. Like the reporting of his telling recruits that he wasn't leaving.

Yeah. I don't know. I'm sure when Grant and Capel go back to Richmond, they're welcomed with open arms. Gotta imagine Shaka would, too. Maybe VT is talking about something specific that we just don't know about.

I took the bridges comment to be more in regards to the recruits, etc. As Sports Illustrated has shown in its Howland article, once you lose the AAU coaches, the trail gets pretty tough.

I think you are probably right, Ph, in regards to Capel and Grant. Shaka should get that and then some. Which worries me that there really is something more that Shaka has done or said that would make him look bad if he left now. Who knows, maybe it isn't the recruits. Maybe there was an understanding the last time that Shaka renegotiated his contract that bids from other schools and renegotiating would be of the table for a couple years. Maybe that lead to the comments that VCU has stretched as far as they can. I am making wild guesses. It is late. I will stop.

I think you are probably right, Ph, in regards to Capel and Grant. Shaka should get that and then some. Which worries me that there really is something more that Shaka has done or said that would make him look bad if he left now. Who knows, maybe it isn't the recruits. Maybe there was an understanding the last time that Shaka renegotiated his contract that bids from other schools and renegotiating would be of the table for a couple years. Maybe that lead to the comments that VCU has stretched as far as they can. I am making wild guesses. It is late. I will stop.

Is it also implausible that the guy is happy where he's at? I hear what you're saying, but at this point I'm wondering if the guy is just enjoying the ride. He's recruiting like he's in the ACC. He's winning like he's in the ACC. He's a pseudo-celebrity. Life's good for Shaka Smart, regardless of what happens in the next week.

It's pretty odd, yeah. Not saying there aren't odd people in the world, but it's odd that he'd turn down what almost every single one of his peers, let alone the general population, would take in a heartbeat. (Not alluding to Wake specifically.)

Is it also implausible that the guy is happy where he's at? I hear what you're saying, but at this point I'm wondering if the guy is just enjoying the ride. He's recruiting like he's in the ACC. He's winning like he's in the ACC. He's a pseudo-celebrity. Life's good for Shaka Smart, regardless of what happens in the next week.

Certainly not. I am not really sure how you were reading my post. I was not speaking to his motivations to stay or leave beyond how that might lead him to burn bridges. Typically, a coach taking a new job in a better conference isn't considered burning bridges unless there is some back story. I am just wondering what that back story is. So again, not wondering why he might stay, just wondering why leaving is burning bridges.

Certainly not. I am not really sure how you were reading my post. I was not speaking to his motivations to stay or leave beyond how that might lead him to burn bridges. Typically, a coach taking a new job in a better conference isn't considered burning bridges unless there is some back story. I am just wondering what that back story is. So again, not wondering why he might stay, just wondering why leaving is burning bridges.

You're right - I think I read your post strangely.

Regarding burning bridges: my take is that, rather than hinting toward any sort of foul play, he may just have a fairly common conception of burning bridges as going against institutions or individuals that have supported and continue to support you.

Times have changed. It's not surprising to me that Shaka might want to stay at VCU and keep things low-key. He's already making a fortune and his future is secure. It is not a reflection on the desirability of the Wake job if he turns us down (despite what the dimwit VCU posters think).

There are other great options out there. I will be just as pleased with a couple of the other names on our list as I would have been with Shaka.

maybe he has noticed capel and grant's failures once they left, and wants to stay where it's safe and comfortable.

maybe his wife has him by the balls and won't move.

I think he turned us down on Thursday and this is Wellman's leak to save face - 'we didn't want him anyway.'

Of course if the 'not wanting to burn bridges' view is correct, there is no reason for him to allow any speculation that he might leave at this point.

And you have to tell recruits you are not leaving. Everyone knows that a coach can leave for a better deal you just hope it's not yours.

Back