• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Latest From Country Dan

88Deac LOVES VCU. Just leave him alone in his fantasy world.

But really if Shaka wants to be a big fish in a small pond that's okay. Who the fuck knows at this point. There are a bunch of good candidates out there. Get one of them.

As simple as it sounds, I want a coach who wants us, and I mean wants us as soon as we call to let him know we're headed his way in the Brinks truck. If Shaka has/did contemplate our offer for a while before turning it down, then so be it. He doesn't want to coach at Wake. An opportunity like ours is not his dream job. He may be just good enough to catch that star some day. WAKE WILL get a good coach, tho. We all know how special our university is -- it's different and it's sterling. Someone will appreciate all that and LOVE being our coach. I know that, because Skip showed us ITS POSSIBLE. Heck, even Odom loved being here and gave us his all. Assuming he is not coming to Wake, I wish Shaka well...everywhere except Dook or UNC, that is.

As simple as it sounds, I want a coach who wants us, and I mean wants us as soon as we call to let him know we're headed his way in the Brinks truck. If Shaka has/did contemplate our offer for a while before turning it down, then so be it. He doesn't want to coach at Wake. An opportunity like ours is not his dream job. He may be just good enough to catch that star some day. WAKE WILL get a good coach, tho. We all know how special our university is -- it's different and it's sterling. Someone will appreciate all that and LOVE being our coach. I know that, because Skip showed us ITS POSSIBLE. Heck, even Odom loved being here and gave us his all. Assuming he is not coming to Wake, I wish Shaka well...everywhere except Dook or UNC, that is.

It's certainly possible we'll get a good coach, especially given that we're the best job out there. But we're still talking about Chairman Ron. There is still a decent chance he'll fuck this up.

I'm thinking there are some people holding Ronnie's hand this time who are determined to see our basketball situation rectified ( for whatever reason...ahem, Wake Will.). Hatch's email said as much, and I surely don't recall seeing anything like that before.

I agree. He uses prospective schools in order to get more stuff for him and his staff. I don't guess that's bad, but I'd rather not get manipulated like that. Maybe he'd rather win 25 games against other mid-majors than face big-time schools and coaches on a weekly basis.

If Gonzaga is any indication, VCU has already enjoyed it's best season ever. Dayton is likely in the middle of their only Elite 8 trip for some time. Few has had a solid program at Gonzaga, but their best result is 4 trips to the Sweet 16. Otherwise they have exited the first weekend. 14(?) consecutive trips to the tournament is very good, but they have had minimal success most years. I'd guess most years they have played to seed though.

I'm thinking there are some people holding Ronnie's hand this time who are determined to see our basketball situation rectified ( for whatever reason...ahem, Wake Will.). Hatch's email said as much, and I surely don't recall seeing anything like that before.

That's why I have hope here. But given how badly he fucked it up 4 years ago and kept compounding that fuck-up for the next 4 years, making a home run hire still isn't a given.

bipolar-disorder-fig5_large.jpg

Swinging for the fences may not mean the same thing at Gene Hooks Field as say Chavez Ravine. I'm wondering just what makes Gregg Marshall, say, better than Archie Miller. Of course, Miller's only been a head coach 3 years so this may be apples and oranges but:

Archie Miller Dayton 63-37 63%
Sean Miller Xavier, Arizona 249-84 72%
Mike White La Tech 74-31 70%
Chris Mack Xavier 111-57 66%
Anthony Grant VCU, Ala 175-96 64%
Shaka Smart VCU 137-46 74%
Tom Izzo MSU (since 1995) 467-186 72%
Billy Donovan Marshall, Florida 485-188 72%
Rick Pitino Hawaii, BU, Prov, KY, Louis. 689-244 74%
Ben Howland No Ariz, Pitt, UCLA 399-288 65%
Gregg Marshall Winthrop, WSU 368-154 70%

The "big boys," Izzo, Pitino, Donovan, and I include Howland all had huge winning percentages when they were at schools where it is frankly easier to recruit: Mich State, Kentucky, Louisville, UCLA. So, the argument goes, better athletes = better coaching percentages. All of the other guys, who have not been at the 8 or 10 biggest name schools and probably have not consistently played primo competition, nevertheless have won with what they had, and the percentages aren't that far off. Smart is something of an exception but Grant left a full cupboard so he hasn't had to rebuild a program. So, when you look at the coaches at the mid-majors, given that they don't get the prime beef, the percentages aren't that bad. So, you know we're not getting Izzo, Pitino, or Donovan. Who among the remainder represents swinging for the fences? I think it may be Smart or Marshall, but I've never thought Smart was coming (I could be wrong) and I would be shocked if RW hired Marshall. Is there anyone else out there that, realistically, represents a swing for the fences? To me, looks like Archie's big brother might be it.

Left out Tom Crean, 190-96 at Marquette, 101-97 at Indiana, 291-193 overall, 60%.

Why do you think this? Smart has not lived in Wisconsin for more than 15 years. From the evidence of the last few years it appears that he wants one job: the one he has at VCU. He is well compensated, he is worshiped there, and he and his wife might love Richmond. Nothing wrong with wanting to stay there.

It's just a guess. But given some of the jobs he's turned down, either he wants to stay at VCU or he is waiting for a job that is special to him for some reason.

I golf with a number of old guard DC donors and they like Amaker. Now, after telling them that isn't exactly swinging for the fences, it might be possible that the big money donors have an entirely different opinion of what would make Shaka "settling." Just saying.

It's just a guess. But given some of the jobs he's turned down, either he wants to stay at VCU or he is waiting for a job that is special to him for some reason.

which he isn't likely to get due to the nature of things. if he doesn't jump for wake i'd like to see what he does go for lol.

Back