• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billy Packer

DeacsPop

Resident Old Man
Reaction score
Just listened to an interview with Billy Packer and he was his typically outspoken self. I remember reading somewhere that he has somewhat of a distant relationship with the University. Can anyone educate me on the history there? Thanks.

Just listened to an interview with Billy Packer and he was his typically outspoken self. I remember reading somewhere that he has somewhat of a distant relationship with the University. Can anyone educate me on the history there? Thanks.

Back in the day, he wanted to be the coach. The powers that be didn't want him to be the coach. Burn it all down.

We passed him over when he wanted to coach here or something like that. He's been jaded ever since.

I can assure you he's proud to be a Deac

There was a bit of an issue with him being passed over but the bigger issue is the fan base reading too much into him actually being a professional and not a Wake Forest homer when he's announcing. Some of the fanbase think that because he's not a Wake Forest homer he's got a grudge against the university and isn't a true Deac.

I never cared that he wasn't a Wake Forest homer. I cared that he constantly got things wrong in games he was announcing, whether they involved Wake or not.

We passed him over when he wanted to coach here or something like that. He's been jaded ever since.

Jaded is too kind. He's down right been a UNC lover and Wake Hater since I've watched WFU basketball.

The thing about Billy Packer is that EVERYONE think he hates their school. He provides commentary with a critical eye - which does at times come off as brash and condescending. I always enjoyed it when Packer did commentary.

I think he was also a big proponent of Artis Gilmore coming to school here and was upset when Wake wouldn't admit him.

I never cared that he wasn't a Wake Forest homer. I cared that he constantly got things wrong in games he was announcing, whether they involved Wake or not.

You mean like every other announcer?

The thing about Billy Packer is that EVERYONE think he hates their school. He provides commentary with a critical eye - which does at times come off as brash and condescending. I always enjoyed it when Packer did commentary.

This. I would not call him a UNC lover. Packer pissed me off sometimes, but he was the anti-Vitale. I liked that.

I think he was also a big proponent of Artis Gilmore coming to school here and was upset when Wake wouldn't admit him.

That was one reason he gave up coaching at Wake. He was a great recruiter and probably felt that the university had undercut him. Now gee ... where have we heard this before ...

This. I would not call him a UNC lover. Packer pissed me off sometimes, but he was the anti-Vitale. I liked that.

That's how you knew Packer was doing his job as an analyst, like was said previously, everybody thought he hated their school.

Yep. I used to hate him for the same reasons some have outlined here, but then I started to understand that he's just a glass-half-empty kind of dude, and there was merit in many of his criticisms. He is basically the polar opposite of Vitale. I miss him calling the Final Four.

Billy Packer and Jim Thacker were a good team in the 70's and 80's

Billy Packer was an excellent basketball analyst....that's why CBS hired him as its lead analyst for the most important basketball event in the nation for 35 straight years. And anyone who had the opportunity to watch him play knows that he was also a great little guard when he played basketball at Wake Forest. Is he plenty confident...maybe even a little "cocky"? Sure he is. That is a common trait among most people who are very good at what they do. If you don't have confidence yourself, why would anyone else have confidence in you?

OWGs <3 OWGs

Back