• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning as our new HC. How excited would you be?

On a scale from 1 to 10...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted a 5.

Unlike with [Redacted]--who it was obvious from day one would fail here--Manning at least has a chance to be good, possibly even great. His teams seem to defend and get on the defensive glass. By all accounts, he's a terrific big-man coach, and hopefully learned a lot from Self. The biggest concern is recruiting. He has a paper-thin resume from his time at Kansas, where Dooley and Townsend did most of the heavy lifting, and hasn't lit the world on fire in his (extremely limited) time at Tulsa. Apart from the incipient racism and/or laziness of the, "He played in the NBA so he must be a great recruiter!" line of thought, there's little reason to suspect that he is or will become a great recruiter, and that's what we need the most right now.

Good post, and I agree. I also voted a 5. He has potential. He is certainly not a "WOW" coach, but he has the opportunity to succeed here. He will need strong assistants.

I should also add that people should be voting about Danny Manning himself and not the fact that we're finally moving on from the worst-ever period of WF basketball.

Wake Forest has always done a wonderful job at landing talent that some could view as being passed over by two local teams in Blue. Not a slam on Wake at all, but more the other two for not landing some REALLY talented local kids that came back to burn the others school’s asses. I think Manning will be a great recruiter locally as many of the current HS coaches either coached against him or played against him, and he is well respected by both. He may not carry the national swagger that some here would like to see, but I still think his accomplishments on the court and on the bench will put Wake’s name in front of a lot of great talent.

Went with 6. I mean its Danny Manning, so that's cool.

I've definitely willing to give him a real chance. And I think its a lot better than hiring any of the other third tier candidates.

I voted 5. I'm disappointed, but I do think he has good potential. His two year stint at Tulsa is impressive the more I look at it, but it's only two years. Hard to know if he got lucky with a few guys overachieving. From a distance he seems like a really good guy, and I think it's admirable that somebody of his pedigree was willing to put in the time as an assistant to work up to this point. I doubt he needed the money, so he must have a passion for it. I wish his personality wasn't quite so laid back, as I think we could use someone to come in and set the place on fire. There are a lot of incredible coaches in this league -- will he be able to take them on?

You're asking me how excited that I would be about a particular hire? Me, personally? That's an easy survey question for me to answer. I would give a "1" to any coach who did not either 1) play for Bob Knight, or 2) coach under Bob Knight. At this stage of the game, one of those two requirements would have to be met for me to ever get excited about WF basketball again.

LoL

This guy from the Tulsa board nailed it

"Manning appears to be on Wake's second tier of prospects. I'm not sure how realistic tier one is though."

Last edited:
Comparison to Nebraska and Oregon State? Ouch.

I like the guy calling it a lateral move. Honestly, comparing Tulsa's recent NCAA history with ours... well, they have *some* room to talk. Still, winning in the post-season was something I heard someone say once as a reason for making change.

Followed the link from the Tulsa board to the coaches salaries, and off topic, but I had no idea that Coach K was raping that private school for $9,682,000 a year. That is truly amazing. No wonder he does not retire and keeps “building men”.. Who would ever leave that job? I realize that it is paid mostly by boosters, but to think the it takes the full tuition of 160 students to pay a basketball coach....

Followed the link from the Tulsa board to the coaches salaries, and off topic, but I had no idea that Coach K was raping that private school for $9,682,000 a year. That is truly amazing. No wonder he does not retire and keeps “building men”.. Who would ever leave that job? I realize that it is paid mostly by boosters, but to think the it takes the full tuition of 160 students to pay a basketball coach....

Uh, Coach K is worth every penny to Duke.

LOL @ Tulsa fans. Let me know when your Chris Paul comes so I can fire up espn 8 to watch, DONKS.

Worth double than coach Cal? 4x Roy Williams? In the last ten years no more success than either of those names. I don’t have the list of revenue produced by each NCAA teams but Duke is not at the top. No doubt biggest name in the business, but almost 10 Million???? Give me Tom Izzo with Roy Williams and Jim Bohiem as assistants and keep 2 million in your pocket!

ACC
1 Mike Krzyzewski $9,682,032 -- $9,682,032 --
2 Rick Pitino $4,678,327 $1,080,011 $5,758,338 $775,000
3 John Calipari $5,200,000 $311,381 $5,511,381 $850,000
4 Bill Self$4,750,763 $210,000 $4,960,763 $525,000
5 Billy Donovan $3,875,964 $30,000 $3,905,964 $454,000
6 Tom Izzo $3,413,954 $480,000 $3,893,954 $350,000

20 Mark Gottfried $2,009,000 -- $2,009,000 $1,328,250
22 Roy Williams$1,827,945 --
23 Jim Boeheim$1,818,661 -- $1,818,661 --

3-4, I'd support him and give him the benefit of the doubt for a few years. Agree that he has a chance to be good but he also has a chance to be bad as well.

But Wellman would buy no leeway with this hire and deserves any and all criticism. Furthermore, he should retire now since he's clearly hurting WF.

Through 156 votes...

The average "excitement number" given is 4.42 and the median number is 5.

Uh, Coach K is worth every penny to Duke.

Few hate Ratface more than me. $9M a year is a bargain for what Krzyzewski has brought to and brings to Duke. Add in his endorsement deals and he's raking it in hugely.

3. He isn't what we need right now. Maybe 4-5 years from now.

Exactly my thoughts. I had a 3 as well. And it's not that I dislike Danny at all. He was a wonderful player and seems like a good up and coming coach, though a 2 year track record is thin. I had him rated about the same as Mike White and just plain liked both him and White more than Mack, even though Mack has a much more proven track record. But whichever of the Manning/White/Mack trio you hire, that's a low tier 2 or a high tier 3 hire.

But this hiring process has just been plain botched from the start. Again. We're coming off of 4 years of being lied to and insulted by the AD. We were told Ron was going to have oversight this time. Then Chairman Ron and Hatch used the press to put out the message that we were looking to hit a home run. This makes us get our hopes up. We're told we offered Shaka and that Shaka was a realistic possibility. But this is a clear case of over promising and under selling after 4 years of trying to sell us a shite sandwich. Had we been told, like BabyDeac suggested earlier on, that we weren't going after Marshall or Smart because they were too expensive, most of us wouldn't be upset at this hire and prolly would have been mildly enthusiastic. But to tell us we're gonna hit a home run with a Smart or Marshall and then hire someone like this is just another case of insulting deception on the part of Chairman Ron and Hatch. And they are going to sell this as a home run. Dan Collins may have jeopardized access by what he wrote yesterday, but he was right on.

I feel bad, as I said on another thread, for Danny, especially because he's prolly unaware of anywhere near the frustration level that our fan base has suffered through and of how high our expectations were for this hire. He seems like a very good guy and this could turn out to be a good hire. Or because it's a high risk/reward type hire, it could be a mediocre to poor hire that could doom our program indefinitely. I hope that some insiders fill him in quickly on what he's getting into and help guide him through this process, because if he just has Chairman Ron and Hatch in his ear to start with, he could well blow the press conference and land in Winston with a thud.

Judging by this poll, looks like Ron won the fans back with this hire!

Interesting that a lot of outsiders view this as a pretty good hire.

Back