• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning as our new HC. How excited would you be?

On a scale from 1 to 10...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're asking me how excited that I would be about a particular hire? Me, personally? That's an easy survey question for me to answer. I would give a "1" to any coach who did not either 1) play for Bob Knight, or 2) coach under Bob Knight. At this stage of the game, one of those two requirements would have to be met for me to ever get excited about WF basketball again.

Is this the actual BKF account or is this a parody? I can't tell.

Interesting that a lot of outsiders view this as a pretty good hire.

"Jeff was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man."
- Pat Riley, President, Miami Heat

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

You're asking me how excited that I would be about a particular hire? Me, personally? That's an easy survey question for me to answer. I would give a "1" to any coach who did not either 1) play for Bob Knight, or 2) coach under Bob Knight. At this stage of the game, one of those two requirements would have to be met for me to ever get excited about WF basketball again.

lol

Got this from Deacsalot on the other page, not sure who he's quoting.

"Gregg Marshall's name has been bandied about, as well. Except sources close to the situation were telling me (emphatically, I might add) that there was no chance Marshall would be the next coach at Wake Forest, due to an apparently well-earned reputation for being prickly and not playing well with others. If that is true, then that certainly won't fly with Ron Wellman.Howland was another name tossed out on occasion, too, but I've always thought he would want too much control. Again, that won't fly with Ron Wellman and the Wake administration."

I could buy into a Manning hire if we later learned from our insiders that we tried Marshall and Miller and they both said no, and we interviewed Howland and did our due diligence on him and found him to be an unacceptable candidate. But if it turns out that Ron didn't talk to Miller and didn't seriously consider Marshall and Howland because he didn't care for them personally, then this is just the height of arrogant incompetence.

"Jeff was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man."
- Pat Riley, President, Miami Heat

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."

I'm not talking about those types of people.

Based on my #sources, Ronald's list was as follows:

1. Shaka
2. Shaka
3. Shaka
4. Hoiberg
5. Amaker
6. Archie
7. White
8. Manning
9. Wojo
10. Turner

Anyone w/Insider post the rest of this 3-yr old article from Bilas?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=6618435

Interesting that a lot of outsiders view this as a pretty good hire.

They are the same people who thought he who will not be named wasn't given a fair chance, then jump on the bandwagon at the end. They think Wake would be lucky to land a hand job hire. "Oh congrats guys, he's not terrible and very good for you."

Worse hire than the recent hires of UVA, VT, GT, and Clemson. Let that sink in.

How the fuck do you know it's a worse hire than GT and Clemson? I'm all for killing the [Redacted] hire until the day that I die, but at worst this hire, as of today, is a complete unknown in a search that didn't work out like we wanted.

I'm not remotely excited by this, but at least the Tulsa fans seem upset and sad at the prospect of him leaving. I'll look at that as encouraging.

Almost a solid normal distribution on that graph at 198 votes.

How the fuck do you know it's a worse hire than GT and Clemson? I'm all for killing the [Redacted] hire until the day that I die, but at worst this hire, as of today, is a complete unknown in a search that didn't work out like we wanted.

Well, Manning has coached 67 games and won a game in the CBI. That's something... *crickets*

This. And once he is "filled in" on the situation he should run away from it as fast as he can. I can tell you exactly how it would play out: By the middle of his 2nd year, the typical bitching & grumbling would begin. By his 3rd year, people on this board would be talking about banners, billboards & newspaper ads to fire him. And the reason for this is that, for some reason, many people on this board have totally unrealistic illusions of grandeur about what is reasonably possible on a consistent basis for WF in this new ACC...and if anyone dares to say that, he is immediately branded with the despised "LOWF" label. Why people seem to think that WF can somehow find this magical coach who can do what no other WF coach has done in the last 75 years escapes me....but I think the answer to that question is probably that most of them know almost nothing about that 75-year history. Friends, this is a school that has been to exactly one Final Four in its entire history...one...and that was 52 years ago. And now, in addition to Duke & Carolina, we also have to compete with Syracuse & Louisville, etc. I know how we could make some big money, though....buy the WF basketball program for what it's worth, and sell it for what many people on here think it is worth. Rant & rave about being "LOWF" until your heart's content....but those completely unreasonable expectations are what will ensure your frustrations for perpetuity. Obviously, we can do far better than we have done in the last four years....but anyone who thinks that we can consistently compete with Duke, Carolina, Louisville & Syracuse is living in a dream world.

your argument is that because we haven't in the past, we can't in the future? despite the fact that we have, in fact, competed with such programs. #logic

They are the same people who thought he who will not be named wasn't given a fair chance, then jump on the bandwagon at the end. They think Wake would be lucky to land a hand job hire. "Oh congrats guys, he's not terrible and very good for you."

Worse hire than the recent hires of UVA, VT, GT, and Clemson. Let that sink in.

No, definitely way worse than VT & UVA (and VT is the 1 that really stings b/c Manning really fails by comparison to Buzz), but I think better than Brownell and definitely better than Gregory. I wasn't impressed with Gregory at all at Dayton, and while he's brought some talent to Atlanta, he hasn't put anything together - I believe because he's just not a good Xs and Os coach. Brownell is very solid fundamentally, but he's recruited like shite. I gotta think Manning is superior to Gregory and Brownell. If not, we may be in hoops purgatory for a really long time.

Yeah, I'd put Manning above Brownell and Gregory. Gregory was a proven loser and Brownell was pretty low upside. Manning is clearly the most volatile, though. That year wasn't an exciting one for young and upcoming coaches -- you had Stevens and then Groce, and the latter only had two years of experience, and then a bunch of meh. This year seemed way better until the Masiello incident and Miller and White decided they weren't ready to jump. #ManUp

I'm just saying it's impossible to tell. It's not like [Redacted] where his track record indicated that the likelihood of success was very low. When Buzz was hired by Marquette, he had 1 year at UNO (14-17) and 1 year as a Marquette assistant. Now he's the best hire this offseason. Brownell had 8 years of HC experience and was hired after missing the tournament three straight years. I have no clue how this hire will turn out and it sucks that we missed out on our top tier candidates, but this is just a shot in the dark at worst, while guys like Gregory and Brownell were just "eh" hires.

This. And once he is "filled in" on the situation he should run away from it as fast as he can. I can tell you exactly how it would play out: By the middle of his 2nd year, the typical bitching & grumbling would begin. By his 3rd year, people on this board would be talking about banners, billboards & newspaper ads to fire him. And the reason for this is that, for some reason, many people on this board have totally unrealistic illusions of grandeur about what is reasonably possible on a consistent basis for WF in this new ACC...and if anyone dares to say that, he is immediately branded with the despised "LOWF" label. Why people seem to think that WF can somehow find this magical coach who can do what no other WF coach has done in the last 75 years escapes me....but I think the answer to that question is probably that most of them know almost nothing about that 75-year history. Friends, this is a school that has been to exactly one Final Four in its entire history...one...and that was 52 years ago. And now, in addition to Duke & Carolina, we also have to compete with Syracuse & Louisville, etc. I know how we could make some big money, though....buy the WF basketball program for what it's worth, and sell it for what many people on here think it is worth. Rant & rave about being "LOWF" until your heart's content....but those completely unreasonable expectations are what will ensure your frustrations for perpetuity. Obviously, we can do far better than we have done in the last four years....but anyone who thinks that we can consistently compete with Duke, Carolina, Louisville & Syracuse is living in a dream world.

This is an insufferable post.

The truth is never an easy thing to swallow when it differs from your hopes & dreams. You just haven't been around long enough to understand the situation. You're part of this new breed of WF poeople who are used to getting whatever they want...and think that just because they want WF basketball to compete right there with Duke & UNC, someone will make it happen for them...just like with everything else in their lives. Well, it doesn't work that way in this situation. Eventually, that will dawn upon you.

This is an insufferable post.

Back