• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning as our new HC. How excited would you be?

On a scale from 1 to 10...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deacvision7

Mod Emeritus
Reaction score
Scale from 1-10.

10 = most excited
5 = little excited
1 = not excited at all

Last edited:
He wouldn't be my first choice, but yeah, I could get VERY excited. I think he'd do well here and we'd be glad we had him. Would prefer him over Archie Miller and some of the other guys whose names have come up.

I voted 4. Honestly it's a downer considering the names that were at least possibilities. However, I would hope all of us get behind him, because although it's a huge risk, there could be tremendous upside with him. Wellman needs to retire and go way though.

Not very excited about the hire, but still excited about being done with [Redacted].

5. It's not the most exciting hire in the world. Pretty high risk, probably relatively high reward.

Nobody's first choice, but unlike [Redacted] at least you can dream on him a bit and it's possible he might be successful. Follow the Clawson model of winning the press conference by showing that you're cool and know what you're getting into at Wake, recruit your ass off early on and get a commitment from a good recruit, and maintain a smart social media presence. I will be pulling for him to succeed.

2 compared to the overall pool of candidates this year

I voted 4. Honestly it's a downer considering the names that were at least possibilities. However, I would hope all of us get behind him, because although it's a huge risk, there could be tremendous upside with him. Wellman needs to retire and go way though.
All of this.

I will get behind any coach we hire (well, almost anyone). However, Wellman's performance is grounds for immediate termination. WellmanOUT

Outside of Shaka and Marshall I was not too excited about any of the candidates. At the very least he is not [Redacted]. I would be excited if we trotted out Chill as the coach for this upcoming season as long as changes were made.

I'll go 5 as well. Obviously not anyone's first choice, but he has potential and I could see him doing well here. It's certainly a big gamble as he's so inexperienced, but I'll give him a fair shot before I start the #ManningOut stuff.

5. It's not the most exciting hire in the world. Pretty high risk, probably relatively high reward.

I'm nearly here, but I said a 4 just because it is hard to get truly excited about a high risk/high reward guy given the past 4 seasons.

Just fuck it all.

3. He isn't what we need right now. Maybe 4-5 years from now.

I think it's cool that he will presumably hire Randolph Childress for the bench and then we will have by far the best duo for the annual ACC coaches 2-on-2 tournament.

Labeling the scale would have helped. I take 10 to mean "really excited" and 1 to mean "only a little excited." So a 5 is "sort of excited."

I'm not sort of excited for Danny Manning. I'm disappointed. That puts me at a 3, between "only a little excited" and "sort of excited."

In a vacuum, I'm sure Manning is a good coaching prospect, but that's not what we needed with this hire. I had a lot of hope for the future when we canned Buzz, and that's mostly gone by now. I'll support Manning and wish the Deacs well (as always), but I'm not rearranging my schedule for the next few years to prepare for a resurgent basketball program. Let's hope Manning proves me wrong.

Sorry, good point. 10 = most excited. 1 = not excited at all

Also put that in the OP now.

Voted a 5.

Unlike with [Redacted]--who it was obvious from day one would fail here--Manning at least has a chance to be good, possibly even great. His teams seem to defend and get on the defensive glass. By all accounts, he's a terrific big-man coach, and hopefully learned a lot from Self. The biggest concern is recruiting. He has a paper-thin resume from his time at Kansas, where Dooley and Townsend did most of the heavy lifting, and hasn't lit the world on fire in his (extremely limited) time at Tulsa. Apart from the incipient racism and/or laziness of the, "He played in the NBA so he must be a great recruiter!" line of thought, there's little reason to suspect that he is or will become a great recruiter, and that's what we need the most right now.

Back