• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winston-Salem

Then why'd you bring Princeton up? Are you saying W-S is worse than Jersey?
Not that it matters, but Princeton and the surrounding area is really nice.

Versus most elite or semi-elite basketball schools, our city isn't an asset. That said I think it's pretty far down the list of things that prospective coaches care about. It might be an issue for someone like Shaka who gets great offers every year. It probably wasn't an issue for Howland, Mike White, etc. Location didn't seem to be an issue for Buzz Williams, that's for sure.

Winston is about 30 times better than it was 20 years ago. And Wake didn't seem to have a problem then recruiting players and coaches. Especially kids from the region.

Have you ever though that the wannabe Duke Lite abortion that Wake is turning itself into, might be hurting itself? Hell you dropped the SAT requirement you could admit more Northeastern prep school kids who would bring along daddy's money. It also can't help that more and more young alumni are moving away from the school immedately after graduation.

I agree with this. Admissions is getting a tremendous amount of blowback now.

The point is that when kids are looking at schools, and I hear this frequently, Winston-Salem is viewed negatively. The campus, the school, everything gets great feedback but the city does not.

Winston needs a shot of new blood and a progressive attitude.
Listen dumbass, what "kids" want out of a town and what a dude with a family wants out of a living situation are two vastly different things.

smallbigtall said:
Then why'd you bring Princeton up? Are you saying W-S is worse than Jersey?

I agree, but you're treading on thin ice with me here lol

I didn't appreciate the city as an undergrad (Wake does suffer from a near total lack of integration wrt the Reynolda campus and dt W-S) but I love it as a townie. It's getting better every year as well. I'll be disappointed to leave whenever I do.

As a WS townie for almost 50 years, I have to admit that the OP is correct. Winston-Salem is a city in decline...for 25 years, at least. It's been one step forward and two steps back for a long time. But much like Wake basketball, there is a proud history and plenty reason for optimism here, assuming the right leadership is put in place.

I do agree with you that Greenville is great. I was at a conference with the Greenville mayor who is a Wake grad last week and he was blown away by the stuff happening in Winston-Salem right now.

I know that the Winston leadership has looked to Greenville as an example of what can be. I'm certainly not a hater, and only want the best for the city because what is good for WS helps Wake. What I'm telling you is that WS is a problem for us.

Winston has done a great job with the arts, but that is about it. wake is the best thing the city has going.

Downtown is considerably nicer than it was 10 years ago, hell 5 years ago, and it's getting better every year.

I'd like to hear what people who think Winston sucks want from a city. Like tangible things that they actively seek when wanting to live somewhere.

Winston does kind of suck, but I don't think that really affects Wake's marketability all that much.

W-S in not a bad town. Wake is just to separated from the downtown.

I mean, Shaka lives in Richmond.

Downtown is considerably nicer than it was 10 years ago, hell 5 years ago, and it's getting better every year.

I'd like to hear what people who think Winston sucks want from a city. Like tangible things that they actively seek when wanting to live somewhere.

There's a nice combination of community roots/arts stuff (bars, restaurants, arts, music) and investment in tech/biotech (WFIQ) that's really moving things forward. Just look at the plans for eastern downtown over the next decade.

I'd like a great brewery, state of the art baseball stadium, good golf, running trails, indie movie theater, Cookout, and Mountain Fried. Unless W-S has that, sounds like a shit hole.

First priority needs to be cleaning up the shitstain that is Coliseum. Deacon Tailgate Town is just depressing.

I will agree that the University BLVD portion of Winston sucks dick, but there are alot of nice places in Winston as well.

W-S is below average but it is certainly not the wost city in the ACC

Miami
Boston
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Louisville
Charlottesville
Chapel Hill

South Bend
Raleigh
Tallahassee
W-S

Durham
Blacksburg
Clemson
Syracuse

I mean, before moving to Richmond, Maya Smart lived in Boston, London and Chicago.

Richmond clearly isn't an international city, but it's a much better city than Winston by pretty much any metric that would appeal to someone who chose to live in Boston, London and Chicago.

Back