• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winston-Salem

I've been meaning to check out Durham. Seems to be progressing like Raleigh and Winston. Really want to hit up Fullsteam sometime.

Fullsteam is just the best. Bulls games are great. Lots of new restaurants and bars popping up. Plenty of development and cool places to live downtown.

First priority needs to be cleaning up the shitstain that is Coliseum. Deacon Tailgate Town is just depressing.

This. The area surrounding the athletic facilities is pretty much the worst I've ever seen. Pretty much nowhere to sit down and have a reasonable meal and a beer outside of Putters or RH&B, and neither of those stay open past 10, and whatever iteration of Freddie B's is over there now is it in terms of student enjoyment. What a fucking nightmare.

This. The area surrounding the athletic facilities is pretty much the worst I've ever seen. Pretty much nowhere to sit down and have a reasonable meal and a beer outside of Putters or RH&B, and neither of those stay open past 10, and whatever iteration of Freddie B's is over there now is it in terms of student enjoyment. What a fucking nightmare.

Wake is to blame for a lot of that but yeah. Tied in with the location of campus relative to downtown.

It's my understanding that there were some pretty ambitious development plans in place for that area around 2007-2008. Of course, the collapse of the economy kind of put a kibosh on the whole process. I think buying Ernie Shore and LJVM is definitely a step in the right direction. It will just take time and money to get there. We could just raise ticket prices $4 and pay for all of it right away though!

The Coliseum area was never great, but the ghost yard it is now is Wake's fault, not the city.

Thanks a lot Hatch.

You should have seen Winston-Salem in 1971 when I enrolled at Wake. There really wasn't jackshit in town, and it actually kept students on campus which was fun. I am amazed when I return to Winston now. So much better!

It only matters but so much how great Greenville is because it will always be in the state of South Carolina - and nothing can overcome that detriment!

It only matters but so much how great Greenville is because it will always be in the state of South Carolina - and nothing can overcome that detriment!

hey now, i hate sc as much as anybody but greenville is really great

hey now, i hate sc as much as anybody but greenville is really great

I would have agreed with the SC disgust, but NC and the stupid politics is making us look near sane lately.

W-S is below average but it is certainly not the wost city in the ACC

Miami
Boston
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Louisville
Charlottesville
Chapel Hill

South Bend
Raleigh
Tallahassee
W-S

Durham
Blacksburg
Clemson
Syracuse

Your rankings are laughable. They're also apples to oranges in some cases, which I realize you can't help.

Having graduated last May, Winston is on the rise from my perspective. Lots of students are going downtown almost every night of the week for the restaurants and bar scene. Even a new club called Status.

Pretty sure there's a good amount of development in the works. A friend of mine is even opening up a CrossFit gym downtown this summer. Definitely trending upward.

Having graduated last May, Winston is on the rise from my perspective. Lots of students are going downtown almost every night of the week for the restaurants and bar scene. Even a new club called Status.

Pretty sure there's a good amount of development in the works. A friend of mine is even opening up a CrossFit gym downtown this summer. Definitely trending upward.

A club called Status and a CrossFit gym? Sounds like it's time to GTFO of W-S before the gelheads take over.

Greenville used to be like Winston-Salem 15 years ago. Greenville is now awesome. Durham used to suck 10 years ago (I hear it is pretty cool now). If WS can become more like Greenville, I really think our recruiting will improve.

Sucks.

Wake is a great school, excellent national reputation, good facilities, beautiful campus.

Winston sucks. Old money people who won't spend a dime on anything so there is little to do. Just look at the pathetic hotels.

Face it. My gutt tells me that Shaka would be here if it were better. Just look at the area around campus. Depressing. I had a friend who brought her son to wake for a visit. He ended up at Princeton. They loved the school, said WS is depressing.

You don't pick Princeton over wake because the area surrounding the campus has old people with money and bad hotels.

Winston has more to offer than what's on the surface but of course doesn't compare to large cities

Then why'd you bring Princeton up? Are you saying W-S is worse than Jersey?

eat shit. I live in New Brunswick right now for school, and it destroys Winston-Salem in terms of being a "college town".

OP was right - Winston is kinda lame. Apologies to all who are still there.

Back