• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winston-Salem

The gang shaming here is disgusting. Gangs add much to the culture of a city.

I'd also like to add that if anyone in Greensboro is talking shit you can go DIAF. Greensboro is the fucking worst.

This is the queen mother of all dumbass threads, and after the past month that's saying quite a bit.
As if one city is categorically better than another, with no accounting for taste or personal preference.
People are fucking idiots.

I like Winston. I guess it's kind of sleepy, but what do I care? Meanwhile, it's absolutely gorgeous in the fall, is close to the mountains, and has good food.

Who gives a shit one way or another? Winston-Salem is a fine middle tier city comparable to others its size. The problem is diver deac or whoever it was cant make a damn statement without condescending assholes flipping out. Geez.

Who gives a shit one way or another? Winston-Salem is a fine middle tier city comparable to others its size. The problem is diver deac or whoever it was cant be a condescending asshole without other people calling him a condescending asshole. Geez.

fixed

This is a really stupid thread. Yeah, let's trash talk the city we want recruits and coaches to come to. Fuckin brilliant.

Downtown is considerably nicer than it was 10 years ago, hell 5 years ago, and it's getting better every year.

I'd like to hear what people who think Winston sucks want from a city. Like tangible things that they actively seek when wanting to live somewhere.

Jobs, there isnt much out there but the hospital BB&T, RJR and Hanes. RJR and Hanes are not going to have alot of entry level jobs for college kids, neither will Krispy Kreme. Basketball players probably don't worry abot this though. However, college kids who have graduated do.

Jobs, there isnt much out there but the hospital BB&T, RJR and Hanes. RJR and Hanes are not going to have alot of entry level jobs for college kids, neither will Krispy Kreme. Basketball players probably don't worry abot this though. However, college kids who have graduated do.

Lots of biotech startups have entry level jobs for college kids

It's tough for Winston to keep up with Greensboro. It tries.

Lots of biotech startups have entry level jobs for college kids

But most of those positions would probably require a bio or chem degree would they not? Unless you are talking the accounting department but there are probably very few of those. That leaves business majors or com/psyc/english majors looking to get into the business field out in the cold. I could be wrong.

Greenville SC which is about the same size as Winston, has far less money and kicks the living shit out of Winston as a place to live

Okay. I gotta call Bullshit on this thread. Greenville is half the size of WS. Get outside the two or three streets of downtown and you're dodging traffic to Atlanta or the big ass peach in Gaffney. I think people look at Greenville like a pet dog that does a couple of tricks. It's cute and kind of surprising in that it exceeds low expectations being that it's, after all, Greenville, but saying WS sucks is throwing stones from a glass shack. Get real.

I can't believe I opened this thread to find someone singing the praises of Greenville. Greenville is the type of place you hope your car doesn't break down on the way to visit someplace half decent, but at least it has a Walmart. If Greenville is your idea of a nice place to live, I'm glad you've got low expectations.

Durham is actually pretty awesome.
This is only a recent phenomenon. Durham sucked for years with some serious gang problems. Great town now.

With that said, the recent investment in tech/biotech will certainly help WS. Tony Hsieh invested heavily into Las Vegas's downtown area to try to bring more tech companies and intelligent youth to the area. It's far better within just the few years since he started that effort. It also helps that he has tons of money to blox on this venture and Vegas has enough to at least entice people to give it a look.

Back