• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winston-Salem

diverdeac

Reaction score
Sucks.

Wake is a great school, excellent national reputation, good facilities, beautiful campus.

Winston sucks. Old money people who won't spend a dime on anything so there is little to do. Just look at the pathetic hotels.

Face it. My gutt tells me that Shaka would be here if it were better. Just look at the area around campus. Depressing. I had a friend who brought her son to wake for a visit. He ended up at Princeton. They loved the school, said WS is depressing.

Last edited:
Sucks.

Wake is a great school, excellent national reputation, good facilities, beautiful campus.

Winston sucks. Old money people who won't spend a dime on anything so there is little to do. Just look at the pathetic hotels.

Face it. My gutt tells me that Shaka would be here if it were better. Just look at the area around campus. Depressing. I had a friend who brought her son to wake for a visit. He ended up at Princeton. They loved the school, said WS is depressing.

Anyone that chooses Wake over Princeton is a DONK, regardless of whether or not WS sucks.

rSNS1pv.gif

Sucks.

Yes, I'm sure that your "gutt" is correct. Smart didn't come to Wake because he didn't want to live in W-S. Never mind the fact that Wellman is obviously a complete control freak who would never give a coach the freedom he needs to be the coach. Never mind the fact that he fired a coach after making the NCAA 2 out of 3 years. Never mind the fact that he spouts endless bullshit about "culture" being more important than winning. Never mind that he hired an alleged criminal to be the CFO of the athletic department. All of those pale in comparison to the fact that there is little to do in W-S. And that's why he didn't come to Wake Forest. Maybe we should just move the whole school to a place where there is more to do.

Reactions: ITK
So by your Princeton logic...Shaka to Furman?

No asshole. Princeton has nothing to do with this. Winston salem sucks. Wake is a great place but the surrounding area and city are depressing. The economy is laughable. Everyone lamenting about RHR leaving and squeezing their nickels. Winston is a detriment to wake.

The point is that when kids are looking at schools, and I hear this frequently, Winston-Salem is viewed negatively. The campus, the school, everything gets great feedback but the city does not.

Winston needs a shot of new blood and a progressive attitude.

methinks somebody didn't venture much past Polo Rd or Coliseum Blvd.

Greensboro's aquatics center is pretty cool. You should check it out.

Winston is about 30 times better than it was 20 years ago. And Wake didn't seem to have a problem then recruiting players and coaches. Especially kids from the region.

Have you ever though that the wannabe Duke Lite abortion that Wake is turning itself into, might be hurting itself? Hell you dropped the SAT requirement you could admit more Northeastern prep school kids who would bring along daddy's money. It also can't help that more and more young alumni are moving away from the school immedately after graduation.

No asshole. Princeton has nothing to do with this. Winston salem sucks. Wake is a great place but the surrounding area and city are depressing. The economy is laughable. Everyone lamenting about RHR leaving and squeezing their nickels. Winston is a detriment to wake.

RHR? Squeezing nickels?
Are you drunk? Maybe that what makes Greenville seem so appealing- being drunk at 11:00 AM

I do agree with you that Greenville is great. I was at a conference with the Greenville mayor who is a Wake grad last week and he was blown away by the stuff happening in Winston-Salem right now.

Back