• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do current recruits know who Danny Manning is?

I mean I knew Danny Manning played at Kansas and knew he played in the NBA, but I didn't know he was NPOY or a top draft pick.

My point was that I was born after Manning left Kansas, really love basketball, would consider myself pretty knowledgeable on the topic, and didn't have a grasp of his reputation or anything. That doesn't mean that recruits won't grasp it if they do research, ask their parents, watch you tube videos of him, etc. though.

I didn't necessarily remember Melo being compared to Manning in 2003, but that was also 11 years ago.

I said this on another thread but I religiously follow sports, particularly college basketball, and I couldn't have told you anything about Danny Manning before this week other than he used to play college basketball.

I don't know if it was just me ignoring the midwest or what but I also thought he was a white dude until I saw him coaching in the CUSA title game.

Well, you were in grade school when he left the NBA, so this is probably where a lot of people your age are at...

I'd bet most kids under 17, even those who live and breathe basketball, couldn't tell you much about Danny Manning. Maybe they recognize the name.

That said, with him taking over an ACC program, they will now.
Exactly, and that's all that really matters. It's not like recruits have 30 seconds to choose a school and are going 100% on name recognition. Manning will have his opportunity to make his pitch, at which point they'll know he was a #1 pick and NBA All-Star. That will carry some weight even if they weren't aware previously.

I still remember the St. Louis Cardinals starting line up from when I was 7 years old. I would listen to games on a transistor radio when I had to go to bed. At that time in your life you are a psycho fan (at least I was), so I say that yes, they know who he is.

Plus, do you think that recruits knew about Tony Bennett when they were 10 years old? No so it is a moot point.

I don't think this is the point at all.

1) Recruits aren't going to be a "pyscho fan" of Manning
2) They weren't able to listen to him play on the radio when he was pretty famous because current recruits were born in 1998 or 1999.
3) Nobody is saying recruits need to know who the coach is when they're ten are they?

i'd imagine a lot of their hs and aau coaches will be pretty aware of who he is and excited to work with him.

Definitely.

I told Cumberland that it's pretty cool that any interview with our head basketball coach is simultaneously an interview with a NPOY and number one overall NBA draft pick. That's awesome. I imagine HS coaches will feel the same way "you've gotta listen to Wake, Manning wants to come to campus, etc."

How many current college coaches were in the original NBA JAM? Before every professional sports player was in a video game, Manning was in a video game. I think that's pretty awesome, and I bet the recruits will too.

I said this on another thread but I religiously follow sports, particularly college basketball, and I couldn't have told you anything about Danny Manning before this week other than he used to play college basketball.

I don't know if it was just me ignoring the midwest or what but I also thought he was a white dude until I saw him coaching in the CUSA title game.

WTF?

Did you not watch a single KU game in the 7 years he was there? Because they showed him during every one of them .

And how could you follow college bball closely and not know about Danny and the Miracles and the classic game against OU? It's routinely brought up as a Cinderella team and an all time great performance.

Or when Larry Brown was the Horncats coach and they mentioned his NC at Kansas which always ties to Manning.

I get casual fans and many current teens not knowing that stuff, but someone who religiously follows college basketball? What the shit? How could you escape all that?

They probably don't right now, but they will once they're recruited by him.

"Hi, my name is Danny Manning. Nice to meet you. I was the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft. Do you want to be the #1 pick in the NBA draft?"

See, Brangus? Easy.

WTF?

Did you not watch a single KU game in the 7 years he was there? Because they showed him during every one of them .

And how could you follow college bball closely and not know about Danny and the Miracles and the classic game against OU? It's routinely brought up as a Cinderella team and an all time great performance.

Or when Larry Brown was the Horncats coach and they mentioned his NC at Kansas which always ties to Manning.

I get casual fans and many current teens not knowing that stuff, but someone who religiously follows college basketball? What the shit? How could you escape all that?

Manning left Kansas before I was born. I've heard of the Cinderella story around March Madness, but didn't necessarily connect it to Danny Manning even though I think I'd definitely heard of "Danny and the Miracles."

The Larry Brown/Bobcats connection was the reason I definitely knew I had heard of Manning.

Probably not the specifics of what he did, but they probably know the name and know he was a great player.

I'm in an age bracket ahead of Numbers, and when I think of Manning, I think "kind of crappy NBA player" not "No. 1 pick and Kansas legend who had a few good years but blew out his knees and craftily reinvented himself to become a longtime NBA contributor." I think people are greatly overestimating how much teenagers know about the history of the game. Most 16-year-olds don't know shit about shit (not their fault).

Definitely.

I told Cumberland that it's pretty cool that any interview with our head basketball coach is simultaneously an interview with a NPOY and number one overall NBA draft pick. That's awesome. I imagine HS coaches will feel the same way "you've gotta listen to Wake, Manning wants to come to campus, etc."

Plus, he's a local legend, so I expect our recruiting in NC to definitely improve.

Now that it's real, I'm feeling better about this hire.

How many current college coaches were in the original NBA JAM? Before every professional sports player was in a video game, Manning was in a video game. I think that's pretty awesome, and I bet the recruits will too.

that's honestly all i really knew him from (apart from random ku clips during the tourney).

While at Wake, there were multiple football players I knew and hung out with who didn't know that N.C. State was in our division in football.

My sincerest hope is that Manning can connect with the players and get the most out of them. Especially the big men, especially Devin. Manning was the number 1 draft pick in the 1988 NBA draft. That will connect with any player. No matter the age or basketball knowledge. There's no telling how good he could have been, if not for an acl injury. Growing up in the Triad, I knew about him. Kansas basically gave his Dad (also a former NBA player) a job to get him to play there. I also know that he was heavily recruited by Dean Smith.

who cares? it takes two second of google to find out

Hard to understand the point of the question. Some kids will know that Manning was a stud player and some won't. Regardless, if the recruit has any interest in WF, at that point, I am sure that any recruit that did not already know who Manning is, will discover that:

- He was the NCAA POY
- Won a NC
- #1 NBA draft pick
- 15 year NBA career
- NBA All-star

All of this can only help.

So, to re-cap:

- For those recruits that know who Manning is or whose parents know who Manning is, Manning will give WF instant recruiting cred;
- For those recruits have no clue who Manning is, they will find out which will also boost recruiting (as in, who will help my development as a professional basketball player more? Some OWG that never sniffed the NBA or a former #1 pick who played in the league for 15 years)

Last edited:
Honestly, it'd be pretty hard for a HS recruit to remain ignorant of who Danny Manning is after he shows interest. Parents, coaches, friends, uncles, etc. This is not information that will fail to come up.

It's like a main argument for why he'd be a good coach for us. I feel like that's why people care?

ok so maybe they don't know off of the top of their head, but will they go more than 2 minutes without knowing if we start to recruit?

its not like its some secret information that recruits may never come across

Back