• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do current recruits know who Danny Manning is?

Manning has his foot in the door not because the high school players know who he is from his college days but that the parents and coaches (high school and AAU) know who he is.

Once Manning does with his foot in the door will depend on his coaching/recruiting abilities and that of his assistant coaches. Still nice to have a foot in the door - a huge head start.

Bingo.

This is simple. Sadly, most younger people don't care about history anymore, sports or otherwise. Anyone who professes to be a basketball junkie should know basketball history. Not knowing Manning just shows indifference to learning about the past. George Mikan retired before I was born but I still know his story.
Lol

I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about with your first sentence, or is it a question.

I do, however, know what Self has to say about Danny Manning. "Who wouldn't want their son to be mentored by a guy who has everything you want your son to be?"

That doesn't sound like Bill Self viewed him as not providing a recruiting edge, does it?

have = gave. Autocorrect doesn't kick in on that.

Now read it again. I just want to know why Self gave a strong recruiter less recruiting responsibilities.

Just accept what it is. Manning is an inexperienced coach with some weaknesses. You don't have to justify everything just because you hope for the best. It doesn't make you a better fan.

have = gave. Autocorrect doesn't kick in on that.

Now read it again. I just want to know why Self gave a strong recruiter less recruiting responsibilities.

Just accept what it is. Manning is an inexperienced coach with some weaknesses. You don't have to justify everything just because you hope for the best. It doesn't make you a better fan.

How do we know that all the other assistants at Kansas when recruiting a big man in their respective regions didn't sell the opportunity to be coached by Manning? Maybe the other staff members were already entrenched in those regions and it didn't make sense to change it up? Maybe Self preferred Manning to be at Kansas working with the players instead of being on the road?

I think the main point when it comes to recruiting and coaching for Manning is that it's mostly all conjecture on our part. There's a lot of unknowns. We're all going to find out first hand over the next few years if he can recruit good players and win games.

i can't believe that post by numbers. really amazing.

I think it is just lazy/easy to assume that a #1 NBA draft pick, 15 year NBA Vet, etc. will be able to recruit studs but might struggle with the X's/O's and basketball strategy aspects. I've told numerous CBB fans of other programs we hired Danny Manning and they all said "well at least he should be able to recruit!"

But there is actually some evidence that Manning is good tactically and with player development but mediocre at recruiting thus far in his coaching career.

I'm a general sports fan, I don't live and die with college basketball, and I was 4 years old when Danny Manning made his run. And even I knew way more about him than numbers did.

Numbers can say he is a big college basketball fan, but from now on I will just think of him as that stupid over sharing dumbfuck who admitted on a sports message board that he didn't know who danny manning is.

Every time there's a Cinderella or a guy carry a team in the NCAAT, Danny and the Miracles are revisited in the national media.

I think it is just lazy/easy to assume that a #1 NBA draft pick, 15 year NBA Vet, etc. will be able to recruit studs but might struggle with the X's/O's and basketball strategy aspects. I've told numerous CBB fans of other programs we hired Danny Manning and they all said "well at least he should be able to recruit!"

But there is actually some evidence that Manning is good tactically and with player development but mediocre at recruiting thus far in his coaching career.

I guess for me it is that I feel very comfortable with him as a tactician/teacher and I don't feel he has had a hands to truly show what he can do recruiting. He now gets that chance with no excuses. He has two of the greatest players of their generation at their position currently playing in the NBA. He has the ACC, and he has an arena renovation coming his way.

For his career it is put up or shut up with regards to recruiting. I am sure he knows that if he can't recruit to Wake it will always be a black mark on his coaching legacy.

I guess for me it is that I feel very comfortable with him as a tactician/teacher and I don't feel he has had a hands to truly show what he can do recruiting. He now gets that chance with no excuses. He has two of the greatest players of their generation at their position currently playing in the NBA. He has the ACC, and he has an arena renovation coming his way.

For his career it is put up or shut up with regards to recruiting. I am sure he knows that if he can't recruit to Wake it will always be a black mark on his coaching legacy.

I agree that DM might recruit very well at Wake and he hasn't had a full opportunity just yet.

I was making the point that casual sentiment is that a former star player like Manning will be able to crush recruiting but will struggle with strategy. But that isn't the coach we are getting.

There are a few other things to think about regarding his recruiting at KU. First, he's recruiting for Bill Self and has to tell self's story more than his own. Maybe he'll be more comfortable telling his story. Next, during the pre-season and season, he was much more valuable working with the team than he woulds have been on the road. Self may have made conscious decision to keep the consistency of everyday coaching rather than chopping up the bigs' training regimen. You don't want practices to be changed. You want the same input. You don't one coach saying one thing and another changing it. Another aspect is Danny's story is a really good closing rap. I don't think it's as strong an opener. If we get strong recruiters beating the bushes and creating relationships, Danny's history is the perfect closing statement.

I feel better that he is a better tactician honestly. He has so many natural advantages when it comes to recruiting that that is bound to pay dividends.

Numbers can say he is a big college basketball fan, but from now on I will just think of him as that stupid over sharing dumbfuck who admitted on a sports message board that he didn't know who danny manning is.

Haha it's not like I hadn't heard of him. I just didn't realize he was as good as he was. I remember seeing him play in the NBA and he was just mediocre...probably just post-injuries.

earlier on this thread you said you thought he was white

earlier on this thread you said you thought he was white

Yeah I did think he was white. That doesn't mean I hadn't heard of him or knew he played basketball. I guess I should have said I remember seeing his name in the box scores and whatnot for the NBA. I don't have any specific memories of watching him play in the NBA though (obviously as you pointed out since I believed he was a white dude).

Yeah I did think he was white. That doesn't mean I hadn't heard of him or knew he played basketball.

You really stepped in it here. He played fifteen years in the NBA. What percentage of the NBA is white? He was often mentioned when KU was on TV. Let's see they talked about him being a star; there was a 6'10 black guy in a suit; who did you think that guy was? :)

Manning should, and will, hire complementary assistants to shore up any weakness he has. No head coach does everything well.

Back