• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do current recruits know who Danny Manning is?

My take is similar to many. Manning's history will get his foot in the door, probably for a few recruits we may not have had a shot at, otherwise. That is a big deal, but only if we land some. So, we shouldn't discount it, but he still has to be able to prove he can finish.
A poor analogy would be that he gets to take a few steps closer to the hoop. He still has to make the shot.

I think the recruiting is an unknown. I don't think we should assume it will be a strength or weakness. Kansas recruits itself and having Manning on the staff may have helped the sale. It is reasonable that Manning's talents were better utilized as an instructor, even if he was a good recruiter, given that recruiting isn't as tough a challenge at the blue schools. That said, he probably is not a recruiting prodigy. If they knew they could send him out and he would close the deal on pretty much any stud recruit, they would have done that, even at Kansas.

Have we heard any comments on his desire for his staff at Wake? Any indication if he wants to keep his staff together. Will he start over now that he has an ACC program and try to get bigger names from the Self/Brown trees? Obviously, he does not have any long-time assistants that would be an unbreakable package deal. I hope he will be open to recruiting the absolute best/most competitive staff he can then get to work on rebuilding the program and Wake Forest brand.

Edited to pile on: Numbers should reconsider how knowledgable he thinks he is.

Last edited:
I'm fairly young and grew up in the northeast, not really even a huge basketball fan before coming to Wake, but the very first thing that popped in my mind upon hearing his name was the "Oh Danny Boy!" Sports Illustrated cover with the action shot of Manning and the subtext talking about KU's '88 title. The fact that that was my immediate thought makes me think he has some level of name recognition.

0411_large.jpg

Who is a comparable player to Manning who was a star in the early 70s NCAA with a long NBA career who I may not have heard of? I'm trying to empathize with numbers.

Given that Manning is associated with Peyton and Eli, I can kind of understand assuming Danny is white.

Never heard of Butch Lee but his NBA career was over when I was 4. Manning's ended when you were 12 or 13.

Yeah I was just picking guys who won NPOY that weren't ridiculously well known names (Bill Walton) that got drafted.

An argument could be made that Aguirre should be in the HOF. Until he got hurt, he was dominant players for 6-8 years.

Charles talks about Aguirre all the time on NBA broadcasts. Chuck calls him a major inspiration of his game.

Aguirre was a huge name for three decades.

Who is a comparable player to Manning who was a star in the early 70s NCAA with a long NBA career who I may not have heard of? I'm trying to empathize with numbers.

Given that Manning is associated with Peyton and Eli, I can kind of understand assuming Danny is white.

David Thompson is probably a close comparison, though admittedly not perfect. Thompson is considered by some to be the best college player ever and you are from NC. There isn't going to be an exact match.

Right. Around here Thompson > Jordan > Bias > Manning.

David Thompson is probably a close comparison, though admittedly not perfect. Thompson is considered by some to be the best college player ever and you are from NC. There isn't going to be an exact match.

If David didn't have his issues (read screwed by Monte Towe), MJ would have been compared to David.

There isn't a close second to David as being the best player in ACC history.

I was going to say David Thompson too.

Led his team to the NCAA championship and was drafted #1 overall. 10 year Pro career (ABA & NBA).

a person who "religiously follows sports" would know everybody. particularly in the internet era.

An argument could be made that Aguirre should be in the HOF.

And it would be a stupid argument, but not surprising coming from a man who pimped Garrett Anderson as a HOFer.

I was going to say David Thompson too.

Led his team to the NCAA championship and was drafted #1 overall. 10 year Pro career (ABA & NBA).

The team he led a NC was a very good team. They were expected to win.

The team he led a NC was a very good team. They were expected to win.

He was also the Most Outstanding Player in the Final Four, and on his team, and in the ACC. There's no reason to be obstinate. We know that NC State had a good team.

Marques Johnson is probably the least known NPOY of the 70s despite having a great NBA career.

Back