• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do current recruits know who Danny Manning is?

Brangus

Reaction score
This isn't a bash thread. He's our guy and we should all back him. But I've seen several folks say that Manning's name as a big NBA star will help recruiting. Manning retired from the NBA in 2003 or close thereto. Our current recruits are 17, so born in 1996 and 1997? Basically they were 6 or 7 years old when Manning went to be a manager (and subsequent assistant at Kansas). I'm just saying there's no name recognition here right? Of course they can google him and find out he was a stud but these kids probably don't know any NBA names that weren't playing in 2007 of later.

This isn't a bash thread. He's our guy and we should all back him. But I've seen several folks say that Manning's name as a big NBA star will help recruiting. Manning retired from the NBA in 2003 or close thereto. Our current recruits are 17, so born in 1996 and 1997? Basically they were 6 or 7 years old when Manning went to be a manager (and subsequent assistant at Kansas). I'm just saying there's no name recognition here right? Of course they can google him and find out he was a stud but these kids probably don't know any NBA names that weren't playing in 2007 of later.

Their parents do.

I would guess no, they don't know who he is. But I'll bet their parents and coaches know who he is and what he's accomplished.

I keep seeing this point/question, and it is pretty stupid in my opinion. When you were in high school had you heard about people who played before you were old enough to follow sports? If you are a sports fan, of course you did. I never saw Bill Walton or David Thompson or Pete Maravich play in college but I had heard of them.

well he can, unlike anyone else, say what it takes to be the #1 pick in the draft.

Almost all of them know who Danny Manning is. These kids lives pretty much revolve around basketball. You think they really only know people playing after 2007? I was only 5 when Laetner was at Duke but I still know who he is. I'm sure Danny Manning has come up enough during the tournament over the past decade whenever Kansas plays that these guys have had exposure to who he is

I said this on another thread but I religiously follow sports, particularly college basketball, and I couldn't have told you anything about Danny Manning before this week other than he used to play college basketball.

I don't know if it was just me ignoring the midwest or what but I also thought he was a white dude until I saw him coaching in the CUSA title game.

In the age of YouTube, NBA TV, etc, a high school basketball recruit knows of any relevant basketball player. Yes, even ones that played before they were born/when they were young. It's not an issue.

According to Dan Collins, Devin Thomas' eyes "lit up" when he heard that Manning was a candidate for the Wake job. But, maybe Thomas is a lot older or a lot brighter than "current recruits." Or maybe the answer is, "Yes, most will."

I said this on another thread but I religiously follow sports, particularly college basketball, and I couldn't have told you anything about Danny Manning before this week other than he used to play college basketball.

I don't know if it was just me ignoring the midwest or what but I also thought he was a white dude until I saw him coaching in the CUSA title game.

That's because you're what, 14? At least you didn't say you thought he was a brother of the Broncos and Giants QBs.

Ever heard of Wilt Chamberlain?

Were you following sports in 2003? Because if so, you would have heard Carmelo Anthony being compared to Danny Manning about every 15 seconds during that NCAA Tournament.

Jeebus, dude. Probably should have just sat on this particular nugget.

i'd imagine a lot of their hs and aau coaches will be pretty aware of who he is and excited to work with him.

I keep seeing this point/question, and it is pretty stupid in my opinion. When you were in high school had you heard about people who played before you were old enough to follow sports? If you are a sports fan, of course you did. I never saw Bill Walton or David Thompson or Pete Maravich play in college but I had heard of them.

That's the point, you don't have to have been alive when great athletes were playing to know who they were and what they accomplished. Heck, Lou Gerhig is one of my all time favorite baseball players and he died a long time before I was even born. Now, granted the name Danny Manning doesn't mean the same thing as Magic Johnson or Dr. J., but he's well enough known that star high school basketball players should know who he is and as was pointed out, their parent surely will know who he is, which may be even more important.

I'd bet most kids under 17, even those who live and breathe basketball, couldn't tell you much about Danny Manning. Maybe they recognize the name.

That said, with him taking over an ACC program, they will now.

I still remember the St. Louis Cardinals starting line up from when I was 7 years old. I would listen to games on a transistor radio when I had to go to bed. At that time in your life you are a psycho fan (at least I was), so I say that yes, they know who he is.

Plus, do you think that recruits knew about Tony Bennett when they were 10 years old? No so it is a moot point.

I'd bet most kids under 17, even those who live and breathe basketball, couldn't tell you much about Danny Manning. Maybe they recognize the name.

That said, with him taking over an ACC program, they will now.

Probably not the specifics of what he did, but they probably know the name and know he was a great player.

Back