• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Austin, TX

Answers: Will have a car; not really into getting drunk, but do like to taste local microbrews. I do like BBQ, and would very much like to hit up a few local places. Some of the best BBQ i've ever had was decades back in the last millennium at a place off I-35 between Austin and San Antonio. And yes, was looking to see what Austin has to offer in the TX history way. Done the San Antonio stuff.

BBQ: if you really want to wait 4+ hours for franklins, do so. If not, hit up La Barbecue & Micklethwait's Craft Meats. Micklethwait's is right down the road from franklins. Both are extremely delicious and I didn't wait at either of them. Tacos: hit up El Primo &/or Torchy's. For some good chicken, Ms. P's Electric Cock. Dessert - Gordough's has amazing donuts. Bananarchy is different and is pretty tasty. And Cow Tipping Creamery has some good ice cream.

In addition to Young Buck's food recs, I would throw in TacoDeli, but definitely insist that you get your breakfast tacos at Torchy's. Staying downtown you should also look into eating at Ranch 616:

http://theranch616.com/

As for sight seeing, go to Mount Bonnell, its a short drive from downtown and gives you a great view of the city, lakes and country. The Texas History Museum is also pretty dope. It walks you through the history of the state and only takes an hour or two. Seeing the bats come out at sunset under the Congress Street Bridge, Get there 5-10 mins before sunset if you want a spot to see them. Also if y'all are in to hiking you can go explore the greenbelt just right outside of town, and you should also walk/run the trail around Town Lake, which is directly downtown. While you're there also check out Rainey Street. Its a bunch of houses that have been converted into bars. Bangers is a good spot on Rainey. It has a lot of beers on tap and their Sunday Brunch is awesome with live bands and great traditional German food.

A little out of the way probably, but Tysons Tacos on Airport by 35 have best breakfast tacos in town. Torchys and Taco Deli are safe bets though

I would also suggest Kerlin BBQ on Cesar Chavez if you don't want to wait in line for Franklin

In addition to Young Buck's food recs, I would throw in TacoDeli, but definitely insist that you get your breakfast tacos at Torchy's. Staying downtown you should also look into eating at Ranch 616:

http://theranch616.com/

As for sight seeing, go to Mount Bonnell, its a short drive from downtown and gives you a great view of the city, lakes and country. The Texas History Museum is also pretty dope. It walks you through the history of the state and only takes an hour or two. Seeing the bats come out at sunset under the Congress Street Bridge, Get there 5-10 mins before sunset if you want a spot to see them. Also if y'all are in to hiking you can go explore the greenbelt just right outside of town, and you should also walk/run the trail around Town Lake, which is directly downtown. While you're there also check out Rainey Street. Its a bunch of houses that have been converted into bars. Bangers is a good spot on Rainey. It has a lot of beers on tap and their Sunday Brunch is awesome with live bands and great traditional German food.

All great suggestions here

Three months later, I still think of Gordough's at least once a day.

I'm going to be in Austin solo for like less than 24 hours this week (driving through on the way to Cali). Can someone synthesize all these recommendations down to the few things I should definitely try to hit?

Franklins is worth the wait

No it's not. Franklins is nothing but hipster bbq that a bunch of unemployed, skinny jean wearing, uber hating, trust fund losers have convinced themselves is great bbq. One thing Franklins is good at is marketing, they crush that game.

No it's not. Franklins is nothing but hipster bbq that a bunch of unemployed, skinny jean wearing, uber hating, trust fund losers have convinced themselves is great bbq. One thing Franklins is good at is marketing, they crush that game.

LOL, wait, hating uber is a millennial hipster thing now?

Also, Franklin's is good as shit. You're crazy.

Who could possibly hate Uber?

Taxi drivers. Totally sucks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that it's a dig at uber leaving Austin.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

John Lewis is gone too, and his new restaurant is almost ready. braskyville in decline.

lighten up francis

Back