• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Austin, TX

Had a GREAT Austin weekend

Shitfaced Shakespeare was amazing. I wanna bang the main brunette actress chick so hard.

Also Catamount have you thought about moving to Dallas? Seems like more of your speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
P sure all millennials love Uber. At least they do in DC.

There is a pretty large contingent of millennials in Austin who feel like Uber is a evil corporation that was trying to strong arm their awesome city government. They blame Uber for leaving, not the city of Austin for proposing ridiculous regulations and manipulating the vote by using intentionally misleading wording on the ballot.

Last edited:
Had a GREAT Austin weekend

Shitfaced Shakespeare was amazing. I wanna bang the main brunette actress chick so hard.

Also Catamount have you thought about moving to Dallas? Seems like more of your speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah man I am good here, I just strictly hang out with people that have moved from Socal, so it is all good. Also at what point is smoked meat, just smoked meat? I mean no question Franklins is decent BBQ, but it is not wake up at 8am hungover on Saturday to stand in line for four hours with a bunch of tourists good. Blind taste test I bet Blacks matches up with Franklins.

Last edited:
There is a pretty large contingent of millennials in Austin who feel like Uber is a evil corporation that was trying to strong arm their awesome city government.

I mean they are, and they did. Doesn't mean Uber isn't awesome.

Nah man I am good here, I just strictly hang out with people that have moved from Socal, so it is all good. Also at what point is smoked meat, just smoked meat? I mean no question Franklins is decent BBQ, but it is not wake up at 8am hungover on Saturday to stand in line for four hours with a bunch of tourists good. Blind taste test I bet Blacks matches up with Franklins.

I was only in Austin for 4 days and didn't have a car so I haven't done a thorough comparison with the other places there, but Franklin's squarely beats pretty much every brisket I've had elsewhere before or since. There are lots of places that do it "good", but Franklin's took it to the next level. My experiences mostly range from NC BBQ (lived in 3 NC cities) to DC (lol) to SF (where I live across the street from a place that regularly has hour long lines for brisket and where I've eaten a few times at a place that hosted a Franklin's BBQ pop-up so they are in the same "stratosphere"), so they are not extensive by any means, I'd admit.

Still thought it was worth it at the end of the day. I only waited about 2-3 hours (Thursday morning, were among the first 10-20 people), had a place to sit, and got to drink beers with good friends in good weather so the wait wasn't all that bad. Sleeping off a hangover is probably time better spent though, you're right.

I was only in Austin for 4 days and didn't have a car so I haven't done a thorough comparison with the other places there, but Franklin's squarely beats pretty much every brisket I've had elsewhere before or since. There are lots of places that do it "good", but Franklin's took it to the next level. My experiences mostly range from NC BBQ (lived in 3 NC cities) to DC (lol) to SF (where I live across the street from a place that regularly has hour long lines for brisket and where I've eaten a few times at a place that hosted a Franklin's BBQ pop-up so they are in the same "stratosphere"), so they are not extensive by any means, I'd admit.

Still thought it was worth it at the end of the day. I only waited about 2-3 hours (Thursday morning, were among the first 10-20 people), had a place to sit, and got to drink beers with good friends in good weather so the wait wasn't all that bad. Sleeping off a hangover is probably time better spent though, you're right.
If I was on vacation I would be getting up early, but I'm not so I'll sleep the hangover off. You are comparing NC and SF brisket to Texas brisket, of course Franklins is going to seem like the tits in that scenario. Compare franklins to other top notch bbq places around here and Lockhart, and the differences become much smaller.

If I was on vacation I would be getting up early, but I'm not so I'll sleep the hangover off. You are comparing NC and SF brisket to Texas brisket, of course Franklins is going to seem like the tits in that scenario. Compare franklins to other top notch bbq places around here and Lockhart, and the differences become much smaller.

No it's not. Franklins is nothing but hipster bbq that a bunch of unemployed, skinny jean wearing, uber hating, trust fund losers have convinced themselves is great bbq. One thing Franklins is good at is marketing, they crush that game.

You are comparing NC and SF brisket to Texas brisket, of course Franklins is going to seem like the tits in that scenario. Compare franklins to other top notch bbq places around here and Lockhart, and the differences become much smaller.

So at first you're saying that Franklin's food isn't good....but there's not much of a difference between Franklin's and other good Austin BBQ joints, but you're still implying that Franklin's is better just not worth the wait. Those are two very different statements.

So at first you're saying that Franklin's food isn't good....but there's not much of a difference between Franklin's and other good Austin BBQ joints, but you're still implying that Franklin's is better just not worth the wait. Those are two very different statements.

WFcatamount22 is just trying to be a hipster. He goes to other, cooler BBQ places.

What is this? Also, I might can probably get you the hookup with the brunette.

Go on....

And it is a play at Spiderhouse where the actors perform drunk Shakespeare, with one of the lead characters being super wasted. The whole crowd is boozing and the jester who "runs" the show makes the actors take a shot if they mess up their lines or go off book too much. We saw A Midsummer Night's Dream and the chick playing Hermia was absolutely bombed. It was great. She was making out hard with the other actors and dropping F bombs left and right, yet they were still able to tell the story very effectively. And she was hot. I was laughing my ass the entire time.

I think it is still playing there for another week or two. You should definitely go.

Go on....

And it is a play at Spiderhouse where the actors perform drunk Shakespeare, with one of the lead characters being super wasted. The whole crowd is boozing and the jester who "runs" the show makes the actors take a shot if they mess up their lines or go off book too much. We saw A Midsummer Night's Dream and the chick playing Hermia was absolutely bombed. It was great. She was making out hard with the other actors and dropping F bombs left and right, yet they were still able to tell the story very effectively. And she was hot. I was laughing my ass the entire time.

I think it is still playing there for another week or two. You should definitely go.

This sounds amazing

Brisket sucks in general. Definitely the worst of the bbqs.

Yet, it's still best in Charlotte.

THE `GRILL MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE' HAS SPOKEN
Queen City boasts the king of brisket
Ouch, that proclamation's gotta hurt deep in the heart of Texas

HELEN SCHWAB
Restaurant Writer

JASON E. MICZEK/Observer Staff
The beef brisket sandwich at Mac's Beer Bites and BBQ is served open faced with grilled onions. The brisket was recently called the country's best by BBQ expert Rick Browne.

Pity Texans this morning.

They went to bed last night thinking their biggest Charlotte controversy was the new starting quarterback for the Cowboys against the Panthers on Sunday.

Hang on to your Stetsons, boys. It's about to get worse.

The Observer has learned that Rick Browne declares the Texas beef brisket at Mac's Speed Shop on South Boulevard the "best I've ever had."

Which may not strike you as significant unless you know that Browne hosts PBS's nationally televised "Barbecue America," has written bushels of barbecue cookbooks and reviews, and is alternately dubbed "Grill Master of the Universe," "America's king of outdoor cooking" and "Dr. Que."

"The meat was tender, juicy, and loaded with flavor," he e-mailed this week. "All this from a piece of meat that's tough as a snow tire, and often as tasteless."

Browne was in town for about a week in late September, attending Charlotte Shout's Blues, Brews & BBQ competition, then appearing at its culinary festival. In between, he found Mac's.

He ate there five days in a row.

"My staff called and said, `This guy wants to see you,' " says Mac's co-owner, J.D. Duncan. "I wasn't familiar with his show. ... He went crazy for two hours. I couldn't get up and leave."

The challenge of brisket, says Browne, is that the cut -- from the cow's lower chest -- is one of the hardest meats to hold over and serve the next day. "I've been in tons of restaurants where you know it's the second day. This technique ... It's brilliant."

Duncan explains: Mac's cooks the meat completely in a Southern Pride smoker, then throws it in a cooler to bring it down to 42 degrees. It's then sliced to order, half an inch thick, trimmed, and slapped on the grill. "When the oils and fats start to melt, it's like eating a piece of tenderloin."

Browne shot some impromptu footage at Mac's for his show, and it's slated to air in the spring, on 231 stations nationwide. (Duncan also says NBC came out to shoot footage Friday, for a segment on Texas vs. N.C. barbecue during the third quarter of Sunday's game.)

The brisket proclamation should be enough to get Browne in trouble here, too -- plenty of Charlotteans would argue for somewhere other than Mac's as the top 'cue in town. But Browne doesn't stop there.

"Mac's hush puppies are to die for. My favorite used to be in Shelby: Bridges. Sorry. They got beat out."

By the way, Browne loved Mac's pork, too. He may or may not know that the guy doing that pork now -- 1,200 pounds of it a week, says Duncan -- is Charles Semail. A French chef.

WANT TO TRY THE NOW-FAMOUS BRISKET?

Mac's Speed Shop opened in 2005, a venture led by J.D. Duncan, who also has the much more upscale Bonterra's in Dilworth and Ratcliffe's on the Green uptown (which debuted a menu of "classic Charleston cuisine" this week). Mac's, in a sparely renovated transmission shop, draws a diverse crowd that includes motorcycle enthusiasts who park their rides up front. Along with the brisket ($14 for three slices, two sides and Texas toast), it serves pork barbecue, smoked wings, deviled eggs, fish tacos, salads and more. 2511 South Blvd.; 704-522-6227.

Back