• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BB Staff: Woodberry, Ballard, & Bauman (DOBO) join from Tulsa; ChillIN

Ball State Deac

Reaction score
His Tulsa bio: http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/woodberry_steve00.html

His twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveWoodberry

Bauman article from the other BSD: http://www.bloggersodear.com/2014/4...wake-forest-basketball-director-of-basketball

Rusty LaRue ‏@Rusty_LaRue 2m
Grateful for 5 years at Wake Forest. Looks like I am a free agent again for the first time in ten years. Excited to see what comes next!

Brett Ballard @CoachBBallard
Excited to be heading to Wake Forest to join @CoachDManning staff. Great opportunity for me. #ACC #DemonDeacon
-----

Brett Ballard is coming to Wake as an asst. coach.
http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports...d_brett00.html

Last edited:
He played for Roy. Gross.

Kyle Weems?

I was hoping Manning could shake loose at least one elite recruiter from the Jayhawk coaching tree to come with him. I'm not really sold on his Tulsa assistants but I guess I don't know that much about them other than internet bios in any case.

Steve Woodberry's Kansas jersey was the first one I owned. I loved that guy as a player.

I have no idea how he'll do with recruiting, but he's got an ass ton of experience playing overseas. If nothing else, this should demonstrate Manning's emphasis on defense-first basketball.

the Tulsa assistants are underwhelming. I know DMann is familiar with these guys but they are not very impressive.

Never heard of him, but Manning should be allowed to fill his staff with whomever he wants. It's his neck that is on the line.

I had originally said we need to clean house and let the new coach bring in a new staff. I'm not impressed with Manning's assistants, though, so it might not be a bad idea to try and keep Battle. He's got to be better than anyone Manning is going to get right now. I still don't see where Chill would fit in on the bench, though. I suppose if Battle moves on then Chill might be worth considering.

Never heard of him, but Manning should be allowed to fill his staff with whomever he wants. It's his neck that is on the line.

That's not really the debate. The debate is whether he will put together a staff that can succeed in the ACC.

Bro's got 5 kids from 2 marriages, so I'm sure he'll be fine working the recruiting trail.

That's not really the debate. The debate is whether he will put together a staff that can succeed in the ACC.

We mainly agree, but it is on Manning to take charge of the program and bring in the assistants that he thinks can help Wake succeed in the ACC.

So we hire Manning based on his results at Tulsa but think he should ditch the assistants that helped him produce those results.

We will see if the Dean Smith tree pays off for us.

Woodberry was a solid player and a leader. His pro career and assistant gigs look good as well.

Seems like a solid player, pro and coach to TBD. Also, he was an ECON major. Not the typical Jock major.

So we hire Manning based on his results at Tulsa but think he should ditch the assistants that helped him produce those results.

We will see if the Dean Smith tree pays off for us.

My biggest concern with Coach Manning is his (apparent) lack of recruiting skill. I think most of us agree that the most likely way Wake is going to be successful is by accumulating talent significantly higher than that currently on campus. So forgive me if I want him to put together a staff that has at least 1 guy with a proven record as a recruiter.

And frankly, I'm not particularly critical of Coach Woodberry. He may fill an important role if other positions are filled with good recruiters.

Back