• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

I still think that the Vigor will be better than the bionic. I'm gonna wait. I also don't find motorola phones that attractive anyway, HTC's are better looking and better in general.

One thing I have noticed is that system updates/app downloads take infinitely longer on my Iphone than on my Incredible. It's annoying.

One thing I have noticed is that system updates/app downloads take infinitely longer on my Iphone than on my Incredible. It's annoying.

Oh yeah, I forgot about you carrying around an iPhone this week. Any other comments?

Oh yeah, I forgot about you carrying around an iPhone this week. Any other comments?

If I didn't like customizing my phone and wasn't very tech savvy(I know you can do tech savvy things with an Iphone), I'd consider using this phone.

It is easy to use and the interface is polished. I wish I could jailbreak it to get some experience with that, but I don't think I should be messing with a phone that isn't mine.

No real complaints about the phone except the painfully slow downloads/updates.

Okay, this seems like the best place for this question. My wife got me an iPhone over the weekend to replace my Blackberry, and I'm about to throw the damn thing out the window. I understand that it has all these cool apps and bells and whistles to hold my schlong for me as I take a leak, but how the fuck do I simply customize the actual telephone and e-mail notifications?

All I want to do is set up different call/e-mail/text notification profiles that vary the ring/vibration/silence depending on where I am (home, office, court, meeting), and also have it give me the badge notification of a new e-mail without chiming (so it is not chiming 500 times per day due to listserv e-mails but I can still see there are e-mails there without opening the e-mail program). I've wasted hours trying to figure out what should be these simplest of tasks (including looking for apps that do it), but I can't figure it out. This is a telephone, the ring profiles should be the first and foremost attribute, just like they were on my blackberry and even flip phones I've had in the past. Am I completely blind? Or is Apple too concerned with me being able to launch a space mission from this device that they don't care about me actually knowing I have an incoming telephone call?

Okay, this seems like the best place for this question. My wife got me an iPhone over the weekend to replace my Blackberry, and I'm about to throw the damn thing out the window. I understand that it has all these cool apps and bells and whistles to hold my schlong for me as I take a leak, but how the fuck do I simply customize the actual telephone and e-mail notifications?

All I want to do is set up different call/e-mail/text notification profiles that vary the ring/vibration/silence depending on where I am (home, office, court, meeting), and also have it give me the badge notification of a new e-mail without chiming (so it is not chiming 500 times per day due to listserv e-mails but I can still see there are e-mails there without opening the e-mail program). I've wasted hours trying to figure out what should be these simplest of tasks (including looking for apps that do it), but I can't figure it out. This is a telephone, the ring profiles should be the first and foremost attribute, just like they were on my blackberry and even flip phones I've had in the past. Am I completely blind? Or is Apple too concerned with me being able to launch a space mission from this device that they don't care about me actually knowing I have an incoming telephone call?

Go to Settings - > Sounds and you can turn off the chime from emails.

I have no idea about profiles for ring-tones. I don't use them and I don't know where to find them (if there are any.. A cursory glance and search says no)

I only switch between silent and active mode(non-silent). For this, I use the switch above the volume buttons.

Yeah but when I turn off the e-mail chime it also turns off the badge notification. Maybe it is not supposed to do that?

Yeah but when I turn off the e-mail chime it also turns off the badge notification. Maybe it is not supposed to do that?

I'm not sure of a way around it, but I've only had the phone for a few days. Someone more experienced want to chime in?

Not really sure, my alerts are all set to the defaults. I can try digging later when I have more time.

Edit: You might try the forums over at www.tipb.com You can probably find an answer there.

Thanks, I'll see if those guys have any answers. Otherwise, I think this is going back and I'll see what other phones are available.

ETA: a search of those forums indicates that notification profiles were not available as of 2009. I'll see if anything has been updated, but I find that utterly idiotic, though I guess not unexpected given the general perception that Apple is not the right platform for business.

Bionic is looking solid. Droid Life has a tip that it's getting 15 hours of battery life with moderate use. And it's going to be a more powerful phone than the Tbolt, looks promising.

I'm under contract through July 2012, so I'm hoping for quad-core Ice Cream Sandwich phones to be on the market by then.

Thanks, I'll see if those guys have any answers. Otherwise, I think this is going back and I'll see what other phones are available.

ETA: a search of those forums indicates that notification profiles were not available as of 2009. I'll see if anything has been updated, but I find that utterly idiotic, though I guess not unexpected given the general perception that Apple is not the right platform for business.

It's true that customization without jailbreaking has never been a strong suit of Apple's. That may change when iOS 5 releases next month.

Here's a question: when I turn on my Charge, the volume during boot up (sounds like things are exploding in space) is outrageously high. Is there a way to turn that off, or at least down? Even when media volume is set low, the boot up volume is crazy.

Does anyone have a rough date when the IPhone 5 is going to be out? My old IPhone is on its last legs and I don't want to get an outdated model if the new one is right around the corner.

Does anyone have a rough date when the IPhone 5 is going to be out? My old IPhone is on its last legs and I don't want to get an outdated model if the new one is right around the corner.

End of September/Early October

Here's a question: when I turn on my Charge, the volume during boot up (sounds like things are exploding in space) is outrageously high. Is there a way to turn that off, or at least down? Even when media volume is set low, the boot up volume is crazy.

No clue, but I bet if you Google it, other Charge owners will be discussing it in a forum somewhere.

I have. The only answers I've found are rooting the phone.

I don't keep up with Charge info. Seems like you could root, or if you're not on 2.3 yet, when they update it, perhaps they will address it. But if you're already on 2.3, then who knows when the next update will come.

Back