• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

Just picked up the Bionic. I might leave work a little early today to get it set up at the Verizon store.

You can't set it up yourself? Those motherfuckers will charge you for the stupidest shit if you aren't careful.

Yeah, I had tried to set up my iPhone online and it didn't work, but I managed to get this one set up and working.

I really like it. WTB unlocked root, though.

Just answered my first phone call. It all feels very polished. I like it a lot.

14m3loj.jpg

24p093r.jpg

15i2kb9.jpg

mifm6w.jpg

I have a BB Curve which I got November 2009. It broke so I went to Verizon and they/RIM are shipping another to me.

2 questions.

1) I am a dummy and either didn't back up my contacts/pics/whatever or screwed up when I did. I don't remember. The phone will not turn on so the guy at Verizon said I am screwed as far as getting anything off the phone. Is this correct?

2) I am eligible for an upgrade/new phone. I like the Curve. I use my phone for gmaps, email, some browsing, some listening to music. I know the Droids are sweet and can do all sorts of things but not sure that I would use it to the full potential. Thus I am hesitant to drop $200 plus on a new phone. I don't care if its all touchscreen or not.

What do people think about the BB Torch versus Driod 3, X2, Incredible 2, Pro? I don't really know much about any of these but they are the ones in my price range. Since the curve does what I like well, should I just pocket the cash and keep it?

The maps/browsing/music experience is much much better on a droid. I'd go Inc2 if it's in your price range.

Hows the battery life on the Bionic? I'm going to wait for the HTC Vigor to come out and compare which one is better. From the stats the Vigor looks like its gonna be a beast and if it comes with a set of beats headphones then itll be tough to beat.

My Bionic gets about a day and a half to two days of average usage.

If I have a lot of media/calls/texting usage, it probably gets close to a day.

I have a BB Curve which I got November 2009. It broke so I went to Verizon and they/RIM are shipping another to me.

2 questions.

1) I am a dummy and either didn't back up my contacts/pics/whatever or screwed up when I did. I don't remember. The phone will not turn on so the guy at Verizon said I am screwed as far as getting anything off the phone. Is this correct?

2) I am eligible for an upgrade/new phone. I like the Curve. I use my phone for gmaps, email, some browsing, some listening to music. I know the Droids are sweet and can do all sorts of things but not sure that I would use it to the full potential. Thus I am hesitant to drop $200 plus on a new phone. I don't care if its all touchscreen or not.

What do people think about the BB Torch versus Driod 3, X2, Incredible 2, Pro? I don't really know much about any of these but they are the ones in my price range. Since the curve does what I like well, should I just pocket the cash and keep it?

There are only three ways I can think of that you can recover your contacts: 1) You were regularly backup up using Blackberry Desktop Manager 2)You were using Verizon's contact syncing app, or 3) You had contact syncing turned on w/ a Gmail account. If you weren't backing up in some way, then yes, sadly, your contacts are six feet under.

To the second question, that's sort of tricky. It depends on what is important to you. In terms of browsing the web, email (assuming you're using Gmail), navigation, etc. the Droid line completely and totally outclasses the Blackberry. The strength of the Blackberry has always been messaging and their push e-mail system (their implementation of push is still the best). That's become less and less the case as time has gone along, though. Honestly, the divide between their e-mail services and the e-mail services on Android and iOS isn't very wide any more. When I switched to another platform, I didn't notice enough of a difference for it to make an impact. Messaging has also become a moot point with Google and Apple exceeding BBM at this point with their own messaging apps. The one area that you can still count as a win for Blackberry vs. Android is battery life, although many here will tell you Android has gotten much better, Blackberry is still going to have the edge here (albeit slightly).

Email and browsing seem fine to me on the BB but all the droids have much larger screens. As far as messaging, I do have a lot of friends that have bb's so bbm is nice. I thought I heard a rumor that bbm was coming to android at some point though.I don't really follow when you talk about push email systems but I do notice people with droids are really happy minus some battery life stuff. The droids all seem really large to me so that is a negative. I do think I want something touchscreen for better games.

If I do go droid, are any heads and shoulders about the rest or should I just pick whichever one is most on sale?

Does anyone have a bb torch?

BBM may or may not end up on other platforms. RIM has become really schizo and desperate as a company lately, so they're about as likely to put BBM on Android as they are to go out of business at this point. Basically, don't hold your breath on that.

When I say "push," what that means is that the e-mail goes through a server and is "pushed" to your device, rather than your device polling the server on a fixed schedule to "pull" the e-mail to your device. Push works very well with Gmail on Droid devices, but Blackberry's implementation of it is, IMO, still the best. The only thing I dislike about BlackBerry e-mail is that, at least on OS5 when I used it, it didn't display HTML properly and truncated messages. That doesn't happen on iOS or Android.

From what I know about the Torch, I know that the processor is underpowered, causing the phone to be sluggish. The other major complaint with the Blackberry is the lack of developer support (apps).

There is absolutely different tiers of devices. DO NOT go for the cheap Android devices. They're cheap for a reason. If you're going to spend money on a new phone, get some good hardware. Of course what phone you get will depend on what carrier you're with. If I were going to get a Droid, this would be my direction (this is completely opinion, but TW is a good person to ask as well).

Sprint: Nexus S - This is pure Android, no silly skins, no manufacturer nonsense. The Nexus line is Google's "vision" for what an Android phone should be.

Verizon: Droid Bionic - This one is pricey because it's new, but it takes advantage of Verizon's 4G LTE network. It's blazing fast, has top of the line internal components, and since it's the first in Verizon's second wave of LTE phones, it has some kinks worked out.

AT&T: Motorola Atrix 4G - Basically the same phone as the Bionic, only it came out about six months prior. The 4G refers to HSPA+, so it's not true 4G (at least not in the sense that LTE is), but it's still a very nice Android set.

T-Mobile: LOL, nobody uses T-Mobile. Unless you do, then I'd probably say MyTouch 4G or the Nexus S.

Thanks for the response/explanation. So I take it these 4GLTE commercials are actual about something and not just another gimmicky thing? I have Verizon so I will see if I'm in areas that get it. What do you know about Verizon's other Droids? I looked at Cnet reviews but they all have good reviews. It would be unwise for me to spend what the Bionic costs now on a new phone.

When will Verizon make available the Gingerbread upgrade for my Charge? I know I can download it now, but it's not official and would potentially void my warranty.

Back