• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

If you don't need 4G, I would recommend Droid X2. I have the original X and it's a great phone.

I've heard the Charge is good, better battery life than the Tbolt. Moto was supposed to have the Bionic out soon, but it's been delayed, but that will be the phone to have when they get it releaseed. In my experience Samsung doesn't make the best touchscreens out there (after a year or so, they start to go bad). LG has the Revolution coming out tomorrow as well.

I wouldn't buy the Charge, Tbolt or Revolution though, I'd wait if at all possible. Those three phones all have single core processors, which is last year's technology. Hold out a bit if you can and get something with a dual core (X2 has it, but no front camera or 4g if those matter to you).

cell phone question: If you get a 4G phone, do you HAVE to pay for 4G service? I really don't need my cell phone to be THAT fast, but I would like a nice phone. 3G is fast enough for me.

If you don't need 4G, I would recommend Droid X2. I have the original X and it's a great phone.

I've heard the Charge is good, better battery life than the Tbolt. Moto was supposed to have the Bionic out soon, but it's been delayed, but that will be the phone to have when they get it releaseed. In my experience Samsung doesn't make the best touchscreens out there (after a year or so, they start to go bad). LG has the Revolution coming out tomorrow as well.

I wouldn't buy the Charge, Tbolt or Revolution though, I'd wait if at all possible. Those three phones all have single core processors, which is last year's technology. Hold out a bit if you can and get something with a dual core (X2 has it, but no front camera or 4g if those matter to you).

I bought a new phone about a month and a half ago (got the iPhone 4 with Verizon which I'm very pleased with. Good battery life, good call quality, easy to use) but almost went with the Droid X2.

Go to the store and play with them to see what you might like.

cell phone question: If you get a 4G phone, do you HAVE to pay for 4G service? I really don't need my cell phone to be THAT fast, but I would like a nice phone. 3G is fast enough for me.

I think so, but Verizon doesn't have tiered 4g plans yet (they're coming), so if you get a 4g contract today, you can still do the 29.99 unlimited data, which is worth getting if you can.

I think so, but Verizon doesn't have tiered 4g plans yet (they're coming), so if you get a 4g contract today, you can still do the 29.99 unlimited data, which is worth getting if you can.

but isn't that an extra 4G plan on top of the data plan? That's the way I understood it. I'm not up for an upgrade until January though, so I haven't researched it that much.

but isn't that an extra 4G plan on top of the data plan? That's the way I understood it. I'm not up for an upgrade until January though, so I haven't researched it that much.

That's not my understanding. Pretty sure as of right now, a data plan for a 4g or 3g phone is 29.99 unlimited. My brother has a Tbolt and I know he wouldn't pay extra for 4g coverage.

Is the droid X2 for verizon just a turrible idea? I've never had a smart phone before and that one looks big and shiny to me.

I have the Droid Charge with Verizon. (I bought it the day they came out to replace my BlackBerry, before my contract expired.)

Cool technology and user friendly. Great screen. The downside is battery life. Better than other 4Gs, but it won't get you more than a day's life so you will need to adjust your habits.

Send me a pm if you want more info. You are welcome to check it out. I work in SouthPark and live in Cotswold.

My wife just got the Iphone4, which is also a great option.

Thanks, AMC. Hell, I don't get a full day on my BB anymore, so a day is fine. As long as it lasts a day, it's good with me. Plus, I don't need the GPS when I travel, and as some know, I'm anti-BlueTooth guy, so I don't need that, either.

how much of a difference in speed is there between 4 and 3G? The two phones I'm looking at are the charge and the droid X2. I like everything about the X2 but for the fact that it lacks 4G capability. Is this something that should actually concern me?

If you are using tons of data and/or like the big screen, I would recommend the Charge. It might change your mind on Bluetooth. Unlike the BlackBerry, it is very easy to turn on and off for any given call.

For basic phone and e-mail, I would think hard about the Iphone4.

In a worst case, Verizon gives you a 30-day period with the phone before you are stuck with it. Best of luck with whatever you pick.

If you are using tons of data and/or like the big screen, I would recommend the Charge. It might change your mind on Bluetooth. Unlike the BlackBerry, it is very easy to turn on and off for any given call.

In a worst case, Verizon gives you a 30-day period with the phone before you are stuck with it. Best of luck with whatever you pick.

wait
the charge has bluetooth right? I've never used one of those ear piece things, but my new car (i.e. the used car i bought 4 months ago) has bluetooth and I just figured it out like 6 weeks ago....I'm in love with it and don't think I can live without it

Verizon no longer gives 30 days...they changed it to 14 days for smartphones.

Also of note re: the new LG is Verizon has it all Bing'd out. I would find that very annoying.

Unless you have an ancient bberry, bluetooth is super easy to toggle on a berry. I have built in bluetooth in my ride as well. It is super $$$.

Pro Tip: NEVER engage builtin car bluetooth when riding with a significant other. Having a hoodrat call and the name popping up on the screen can be dagger.

how much of a difference in speed is there between 4 and 3G? The two phones I'm looking at are the charge and the droid X2. I like everything about the X2 but for the fact that it lacks 4G capability. Is this something that should actually concern me?
4G is REALLY fast compared to 3G, when I was using it in Chicago I was getting 12-15Mbps down and 3-6Mbps up, faster than a RoadRunner cable connection. It does drain the battery faster. I recently got the extended battery for my thunderbolt though and it lasts quite a bit longer than the standard battery. Now I just need them to turn on the 4G in Winston.

wait
the charge has bluetooth right? I've never used one of those ear piece things, but my new car (i.e. the used car i bought 4 months ago) has bluetooth and I just figured it out like 6 weeks ago....I'm in love with it and don't think I can live without it

Yes, the Charge has Bluetooth. It runs through my car stereo. Sound quality is excellent. Easy to turn it on and off, depending on the passengers in the car. Almost a must with a manual transmission while holding coffee. Very convenient.

4G is REALLY fast compared to 3G, when I was using it in Chicago I was getting 12-15Mbps down and 3-6Mbps up, faster than a RoadRunner cable connection. It does drain the battery faster. I recently got the extended battery for my thunderbolt though and it lasts quite a bit longer than the standard battery. Now I just need them to turn on the 4G in Winston.

Extended battery? Didn't know about them. How much better are they?

Back