• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

BTW, I talked to AMC on his phone this afternoon and could barely understand him. Don't know whether to blame the iPhone or the Charge.

Just got an email from Verizon a couple of minutes ago, offering me a "special private sale discount" :tard: on the ThunderBolt. $149.99.

I switched from a BB Tour to a Droid X several months ago and am very happy. I'd stay away from Samsung since it took them forever to upgrade their Galaxy S phones to 2.2. I'm a bit leery about battery drain on 4G as most 3g phones struggle to get through a day if you're a heavy user.

I hate to say it, but I'll look seriously at the iPhone 5 when it comes out.

The battery issue on 4Gs is a problem. However, I just set mine up to use the wi-fi in my office. That seems to make a big improvement in battery life. I will be curious to see how much additional improvement I get from setting it up on my home network, as well.

Overall, I am impressed with the Charge for the Droid platform. But I agree that the Iphone 4 is also a great option. Can't go wrong with either option. I will be curious to see what the Iphone 5 has to offer.

I know some people want a dual core phone. Isn't that mostly geared toward gaming? Wouldn't it put further strain on the battery, as well?

I got the Thunderbolt on launch day with the extended battery and it is awesome. They just came out with cases for the extended battery this week ( http://www.seidioonline.com/category-s/5448.htm ).

A few weeks ago they turned on the 4G for a few minutes in Winston to test it but then they turned it back off. It was quite the tease, but I have been in Wilmington for the past 2 weeks where they have LTE and it is sooo fast. It was also nice locking in to Unlimited 4G before Verizon pulls the plug on that.

As far as the Samsung vs HTC, I like Sense and I hear Samsung is notoriously slow with updates.

I know some people want a dual core phone. Isn't that mostly geared toward gaming? Wouldn't it put further strain on the battery, as well?

It supposedly will not. The company designing the dual core is making it much more efficient so while you can do more stuff quicker on your phone, it won't eat through your phone at a rate equal to the increased performance. They claim it wont decrease battery life at all but I'd suspect that there might be a slight decrease in battery life in future third party tests.

Still, battery issues seem to be more of an issue with specific phones/manufacturers and not the whole Android platform. My Droid X has an enormous battery life.

Last edited:
I'm this close to grabbing this deal.

http://wireless.amazon.com/Samsung-DROID-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B004XD1S4M

$199 Memorial Day sale on the Droid Charge ($149 for the HTC TB, but I just hear too many bad things about it to pull the trigger). This is $50 better than getting it directly from Verizon.

I'd like to wait another six months on some of the phones discussed earlier (dual core), but have some concerns. First, I need a new phone NOW. Badly. Second, with the tiered pricing I've read about, upgrading to a 4G phone now will lock me into my better, current plan - which won't be available with the aforementioned phones.

Deal or no deal?

You won't go wrong with that deal; I would get the same phone again.

FWIW, I connected my Charge to my home and office wi-fi. That seems to extend the battery life.

For those with android, you can get all of the emulators that were removed from the android market for free right now at slideme.org

just picked up the SNES, gameboy color, genesis, NES, and I already had the N64 one but it was updated.

After you get those, buy the romfetcher classic for 3 bucks on android market and you have all the games you will ever need on your phone.

This prob wont be up for long because google was trying to remove the emulators so get em soon.

Just stopped at the Verizon store to check out the HTC TB and Droid Charge. Place was absolutely mobbed. Did confirm that they can't match the Amazon deal. I assume if I get this thing via Amazon that I have access to fixes, etc... in my regular bricks and mortar Verizon store?

For those with android, you can get all of the emulators that were removed from the android market for free right now at slideme.org

just picked up the SNES, gameboy color, genesis, NES, and I already had the N64 one but it was updated.

After you get those, buy the romfetcher classic for 3 bucks on android market and you have all the games you will ever need on your phone.

This prob wont be up for long because google was trying to remove the emulators so get em soon.

how exactly do the emulators work? you download a system emulator and then can buy games that go with it on the android market?

Emulation is one of those legal grey areas. It's not legal to sell the roms (games), but you can get them for free via various download sites. If I remember correctly, it's only legal to possess a rom if you own the original cartridge. It's all sort of like downloading music. It's illegal, but getting caught is pretty rare.

That being said, emulators and roms are pretty awesome.

Whatever the biggest modern cell phone is, that's the best.

Unless you have tiny girl hands of course.

how exactly do the emulators work? you download a system emulator and then can buy games that go with it on the android market?

The emulator lets you use your phone as a console. The actual games you just download with romfetcher.

Played a little NBA Jam this afternoon as I was waiting for some pants to be tailored. Pretty awesome.

Received my new Droid last night. It's killer. I've really grown to love it over the 13 hours I've had it. :D One thing I can't figure out is how to get out of certain apps, such as Twitter. It's running in the background (new tweets show up in Notifications) and I can't figure out how to stop it, short of logging out - which I don't want to do, right (won't that be a pain, having to log in/out each time)?

Good call on this thing, AMC. Samsung's done a really nice job with it. Are there any apps you've found that you feel I should absolutely download?

Bumping this thread on the announcement that Verizon is launching LTE in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) on July 21st, so those of you in the area thinking of buying an LTE Droid will actually be able to take advantage of it.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/techjunkie/date-set-for-verizons-lte-in-the-triangle

Bad news, though, is Engadget and BGR reported yesterday that tiered pricing is also going live in July. Same pricing will apply for 3G and 4G data, rumored to be $30 for 2GB of data monthly. If you're in the market for a phone, NOW is the time. Unless you're waiting for iPhone 5 or the Bionic, jump on the Charge or the Thunderbolt and take advantage of the soon to be extinct unlimited data.

Busy news day for phones, BGR is saying that the iPhone 5 may be coming in August with a radical redesign (see the mock-up someone did below). Supposedly they're slowing iPhone 4 production and beginning to ramp up production for the new one. http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/22/iphone-5-design/

iPhone5_mockup.jpg

One thing that bugs me about the iPhone icons is that the weather icon always shows 73 degrees. I wish they could make that a live icon that updated itself.

Hearing yesterday's news (also posted above by Deadbolt), I think I might have to bite the bullet and try to lock in unlimited data on Verizon.

You only mention the Charge and the Thunderbolt. What about the LG Revolution? Does anyone here have one of those - opinions? I'm used to LG phones but I hear they aren't as smart as other smartphones.

Back