• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

so far, I have had a day with the LG Revolution and I'm not thrilled.
1) battery life is awful. with regular use it drains within 2-3 hours.
2) email doesn't feel right - too many steps to delete emails, typing isn't comfortable
3) speed is great though
4) and so is verizon - I'm thinking i may just switch to verizon but stay with an iphone.

Welp, no 4g on teh verizon iPhone iirc so if you're talking data speeds, they won't compare.

so far, I have had a day with the LG Revolution and I'm not thrilled.
1) battery life is awful. with regular use it drains within 2-3 hours.
2) email doesn't feel right - too many steps to delete emails, typing isn't comfortable
3) speed is great though
4) and so is verizon - I'm thinking i may just switch to verizon but stay with an iphone.

I just got my Revolution yesterday.
I haven't tried to delete an email, but did you activate Swype? Awesome for "typing"

If you're having probs with email, maybe get a different app? You don't have to use the default one.I pretty much only use gmail so I use teh gmail app for all my email stuff, but it seems pretty intuitive.

Swype is awesome. Totally changed my world when it came to touch screen typing.

As for battery, just make sure you keep GPS off when you aren't using that, as well as bluetooth. I actually get way better battery life if I turn on Wi-Fi in areas that have it (so basically as long as it's not constantly scanning for new networks).

Welp, no 4g on teh verizon iPhone iirc so if you're talking data speeds, they won't compare.

I've got a Verizon iPhone in Charlotte and I'm happy with the speed. I don't play online gmes or watch videos though. Primarily surfing and email.

If I currently have unlimited data, when my phone plan is up for renew/get another phone, will I be able to keep the unlimited data? Or will renewing the plan mean switching to the tiers?

Since I'm grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan, it might actually be cheaper for me to get a phone off of eBay and just keep my contract as is instead of upgrading with my discount and then having to sign a new contract with tiered data. Thoughts?

If I currently have unlimited data, when my phone plan is up for renew/get another phone, will I be able to keep the unlimited data? Or will renewing the plan mean switching to the tiers?

Yes, when you upgrade your phone, you can keep the same unlimited data plan. The new tiered data pricing only applies to new lines. Anyone with unlimited now can keep it, even when upgrading (at least for now, this could change down the road).

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-new-data-plans-broken-down-complete-detail

Here's what I'm really looking for in a phone. I am aware that this phone doesn't exist, but it's what I'd like (in order of importance):

1) Verizon (i am DONE with AT&T)
2) Good apps and overall "feel"
3) Blackberry quality email
4) good battery life - charge every day, but not every 2 hours
5) 4G

For these reasons, I'm probably going to end up back with an iPhone with Verizon. I am not crazy about the email/calendar on the iphone, but I can live with them. I also don't really want to have to go buy all new apps. And I know the battery life is fine with an iPhone. I'll be sad not to have 4G, but something has to give.

Here's what I'm really looking for in a phone. I am aware that this phone doesn't exist, but it's what I'd like (in order of importance):

1) Verizon (i am DONE with AT&T)
2) Good apps and overall "feel"
3) Blackberry quality email
4) good battery life - charge every day, but not every 2 hours
5) 4G

For these reasons, I'm probably going to end up back with an iPhone with Verizon. I am not crazy about the email/calendar on the iphone, but I can live with them. I also don't really want to have to go buy all new apps. And I know the battery life is fine with an iPhone. I'll be sad not to have 4G, but something has to give.

You could gamble and wait for the iPhone 5 in September, but there's no guarantee of 4G.

Personally, I like the Calendar and Mail apps for the iPhone, but I also have a Mac, so that's a big reason why. I DO wish Apple could implement push technology better. That is the one area the Blackberry just destroys everybody.

Hmm, honestly, your droid should be lasting a lot longer than 3-4 hours with moderate use. I routinely got 14-16 before I rooted mine, and I had the incredible with a much smaller standard battery than some of the more recent phones.

The email comes down to which app you choose to use. As far as typing goes, have you used Swype yet? That alone keeps me from ever considering an iPhone.. makes typing on a touch screen so awesome.

You could gamble and wait for the iPhone 5 in September, but there's no guarantee of 4G.

Personally, I like the Calendar and Mail apps for the iPhone, but I also have a Mac, so that's a big reason why. I DO wish Apple could implement push technology better. That is the one area the Blackberry just destroys everybody.

Hehe, yeah I use gmail's calender, so the opposite is true for me. I imagine that's what it boils down to for a lot of people.

I feel like teh android email push is really fast, at least w/ mah gmail accounts. It usually shows up within 10 seconds of getting it in my mailbox. Or are you referring to something else?

Hmm, honestly, your droid should be lasting a lot longer than 3-4 hours with moderate use. I routinely got 14-16 before I rooted mine, and I had the incredible with a much smaller standard battery than some of the more recent phones.

The email comes down to which app you choose to use. As far as typing goes, have you used Swype yet? That alone keeps me from ever considering an iPhone.. makes typing on a touch screen so awesome.

What ROM are you running on the DINC? My fiancee has one, but I haven't gotten around to rooting it yet. I need to do something to fix her battery life.

I got an EVO (Sprint) a couple weeks ago and it's working out great. Battery lasts a full day with moderate use. 4G speeds are awesome. Exchange Active Sync seems to push work e-mail pretty well and my calendar syncs well. I don't love the touchscreen, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

What ROM are you running on the DINC? My fiancee has one, but I haven't gotten around to rooting it yet. I need to do something to fix her battery life.

Right now I'm playing around with a custom one called liquidlight that's kind of strange (and battery life is about 18-24 hrs on this one). I was getting great battery life w/ the Uber-Z though (iirc).

I'm probs going to try out one of the new sense 3.0 roms this weekend though. Gimmie dat awesome new lockscreen.

EVO 3D is shipped, i get mine on Monday. Pumped.

You will have to give an update post once you get it, because I still have no idea what use I would get out of a 3D phone (main reason I just went to the Sprint store and bought the non-3D version).

I had my Revolution off the charger yesterday for over 15 hours and by the end of the day it was complaining that it needed to be charged, but it lasted fine. I think I used it "moderately" though I'm really not sure what use levels constitute light, moderate, heavy use.

For the next few days as I get used to it, I'm going to try to not charge it as much as possible (aka not in the car or if I'm home for an hour; but still overnight) and see how long it can go with what level of usage.

Hehe, yeah I use gmail's calender, so the opposite is true for me. I imagine that's what it boils down to for a lot of people.

I feel like teh android email push is really fast, at least w/ mah gmail accounts. It usually shows up within 10 seconds of getting it in my mailbox. Or are you referring to something else?

Sort of. I don't really notice the e-mail too much, except that I'll have no e-mails one second, and the eleventy billion show up all at once. Facebook is pretty terrible about this, too.

Like you, though, I think the strength of both Android and iOS is how they integrate. For me, the fact that my phone integrates with my Mac so seamlessly is awesome. I can go from one to the other interchangeably, which makes things (especially work related things) infinitely easier. Same goes for Android and all the Google services. For me, a lot of how much I like a phone is how well it works with all my other devices.

Back