• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

I've lost so many iphones drunk in cabs over the last year that I am under contract with AT&T until 2015 or something like that. I really want Verizon.

Thankfully I smartened up and went to Best Buy and bought a bunch of $9 go phones so now when I got out I throw the SIM card in there and mitigate costs (only $20 for a new SIM card!).

I now have to pay full retail price if I want another iphone. I got my last one by trading my old ipod and $100 to a dude named Alexis Guitierrez. When I turn it on a apple shaped skull comes up instead of the the little apple so that's disconcerting. The battery is also completely shot.

Deadbolt - any inside knowledge on an actual release date for the Droid Bionic? I am trying to decide whether to grab the Charge now or hold off for the Bionic. I am a Verizon guy.

I got the Charge the first week it was out and have now had it for about a month or two. I am very satisfied with my purchase. As long as you turn off things like the GPS, bluetooth, and wireless at times, the battery life is more than adequate. The camera is amazingly crisp and clear. When I was down in Charlotte, the 4G was four times faster than my buddy's home cable connection. The layout of the phone is very easy to use. Overall, I am very happy with everything and would make the same buy over again.

Deadbolt - any inside knowledge on an actual release date for the Droid Bionic? I am trying to decide whether to grab the Charge now or hold off for the Bionic. I am a Verizon guy.

Still on track for a late summer release last I heard. They pushed it back because the phone ended up getting a complete re-design. It looks very similar to the Atrix that is on AT&T now, including a connecter for Moto's Lapdock accessory. They also re-tooled Blur (or whatever Moto is calling their GUI now) and there are rumors they may be putting one of the newer processors in it along with a bigger qHD screen (from 4.3 to 4.5 inches). There have been some leaked shots floating around, which can mean they're close to releasing it. I'd look for it in August/September (possibly about the same time the iPhone 5 is released).

Still on track for a late summer release last I heard. They pushed it back because the phone ended up getting a complete re-design. It looks very similar to the Atrix that is on AT&T now, including a connecter for Moto's Lapdock accessory. They also re-tooled Blur (or whatever Moto is calling their GUI now) and there are rumors they may be putting one of the newer processors in it along with a bigger qHD screen (from 4.3 to 4.5 inches). There have been some leaked shots floating around, which can mean they're close to releasing it. I'd look for it in August/September (possibly about the same time the iPhone 5 is released).

Thanks for the update. Was hoping it would be a little bit sooner!

My Droid X died and I had to purchase a new phone. so i went for the Iphone. It was either that or the 4G Thunderbolt, but I hear the battery life on the Thunderbolt is awful. I love my IPhone! Just wish I could have waited for the new one to come out!

My Evo 3D should be here shortly. It's on the truck for delivery by the end of the day! (I actually care nothing about the 3D part. I just wanted the other specs...)

Oh, and the HTC Hero sucks.

But more of you should consider Sprint, especially if you're worried about data. Sprints data plans still crush everyone else.

Man, just put a sense 3.0 ROM on mah Incredible, it's pretty damn sweet. You're going to like it a lot on the Evo 3D Raleigh.

I'm coming around on the revolution. Swype is pretty cool and I'm getting better at navigating everything else. Still crappy battery life but better than day 1.

swype was pretty cool, but difficult to use if you couldn't use both hands on the phone. Mostly,i felt it was hard to type with my thumb and had to use my index finger which felt weird.

That Nexus Prime sounds amazing.

swype was pretty cool, but difficult to use if you couldn't use both hands on the phone. Mostly,i felt it was hard to type with my thumb and had to use my index finger which felt weird.

That Nexus Prime sounds amazing.

I think the majority of people type this way on touch screen phones.

My Evo 3D should be here shortly. It's on the truck for delivery by the end of the day! (I actually care nothing about the 3D part. I just wanted the other specs...)

Oh, and the HTC Hero sucks.

But more of you should consider Sprint, especially if you're worried about data. Sprints data plans still crush everyone else.

how are you liking it so far? favorite features?

how are you liking it so far? favorite features?

Here's my take after having the EVO 3D for one day.

1. The 3D stuff works pretty well actually, but it's still just a gimmick for me. The preloaded Green Hornet movie looks fantastic, but the pictures you take with the dual cameras are just OK. They have a MUCH narrower viewing angle and of course, don't look as sharp. I have not tried exporting a picture out as a "red-blue" image that can be viewed with glasses and I probably won't ever attempt it.

2. The latest version of HTC Sense is fantastic. It still feels like the version I had on my Hero but everything is a little smarter and just works better. The scrolling screen feature is a little too easy to activate (think Price is Right Showcase wheel type of spin) but I usually just hit the home button screen twice to bring up all my screens and choose the one I want.

3. All screen input (typing, gestures, scrolling, etc.) work MUCH better for me on this phone. It has no lag at all.

4. THERE IS FINALLY A CURSOR MARKER WHEN YOU GO TO EDIT TEXT!!! I know this seems like a little thing, but you can now drag the cursor to the point in the text you want to edit rather than stabbing at the screen repeatedly and hoping the cursor goes to the right place.

5. It's been off the charger now for 8 hours with moderate use and I have a little less than half my battery left. Not unacceptable for a smart phone. We'll see how that holds up during the next few months.

6. I had no trouble getting my Exchange settings back up and running in the standard Android App for my Work email, but my yahoo mail will no longer sync with the EVO 3D. I read some about it last night, and it seems to be a pretty common problem with Android phones. I can send from my yahoo accounts via the phone but I can never receive anything new in my inbox. I just downloaded the Yahoo app to take care of it, but it means I now have two email clients on my phone to manage three accounts. I may try out K9 email and just put them all together. Haven't decided yet...

7. 4G is fast, when you can connect... It's very hit or miss as to when you will get and hold a signal. I have also noticed that my phone signal is down a bar or two in all places with the EVO 3D.

8. With that said, I have had no trouble completing calls. They all sound good and none have dropped yet. The speakerphone is on par with the Hero. Nothing special, but it's not awful. I'll have to wait and see if the ring lag problem I had with the Hero goes away. It used to send people straight to voicemail all the time without ever ringing at all on my end.

9. I love the size and weight of the EVO 3D. It is big, but I prefer the larger screen. it's much easier to talk on than my Hero, and the screen automatically locks itself when you hold the phone to your ear so your face doesn't accidentally end the call, which is nice...

10. The dual cameras on the back look just like Johnny 5's face to me.

That's all for now. I'll let you know if I run into any other issues. If you got any specific questions, let me know and I will get back to you!

Back