• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

RE Verizon: Are you grandfathered in to the old plan, or is errybody gettin screwed up in here?

My fiancee wanted to upgrade her regular phone to a smartphone and we went it last week so she would be grandfathered in. I mentioned to the sales clerk that we wanted to wait for the Iphone 5 but had to go ahead so we could lock in the data plan rate, she just smiled and said, "good idea, no comment". It's happening.

Sprint will hold out as long as they can on unlimited. They need something to maintain a competitive advantage on Big Blue and Big Red.

Yeah, they are marketing the heck out of it now, and rightfully so, but it will look bad if they turn around in a couple of years and say, "We're capping it too."

Sprint's data plans are the reason I have been with them since 2003.

My fiancee wanted to upgrade her regular phone to a smartphone and we went it last week so she would be grandfathered in. I mentioned to the sales clerk that we wanted to wait for the Iphone 5 but had to go ahead so we could lock in the data plan rate, she just smiled and said, "good idea, no comment". It's happening.

Yep just did that today. Our sales rep said the new data rates were definitely coming down the pipe soon.

Grabbed an Incredible 2. 2 years of unlimited data.

I'll put off being pissed til 2013.

http://lifehacker.com/5816559/get-o...tract-without-paying-an-early-termination-fee

If you're stuck in your Verizon contract and want out, you're in luck. The Consumerist notes that Verizon just updated its terms to increase a regulatory fee, which is great news for unhappy customers. You have to agree with this change in order to continue using their service and that happens automatically if you do nothing. If you want out, you have 60 days from July 1st to let them know you do not accept these new terms (found here). Canceling is pretty easy. Just give Verizon a call, let them know you do not agree with this recent change and want to cancel your service. Do not tell them why or they will try to sell you on additional services. If they try to anyway, just stop them before they get into it and say no.

Droid Life was informed that these tiered pricing will not affect current Verizon customers or those who have locked- in data plans, including unlimited ones, prior to July 7. The site managed to get a screenshot of a purported Verizon document which states: "Existing customers can keep their current pricing when renewing or upgrading." Further, the sources mentioned that existing customers can even upgrade to a new device after July 7 and still keep their unlimited data plan. This is also supported by a Q and A sample for Verizon employees being trained for the new data plans.

Looks promising at you being able to keep your unlimited data into the future. We'll see, though.

Don't most people not ever go over the supposed 2 MB cap anyway? I was reading an article recommending waiting for the iphone 5 for this reason.

Don't most people not ever go over the supposed 2 MB cap anyway? I was reading an article recommending waiting for the iphone 5 for this reason.

Depends. In short, yes, it is true that most people don't exceed that cap. I think for the tech crowd, though, this is a philosophical argument about where this takes us. I don't think Verizon adding a cap is because they're worried about network congestion (LTE should be more than capable of handling a loaded network)...it's because they view that 2% of people who do exceed the cap are a revenue source. It opens a whole slew of potentially terrible scenarios for carriers having complete control over how you use the network. That may be their right, but it's ultimately bad for the consumer (part of why Sprint is so against the AT&T - T-Mobile merger).

Depends. In short, yes, it is true that most people don't exceed that cap. I think for the tech crowd, though, this is a philosophical argument about where this takes us. I don't think Verizon adding a cap is because they're worried about network congestion (LTE should be more than capable of handling a loaded network)...it's because they view that 2% of people who do exceed the cap are a revenue source. It opens a whole slew of potentially terrible scenarios for carriers having complete control over how you use the network. That may be their right, but it's ultimately bad for the consumer (part of why Sprint is so against the AT&T - T-Mobile merger).

Spot on. However, back in December there were some tests run using LTE that showed you could actually exceed your 2GB cap in 32 minutes using LTE. :eek:

there is also the fact that as more and more stuff moves to the cloud and streaming, datausage will only increase
You watch a couple of movies on netflix
And you are rapidly approaching your cap. It sucks how far behind the us is compared to the rest of the developed world in terms of internet and cell providers.
Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

there is also the fact that as more and more stuff moves to the cloud and streaming, datausage will only increase
You watch a couple of movies on netflix
And you are rapidly approaching your cap. It sucks how far behind the us is compared to the rest of the developed world in terms of internet and cell providers.
Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

I guess I'm in the 98% because I never stream movies. The most I do is surf, and listen to sirius/xm and pandora.

Sent from my Droid Thundercat Ho! using Doubletapswipe on Purple Lollipop Creamsicle.

I'm looking to upgrade 2 lines through Amazon in order to beat Verizon's tier implementation. Right now we are looking at the Thunderbolt, the X2, and the iPhone 4, the last of which is apparently not available on Amazon(?). I've seen a good bit of love for all of these phones on this thread and in other places, so I just have a few specific questions.

-Do you think that 4G is the best choice right now, even for people who don't necessarily need that kind of speed? I'm wondering whether Verizon will eventually start messing around with the 3G speeds just to entice people to switch, and I'm not sure whether it's worth buying new hardware (X2, iPhone) that doesn't take advantage of all of the newest tech.

-Is the single core/dual core difference really a big deal? I can only determine so much in the Verizon store.

-If we are big users of Google (gmail, calendar, etc.), would those integrate easily with iOS, or would the iPhone be a real drag in that regard?

Anything else? Thanks in advance.

Back