• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

I'm looking to upgrade 2 lines through Amazon in order to beat Verizon's tier implementation. Right now we are looking at the Thunderbolt, the X2, and the iPhone 4, the last of which is apparently not available on Amazon(?). I've seen a good bit of love for all of these phones on this thread and in other places, so I just have a few specific questions.

-Do you think that 4G is the best choice right now, even for people who don't necessarily need that kind of speed? I'm wondering whether Verizon will eventually start messing around with the 3G speeds just to entice people to switch, and I'm not sure whether it's worth buying new hardware (X2, iPhone) that doesn't take advantage of all of the newest tech.

-Is the single core/dual core difference really a big deal? I can only determine so much in the Verizon store.

-If we are big users of Google (gmail, calendar, etc.), would those integrate easily with iOS, or would the iPhone be a real drag in that regard?

Anything else? Thanks in advance.

If you're a heavy Google user, go Android. Many of their services will sync with iOS, but with Android it'll be system level integration.

Specs aren't a big deal to most users. You likely won't even notice a huge difference. Don't let specs be a deciding factor for you...make sure you like the OS and its interface first.

Whatever you do, tomorrow is your last chance for unlimited data!

Last edited:
Also, if anyone doesn't care about unlimited data and wants an iPhone, Verizon is going to drop the price to $149 soon, leading up to the iPhone 5 release.

having tried 4G for a week, it's fast, but it's also glitchy. my phone went from 4G to no G very quickly and would never find a 3G signal in between Greenville SC and Atlanta. Once I turned off 4G it was great.

I found in the week that I had the phone that I really didn't notice the 4G speed unless I was on the internet, and then it was so inconsistent that i didn't really enjoy it. I ended up turning it back in and getting an iphone 4.

having tried 4G for a week, it's fast, but it's also glitchy. my phone went from 4G to no G very quickly and would never find a 3G signal in between Greenville SC and Atlanta. Once I turned off 4G it was great.

I found in the week that I had the phone that I really didn't notice the 4G speed unless I was on the internet, and then it was so inconsistent that i didn't really enjoy it. I ended up turning it back in and getting an iphone 4.

I've been curious about this sort of thing. One of the big differences with Android and the phone manufacturers is they're willing to let customers basically beta test the new LTE technology. Apple will be a year behind on LTE, but by then most of the kinks will have been worked out.

I've lost so many iphones drunk in cabs over the last year that I am under contract with AT&T until 2015 or something like that. I really want Verizon.

Thankfully I smartened up and went to Best Buy and bought a bunch of $9 go phones so now when I got out I throw the SIM card in there and mitigate costs (only $20 for a new SIM card!).

Update: Woke up Monday with my non-flip go phone in three pieces in my urine drenched pocket. Thank God for go phones.

Maybe you just don't need phones when you're out drinking.

Maybe you also don't need pants.

A friend of mine gets drunk and tries to check his pants. He also takes off his pants, puts his belt back on and tells the upset bartenders he is wearing his invisible pants.

I've been curious about this sort of thing. One of the big differences with Android and the phone manufacturers is they're willing to let customers basically beta test the new LTE technology. Apple will be a year behind on LTE, but by then most of the kinks will have been worked out.

And then they will call it AppLeTEni and charge three times more than any other provider, while simultaneously claiming it only works as it should on the iPhone.

I keed... I keed...

But not really...

And then they will call it AppLeTEni and charge three times more than any other provider, while simultaneously claiming it only works as it should on the iPhone.

I keed... I keed...

But not really...

And they'll sell three times as many as any other manufacturer.

Hater. :plos:

A friend of mine gets drunk and tries to check his pants. He also takes off his pants, puts his belt back on and tells the upset bartenders he is wearing his invisible pants.

I'm un-married for less than two weeks. I need to hang out with you pronto while there is still time.

I'm un-married for less than two weeks. I need to hang out with you pronto while there is still time.

If you want to hang out with a bunch of drunk, pantsless guys, then marriage might not be for you.

For those asking, sounding like August 4th might be the launch date for the Bionic. Best Buy is now previewing the device.

droid-bionic-best-buy.jpg

Back