• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

I have the iPhone X and face ID works MUCH better for me than touch ID ever did. If my thumb was damp at all, Touch ID would never work. As far as needing to have your eyes open, you can change that setting in the phone. You have to anyway for it to work while you're wearing sunglasses. It makes it "slightly" less secure, but I was happy to make that change.

I have the iPhone X and face ID works MUCH better for me than touch ID ever did. If my thumb was damp at all, Touch ID would never work. As far as needing to have your eyes open, you can change that setting in the phone. You have to anyway for it to work while you're wearing sunglasses. It makes it "slightly" less secure, but I was happy to make that change.

hmm, mine works fine with sunglasses but won't if I have an eye closed. will need to look into this.

Another fan of iPhone's face unlock here. Neither is perfect, but I much prefer the shortcomings of the face unlock than the fingerprint reader. Really like how you can glance at the phone and quiet the ring, read texts, etc. Sometimes wish it would sideways-unlock, but I haven't really had low-light issues. Definitely don't have to input my passcode nearly as often as I used to.

I have the iPhone X.

Meh, Face ID to me isn’t really better or worse than fingerprint. Just have to get used to it.

The screen is nice, the phone feels heavier than my old 6. Really other than the nicer/bigger screen it’s not better (for my uses) than the 6.

I mainly use my phone for texting, occasion calls, Waze, and a little internet browsing.

it doesn't work for me when laying in bed and just holding it up between my chest and face. you have to hold it with your arms stretched out. also you need to have both eyes open -- sometimes in the middle of the night I will try to unlock it but can't due to squinting.

If you read this without knowing he's talking about a phone, it's pretty damn hilarious.

OK, imagine (if needed) that you are a college student. Your father is willing to upgrade your old phone to an iPhone 8 (costs 600 bucks).

Or you can further upgrade with your own cash (you don't have much).

iPhone X: + $300.
iPhone 8 plus: + 100
iPhone XR: + 150
iPhone XS: + 400
iPhone 7 plus: - 200 (student gets the cash)

all 64 gb

Just curious for any that have had some of these what you might do/think.

...you currently have a 6s with a cracked screen and a battery that lasts about 30 minutes.

Unless you really want the better camera of the 8 plus and don't mind the bigger size, stay with the 8.

OK, imagine (if needed) that you are a college student. Your father is willing to upgrade your old phone to an iPhone 8 (costs 600 bucks).

all 64 gb

The iPhone X is by far the best/fastest phone I've ever had but if I was in college I would probably get the 7+ and pocket the cash. If not then definitely the XR for an extra $150.

all 64 gb

At our company we just had people ordering the XS Max 512 GB for like $1,449 or some craziness. The costs of phones have gone so far out of control that we're likely going to implement a similar company policy. We'll pay for the XR 128GB as the baseline, but if you want to pay $300 more for a better camera, or in this case $600 more for the XS Max you front the difference.

Therefore I'd pick the XR.

You'd pick the XR at your company with its anticipated policy?

Or as the hypothetical student (sophomore) in my query?

That’s what I came up with for the company. The .4 inch larger screen, or different display and camera didn’t seem worth it to me to pay for.

10364324b4f2cdb169bc1a3a55e355f4.jpg

Read something on apple the other day that specifically mentioned the XR was not selling well, so that might have meant the XS and XS Max were selling better in this lineup, but I mean for years the costs would go up $50 here or there, $749, $799, $849, $949, but that was fairly gradual. As soon as I saw a bill for $1,449 come across my desk it stood out and I had to bring it up during the tech meeting and we implemented the policy. For us, at least, apple would have been better off keeping the price below $1,000 as we likely would still be paying $949 opposed to now paying $799.

Seems they're offering new phones too quickly and the cost for the latest/greatest has far outstripped inflation, pretty sure.

Only OK thing about that is today you can buy what recently was the latest/greatest at a discount.

Unless you just have plenty of extra money, seems pretty dumb to try and constantly upgrade to the latest at top dollar.

In my student query, I think I'd just stick with the offered 8 b/c I don't like larger phones and don't care about a dual lens camera.

But if I preferred a larger screen and dual lens camera, I'd just go with the 7 plus and pocket the cash. Should last a couple of years.

If I were rather going to add any of my own cash, I'd probably just do the XR.

Seems they're offering new phones too quickly and the cost for the latest/greatest has far outstripped inflation, pretty sure.

Only OK thing about that is today you can buy what recently was the latest/greatest at a discount.

Unless you just have plenty of extra money, seems pretty dumb to try and constantly upgrade to the latest at top dollar.

In my student query, I think I'd just stick with the offered 8 b/c I don't like larger phones and don't care about a dual lens camera.

But if I preferred a larger screen and dual lens camera, I'd just go with the 7 plus and pocket the cash. Should last a couple of years.

If I were rather going to add any of my own cash, I'd probably just do the XR.
What you have to consider is HOW Americans are paying for their phones. The vast majority are financing through carriers. From experience I can tell you that salesman hide the total cost of the phones, and completely focus on the monthly bill. For people who are already financing a $800 phone it's much easier to sell a $10/month upcharge than it is to sell a $1000 phone. Virtually no one attempts to buy a phone straight out, and the carriers basically refuse to even sell the phone that way.

Yep, you have to be careful about those “deals”.

We buy our phones up front (full price) from Cricket. It’s an AT&T subsidiary we’ve used for several years. Definitely save money on the monthly charges, get good signal, etc.

Back