• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

Yep, you have to be careful about those “deals”.

We buy our phones up front (full price) from Cricket. It’s an AT&T subsidiary we’ve used for several years. Definitely save money on the monthly charges, get good signal, etc.
The major carriers generally dont inflate the price of the flagship phones, and the financing is interest free - where the customer is actually manipulated is in basically leasing a new 800-1200$ phone year after and never owning the device. People are absolutely thrilled to "upgrade" every year and pay 30-40 bucks a month for a new phone.

The truth is that phone technology doesn't advance fast enough for a year to year lease to be a worthwhile investment. Imagine if you paid 30-40 bucks a month for your television or laptop and got a new one every year. Its very doubtful that your 2019 laptop or television would be a large improvement over your 2018 or even 2016 model, especially considering that much of tech user experience comes from the operating system, which is compatible over multiple years models.

Last edited:
Yep.

Seems generally unwise to me to keep purchasing the latest/greatest, even if on an interest-free installment plan.

Thus we tend to buy a 1-2 year-old phone every several years. Typically at a discount from its peak/initial price.

Yep.

Seems generally unwise to me to keep purchasing the latest/greatest, even if on an interest-free installment plan.

Thus we tend to buy a 1-2 year-old phone every several years. Typically at a discount from its peak/initial price.
Yeah, for a lot of customers I generally recommended the phone I believed was the best value, even if they had the credit to get a flagship. Problem is, the carriers mark up the lower tier phones 2-300%. Cricket and Boost do the same. A lower tier Samsung, or an Alcatel phone for sale online might be $90, we would finance it for $250. I would often recommend the customers who wanted those lower tier phones to buy them unlocked online or at Walmart. It hurt my sales, but I didnt like fucking people over. Phone financing is a major racket. Problem is that most people just can't afford to drop $400 bucks on a refurb 2 year old Galaxy phone, especially when they can walk in AT&T and lease a new iphone for $100. Cheap financing is just too good to pass up.

Last edited:

We buy our phones up front (full price) from Cricket. It’s an AT&T subsidiary we’ve used for several years. Definitely save money on the monthly charges, get good signal, etc.

Yeah, for a lot of customers I generally recommended the phone I believed was the best value, even if they had the credit to get a flagship. Problem is, the carriers mark up the lower tier phones 2-300%. Cricket and Boost do the same. A lower tier Samsung, or an Alcatel phone for sale online might be $90, we would finance it for $250. I would often recommend the customers who wanted those lower tier phones to buy them unlocked online or at Walmart. It hurt my sales, but I didnt like fucking people over. Phone financing is a major racket. Problem is that most people just can't afford to drop $400 bucks on a refurb 2 year old Galaxy phone, especially when they can walk in AT&T and lease a new iphone for $100. Cheap financing is just too good to pass up.

Fucking over the poor is America’s true pastime.

I just upgraded from my 5(!) year old phone to an S8+ for $368 at Best Buy which seems like the deal of the century to me.

I just upgraded from my 5(!) year old phone to an S8+ for $368 at Best Buy which seems like the deal of the century to me.
That's a great deal. The Galaxy S8 & S8+ are the best phones available from Samsung IMO, at least until the S10 drops in March. The S9 was terribly redundant and overpriced.

Lol

I recall that snl sketch but not the Cricket Wireless dig at the end.

The major carriers just seemed too pricey to me when I was adding two kids to the plan. For a while we tried Virgin Mobile. They were priced fine but the signal coverage was poor, as was their service. We’ve been happy with Cricket.

As far as financing the cost of a phone, I’d never do that.

Just get the free or really cheap phone.

I have been toting an Iphone 6 for about 4 years now, but its starting to wear down.

Is an X really all that or is a 7 or 8 the call?

I have been toting an Iphone 6 for about 4 years now, but its starting to wear down.

Is an X really all that or is a 7 or 8 the call?

My 7 is going strong and I don't really feel the need to upgrade at the moment. I haven't kept up with what the new ones offer and kind of prefer the thumbprint ID over face anyway.

Why are people so excited about Dark Mode coming to the iPhone? It’s in almost every headline about the new iOS

Thinking about a Samsung Galaxy S10e. $549, (Best Buy) with payments spread over 24 months. Any comments from those who keep up with such things?

Are there better deals out there?

My S7 has been having battery issues. It no longer makes a full day on a charge. I find myself needing to charge at least twice and sometimes more times per day. Otherwise the S7 is doing well.

Anybody had a battery transplant done on an S7?

S7 here still also. Really the best phone available at its time and still competitive.

Try doing device maintenance in settings periodically.

It may help with battery issues.

S7 here still also. Really the best phone available at its time and still competitive.

Try doing device maintenance in settings periodically.

It may help with battery issues.

I do that regularly and get to 100%. Still down to about 8 hours on a battery charge.

Samsung announcing the Galaxy 20 family phones. Fast 5G. Bigger. Better. Much more expensive. Trying again to do the folding phone thing.

Samsung announcing the Galaxy 20 family phones. Fast 5G. Bigger. Better. Much more expensive. Trying again to do the folding phone thing.

$1000 for "base" S20 is absolutely ridiculous.

Especially after my S9 very rapidly turning into a POS (that I'm still using), I'll never buy another Samsung. The battery sucks, the performance sucks, the Android skin sucks. And now that's it upgraded to Android 10, I can't find a different launcher that works and includes the swipe left to get my Google Feed. At least there's a way to still easily get my Google Feed, but everything else still sucks balls. The problem is I can't find another phone I want that isn't a Samsung because for some stupid reason not everyone has Always On Display. I got a OnePlus 7 Pro for a day but sent it back solely because it didn't have AOD. And I won't get a Pixel 4 because the battery life sucks and I won't get a 3a because I want at least some guarantee of water testing. So I guess beggars CAN be choosers!

My iPhone 7 is dying rapidly. The biggest issue is that it can't hold onto a cord, so I have to strategically lean it up against something to charge it... Works great in airports and meetings with clients.

"Hold that thought... I just need to carefully arrange my phone to lean on this bag and plug this phone in gently at an angle... Takes a lot of concentration. OK... Almost there... Got it! Now, what did you want to talk about today? OK, I'll see myself out..."

Not to mention the battery life is awful at this point... but replacing the battery would do nothing to fix my charging problems.

I guess after 4+ years, I was due... Just a pain in the ass to pay $750+ for a new phone.

The specs that really surprised me on the top S20 ultra are the 108 and 40 megapixel cameras.

My iPhone 7 is dying rapidly. The biggest issue is that it can't hold onto a cord, so I have to strategically lean it up against something to charge it... Works great in airports and meetings with clients.

"Hold that thought... I just need to carefully arrange my phone to lean on this bag and plug this phone in gently at an angle... Takes a lot of concentration. OK... Almost there... Got it! Now, what did you want to talk about today? OK, I'll see myself out..."

Not to mention the battery life is awful at this point... but replacing the battery would do nothing to fix my charging problems.

I guess after 4+ years, I was due... Just a pain in the ass to pay $750+ for a new phone.

try sticking something in the charging port like a thumbtack or paper clip and gently pull to see if you have a bunch of lint in there. you might be surprised at how much is in there, and it affects charging. had the same problem and it fixed it right up.

Back