• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

siff

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
My BB Tour is driving me nuts. I get the hourglass thing a dozen times a day, where it freezes and won't let me do anything. I've deleted everything I possibly can, and can't keep the recommended amount of free space that Verizon says will make it run better (still think that's BS). It's about two years old and I'm eligible for a new phone anyway. I really wanted to get the HTC ThunderBolt, but some here have scared me off due to poor battery life.

I just went on Verizon Wireless' site and read about Samsung's Droid Charge. Got pretty good reviews and a few people there are HTC TB converts. Anyone have experience with it?

I just can't get myself to go with the iPhone for some reason. I think it's because I actually use my phone for talking. :D

Honestly, DF09 has the TB and I haven't seen him have many battery issues (maybe he can chime in here). Not sure if it would be worse in the Charlotte area with 4g vs W-S though.

I've heard good things about the Charge though. If I was getting a new phone now I'd probably try and swing that.

There is absolutely no reason to still have a blackberry. None. It's a dying company/platform

There is absolutely no reason to still have a blackberry. None. It's a dying company/platform

Yeah, I've been ready to get rid of mine for a while. Just waiting for the right phone...and am figuring out that, if I keep doing that, I'll never find one that's perfect. This thing needs to go, though.

When it is handed to you by your employer, you have a blackberry.

That said, I am looking for something new - have had Sprint forever and unlike most people, I am genuinely pleased with them. Thinking about something with 4G, which I guess would be the Evo, Evo Shift, Samsung Epic, or Google Nexus S.

Both the Thunderbolt and Charge are great phones. Just texted my friend who is the store manager for a Verizon store, he recommends the Charge but has said that the TB's battery issues are not as bad as some people have said (still, all smart phones will not last forever since they are constantly connected/streaming).

Also, one consideration is that TB is an HTC phones so it uses the HTC skin and Charge is a Samsung skin. So there will be some differences between how the phones operate, but most of them will be small probably.

Turn off bluetooth, wifi, gps on all the phones when they are not in use or it will continue to search for a connection and fly through the battery.

When it is handed to you by your employer, you have a blackberry.

That said, I am looking for something new - have had Sprint forever and unlike most people, I am genuinely pleased with them. Thinking about something with 4G, which I guess would be the Evo, Evo Shift, Samsung Epic, or Google Nexus S.

I am with you. I want to know more about the Nexus that just came out. Haven't heard good things about the Epic. The EVO 3D is supposed to be released soon, think that might be my (your) best bet.

I have a Droid2, usually have GPS and wifi on, but bluetooth off. I plug it in at night and have only been in danger of running out of juice once. I surf on it all the time.

I am with you. I want to know more about the Nexus that just came out. Haven't heard good things about the Epic. The EVO 3D is supposed to be released soon, think that might be my (your) best bet.

3D as in 3 dimension? I'm trying to think what the hell I would need a 3D cell phone for.

Wait for the Galaxy S II. It will be the the top android phone when it drops.

3D as in 3 dimension? I'm trying to think what the hell I would need a 3D cell phone for.

Yeah, apparently it has a 3d camera mode for capturing pics/film in 3d. Not sure how it works, or what it looks like, but apparently you can also do the movies thing (without glasses as well). I'm sure it just looks like a normal screen when you're on teh basic homescreens/dialers/apps.

If I had Sprint I'd be giving a hard look at the Nexus S. It's a phone for Android purists since it doesn't have any overlays and should get all the updates the fastest (it's already running Gingerbread). The original Nexus was and still is one of the best Android phones out there.

Not sure the specs on the original Evo, but these are the 3D:

•Two 5.0 megapixel cameras, which can be used to capture both high-quality conventional and stunning 3D images and videos
•1.3 megapixel front-facing camera
•1.2 GHz dual-core processor
•Brilliant 4.3-inch QHD 3D screen
•Preloaded with Android™ 2.3 (“Gingerbread”) •HTC Sense,™ the award-winning user experience that takes social networking, navigation and customization to new levels•1730 mAh lithium-ion battery
•3G/4G speed and Wi-Fi—capable
•Mobile hotspot capability for up to eight Wi-Fi—enabled devices
•GPS Navigation
•Stereo Bluetooth® wireless technology•microSD™ Card slot, 32-GB-capable •4 GB internal memory and 1 GB RAM
•Media player with 3.5 mm headset jack and micro USB
•Proximity, G-Sensor and light sensors
•Digital compass
•Built-in FM radio
•Live video sharing with Qik
•Download, view, edit and share HD-quality content from your phone
•HDMI-out via USB and DLNA
•World-class HTML browsing experience with the bandwidth and quality that rivals that of netbooks
•HD video capture at 720p and playback up to 1080p
•Personal and business email, IM and text message
•Social-networking integration with Facebook, ® Twitter,™ Flickr® and more•Sprint apps including Sprint TV,® Sprint Football Live and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile℠•Visual Voicemail
•Google™ Mobile™ services including YouTube™, Gmail,™Google Talk,™ Google Voice,™ Google Maps™ and more•Android Market,™ with access to more than 150,000 apps

That looks sick. Pretty big battery too, which is good.

My BB Tour is driving me nuts. I get the hourglass thing a dozen times a day, where it freezes and won't let me do anything. I've deleted everything I possibly can, and can't keep the recommended amount of free space that Verizon says will make it run better (still think that's BS). It's about two years old and I'm eligible for a new phone anyway. I really wanted to get the HTC ThunderBolt, but some here have scared me off due to poor battery life.

I just went on Verizon Wireless' site and read about Samsung's Droid Charge. Got pretty good reviews and a few people there are HTC TB converts. Anyone have experience with it?

I just can't get myself to go with the iPhone for some reason. I think it's because I actually use my phone for talking. :D

You may need to download the latest update from the Blackberry site, which requires plugging your phone into the computer. That's what the folks at Verizon told me to do with my Storm. It helped for a while, but I went ahead and got an iPhone earlier this month and am completely happy.

That Engadget article is spot on, and you can generally trust what they say.

Verizon: Charge
Sprint: Nexus
AT&T: iPhone

Back