• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

try sticking something in the charging port like a thumbtack or paper clip and gently pull to see if you have a bunch of lint in there. you might be surprised at how much is in there, and it affects charging. had the same problem and it fixed it right up.

Don't use something metal. Use plastic or wood. Like a toothpick. Using metal can short the battery to zero life.

I've done it.

Also used that compressed air in there.

Nada.

It's almost like it is mishapen in there.

tenor.gif

Happy to report that you guys were right.

I went back and gave it one more try before buying a new phone.

Got in there real deep with a pointy metal pushpin (because I was just going to buy a new phone anyway) and gave that orifice hell. Can't say that I got a satisfying amount of stuff out of there, but I was real thorough. Followed up by hammering it with a few prolonged shots of compressed air and... voila, it charges again.

Battery life still sucks, but I don't care about that.

Thanks for giving me the confidence to really get in there and give it a solid rogering.

It's too bad the tags are gone.

$1000 for "base" S20 is absolutely ridiculous.

Especially after my S9 very rapidly turning into a POS (that I'm still using), I'll never buy another Samsung. The battery sucks, the performance sucks, the Android skin sucks. And now that's it upgraded to Android 10, I can't find a different launcher that works and includes the swipe left to get my Google Feed. At least there's a way to still easily get my Google Feed, but everything else still sucks balls. The problem is I can't find another phone I want that isn't a Samsung because for some stupid reason not everyone has Always On Display. I got a OnePlus 7 Pro for a day but sent it back solely because it didn't have AOD. And I won't get a Pixel 4 because the battery life sucks and I won't get a 3a because I want at least some guarantee of water testing. So I guess beggars CAN be choosers!

I recently got a Note 10+ and love it. Battery life is ridiculous and it charges to full in about a half hour. I use it fairly often and am still around 70-75 % at the end of the day. If you can get over the Samsung hate, I recommend it.

My Samsung S7 battery life is down to nothing. My options appear to be:

Find a repair shop to open it and do a battery replacement
Or
Get a new phone.

Best Buy has an S10 with 128 GB for $20/mo x 24 months. However, reviews say no SD card slot even though manufacturers description says it has one.

Verizon is giving free A51. Yes, $0 cost. Anybody looked at this phone? It is 128 GB, but does have an SD card slot that can be up to 512 GB.

My Samsung S7 battery life is down to nothing. My options appear to be:

Find a repair shop to open it and do a battery replacement
Or
Get a new phone.

Best Buy has an S10 with 128 GB for $20/mo x 24 months. However, reviews say no SD card slot even though manufacturers description says it has one.

Verizon is giving free A51. Yes, $0 cost. Anybody looked at this phone? It is 128 GB, but does have an SD card slot that can be up to 512 GB.

All versions of the American Galaxy S10 have expandable storage, the SD card slot is on the sim card tray

Somehow, over the life of this thread, I've gone from always having the newest Android tech to being perfectly happy with my iPhone 7 because it still works fine.

Is this what getting old feels like?

Somehow, over the life of this thread, I've gone from always having the newest Android tech to being perfectly happy with my iPhone 7 because it still works fine.

I would be just fine sticking with my Sammy S7, but the battery life just isn't there anymore. And one of the very, very annoying things phone makers have done is to make the battery non-replaceable. Used to be that it was possible to swap out batteries in phone easily. Useful when out where it wasn't easy to charge the battery and when it wore down.

Now, a bad battery means getting a new phone, for $100's, not a new battery for $10's. Good tradeoff for the manufacturers, bad tradeoff for the using community.

Here's a BOOOO to Verizon.

Advertised Samsung A51 at "$0.00 per month" Log in to my account, put it in my cart and price jumps to $16.66/month. Contact Verizon and find out that the $0.00 price is only for new customer/new line. It doesn't say that in the advertising.

My takeaway from reading the first page of the thread is that smartphones really sucked in 2011. Pretty amazing the pace of that technology in the last decade.

My favorite thing about this thread is that, if you search properly, I'm sure you can find some posts where I was seriously excited about new windows phones.

Sigh. I loved that OS. The problem is no one else did.

My experience on the thread was to get psyched for the new Samsung Charge and then hate it so much I could have gotten arrested when the guy at Verizon said he couldn’t switch me back to the Iphone platform. He ultimately agreed that I would get the latest IPhone, instead. I won’t ever switch again. But I still enjoy the thread.

Here's a BOOOO to Verizon.

Advertised Samsung A51 at "$0.00 per month" Log in to my account, put it in my cart and price jumps to $16.66/month. Contact Verizon and find out that the $0.00 price is only for new customer/new line. It doesn't say that in the advertising.

Ok, so here is a lesson for everyone: 99.9% of the deals you see in cellphone advertisements are only for *New customers who transfer a phone number from another carrier *AND* trade in a good condition cell phone* those deals are never available for current customers.

Being completely honest, once you are with a company and paying monthly for your 900 phone, they've captured you as a customer and they don't give a shit about you anymore. All of their deals and advertisements are aimed at getting new subscribers, not taking care of current subscribers. The deal that you sign up for when you join the company will most likely be the best deal you are ever offered, and every time you buy a new phone the company will try and talk you into a new (worse) plan by adding a new line onto your account with a tablet or some other overpriced shit you dont need. Don't do it. Keep your cheap ass grandfathered plan.

Also, the $15 monthly insurance on your phone is bullshit because it doesn't cover cracked screens or water damage, which is like 95% of the risk.

Last edited:
Didn't want to start a new thread, so found this one.

Can anyone help me with this...I recently updated my phone from a Galaxy S6 to a Galaxy S20 FE. My old phone's keyboard would underline misspelled words in red, and I could go back after typing out the text and press the misspells and get suggestions. On my new phone I can't find a keyboard that can do this. All keyboards either auto-correct as I type, keep the misspelled words, or underline them only until I type the next word. There's also the predictive text or suggested words, but they aren't always what I intend. And I don't want to create a custom dictionary by adding words to it each time I find a common incorrectly suggested word.

I want the keyboard to JUST underline or highlight the wrong word and then let ME choose the replacement. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this??

Every online answer tells me to go and turn off certain menu settings that AREN'T on my phone. They all say to turn Spell Check on or there's another option that I can't think of right now, but it's a synonym of auto-correct that is supposed to just let you know when a word is misspelled. Maybe it's just the S20 FE, because I think all of the things I see are for the S20 basic version.

Anyway, any help is much appreciated.

My BB Tour is driving me nuts. I get the hourglass thing a dozen times a day, where it freezes and won't let me do anything. I've deleted everything I possibly can, and can't keep the recommended amount of free space that Verizon says will make it run better (still think that's BS). It's about two years old and I'm eligible for a new phone anyway. I really wanted to get the HTC ThunderBolt, but some here have scared me off due to poor battery life.

I just went on Verizon Wireless' site and read about Samsung's Droid Charge. Got pretty good reviews and a few people there are HTC TB converts. Anyone have experience with it?

I just can't get myself to go with the iPhone for some reason. I think it's because I actually use my phone for talking. :D

Just want to quote where this started. The BB Tour! 5/25/2011!

Back