• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning on Gottlieb show today

Odom had 10 scholarships in 2 years with the 1998 and 1999 classes (O'Kelley class and Songaila class). It's a product of transfers which is a persistent problem for us.

does anybody who is really good ever transfer other than VCU dude?

Loren Woods was good but a headcase. Tony Woods was solid. Can't think of anyone else significant off the top of my head.

Desrosiers got minutes on Providence's NCAAT team this year. He wasn't good when he was with us, but would have been a decent 4-year player if not Bzdazled. Gurley was pretty good for UMass after he left.

Did we get Antonio Jackson as a transfer from UAB, or did he transfer to UAB from Wake?

Transferred to UAB.

That's what I thought, I seem to remember him being a good contributor for them at at some point.

Pretty softball interview. But I did agree with Glenn's assesment...Wake doesn't need to get 10 AAs each year...Their formula is getting solid 4 years players and supplement with the great player. He thought Manning would be good at this, well he implied it. Glenn never says anything where he could be proven wrong. I used to like him and now hes just an ass...

I guess the board is still getting over the fatigue from the coaching search. Looks like Coach Manning did national radio and we've barely discussed it.

Just listened to the Gottlieb and Rome interviews... still feel pretty mixed about Manning.

He's not really saying a whole lot in any of these interviews... but I can't really fault that because he's only been the coach for a week or so, and what is he going to say in April, anyway? He's not overly enthusiastic... and he says the basic stuff that [Redacted] said (and pretty much any other coach would say).

Two things that kind of irk me:
1- He keeps saying he hopes the 4 hall of fame coaches in the ACC retire soon. Yeah, I get it... trying to get a laugh. But it is kind of LOWF... and I thought we all wanted a coach that wanted to go head to head with those guys and beat them. I realize he's just trying to be cordial and complimentary, but not my favorite comment.
2- He seems to really be lowballing expectations for the next 1-2 years. He has a right to do that... these aren't his players. He doesn't know them all that well yet. But these are the guys he's going to have for the next 2 years... would prefer that he try to motivate them instead of making it seem (at least in these interviews) like we aren't going to be all that good until he is able to recruit. Obviously, I think most of us would agree that we don't have the talent to win the ACC in 2014-15... but I'd like to think we aspire to improve off of last year. 20 wins would be nice. .500 in the ACC would be nice.

I'm glad Manning is our coach (especially compared to [Redacted]), but the honeymoon isn't going to last 2 years (unless he pulls in some ridiculous recruits for 2016-17 and buys a little more time).

He's got to significantly outperform last year in order for me to believe he is the guy. He's got a similar squad and is replacing a horrible coach. I'm guessing UF replaces Kansas on a similar schedule.

Just listened to the Gottlieb and Rome interviews... still feel pretty mixed about Manning.

He's not really saying a whole lot in any of these interviews... but I can't really fault that because he's only been the coach for a week or so, and what is he going to say in April, anyway? He's not overly enthusiastic... and he says the basic stuff that [Redacted] said (and pretty much any other coach would say).

1- He keeps saying he hopes the 4 hall of fame coaches in the ACC retire soon. Yeah, I get it... trying to get a laugh. But it is kind of LOWF... and I thought we all wanted a coach that wanted to go head to head with those guys and beat them. I realize he's just trying to be cordial and complimentary, but not my favorite comment.
2- He seems to really be lowballing expectations for the next 1-2 years. He has a right to do that... these aren't his players. He doesn't know them all that well yet. But these are the guys he's going to have for the next 2 years... would prefer that he try to motivate them instead of making it seem (at least in these interviews) like we aren't going to be all that good until he is able to recruit. Obviously, I think most of us would agree that we don't have the talent to win the ACC in 2014-15... but I'd like to think we aspire to improve off of last year. 20 wins would be nice. .500 in the ACC would be nice.

I'm glad Manning is our coach (especially compared to [Redacted]), but the honeymoon isn't going to last 2 years (unless he pulls in some ridiculous recruits for 2016-17 and buys a little more time).

You know he is not going to say comments like that to the team. Don't know why that would be a concern at all.

You know he is not going to say comments like that to the team. Don't know why that would be a concern at all.

Of course. By why say it at all?

Like I said, I'm glad he's our coach... I just can't say that I'm all that fired up when I hear him talk about Wake Forest and our prospects for the next couple of years.

RE: the next two years- he's being honest. Barring an insanely easy OOC schedule, we will be lucky to be .500 overall next year. Well, unless we find a stud of a 5th year player.

As of now we only have one scholarship for 2015. It's hard to see one player lifting us that much for Year 2.

He's had a few practices with the current roster by now. Of course he's not very enthusiastic about next year.

He's got to significantly outperform last year in order for me to believe he is the guy. He's got a similar squad and is replacing a horrible coach. I'm guessing UF replaces Kansas on a similar schedule.

Not sure. I think Travis and Coron are critical losses and will be very hard to replace. Those were essentially our only shooters on the team.

Agreed. I'm not where close to being sold on Manning with his resume. He needs to produce from the get-go. No excuses.

Winners win games. Losers make excuses.

Back