• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning on Gottlieb show today

There's nothing I'd rather say than to post I expect us to win 20 or more. Looking at our likely schedule, I just don't see it.

We won 16 games during the regular season. We can't expect to beat either Duke or UNC next year. Of course we won't lose to BC (who may be even worse than VT was this year) and will likely not lose to F$U. Maybe we pick up one OOC. That leaves three to pick up in the ACC.

If we get to 20 regular season wins, Manning has done a great job. I hope he does. It's going to be really tough. We need to be realistic.

That would make sense if it was just two years of poor road performance that we could pin on the players. Instead it is clearly a coach issue.
Yeah, I don't get a lot of the reaction to Manning on this board, from a lot of the most vocal people demanding change. Either we had a major coach problem or not. If it was a major coaching problem worse than any other in ACC history, then a much better coach should produce much better results. Manning is a much better coach.

It's like a lot of people can't get out of the habit of complaining about Bz...so now it's Bz's legacy that's the problem that will lead to 10 years of despair! LOWF.

A big part of [Redacted]'s deficiency was recruiting. A major part. We will continue to suffer until DM gets his guys in, assuming he significantly improves the talent level.

Bullshit. It isn't just about the coach. It is also about the personnel - for which the prior coach is responsible.
But with the worst coach in ACC history...that team won game against some good teams the past 2 years. We may lack players to be #1 in the ACC but c'mon...we don't have horrible players. They're solid and coachable, with some good talent coming into the program. Win some road games and don't freeze up at home vs the GaTechs (which IMO are the same problem) and we'll be in the NCAAT.

But with the worst coach in ACC history...that team won game against some good teams the past 2 years. We may lack players to be #1 in the ACC but c'mon...we don't have horrible players. They're solid and coachable, with some good talent coming into the program. Win some road games and don't freeze up at home vs the GaTechs (which IMO are the same problem) and we'll be in the NCAAT.

Agreed, although I don't see NCAA tournament for this group. That being said, while they may be less talented overall than teams of the past because they are without a true 'star', they are a group of good players that have proved willing to leave it all on the court. Respect.

A big part of [Redacted]'s deficiency was recruiting. A major part. We will continue to suffer until DM gets his guys in, assuming he significantly improves the talent level.
Seriously? Bz had two NBA players at Colorado and had the same crappy track record. Are you saying that was recruiting too?

The dude was not able to land players that would enable us to be #1 in the country or the ACC. Are you actually implying that since there is no hope of being #1 that's suffering? Yes, we had that type of talent at times under Skip and Dino, but our talent does not suck and getting into the NCAAT would not be 'suffering'. It seems some of you guys have lost total perspective over this ordeal..and that's not Bz's fault, that's your choice.

Agreed, although I don't see NCAA tournament for this group. That being said, while they may be less talented overall than teams of the past because they are without a true 'star', they are a group of good players that have proved willing to leave it all on the court. Respect.
I understand the reluctance to believe in this team, even with Manning.....but one thing Bz recruited was coachable players. I think their fundamentals are probably way better than what we saw during games. The schizophrenic home vs road W-L problem was 100% coaching and that impediment is now gone. I think the players will fit Manning's style immediately so that won't be a problem. I think we'll see them come out and absolutely pound some teams right out of the gate and by mid-season will be pretty good defensively. These guys will be in the NCAAT either next year or as seniors.

I wasn't a fan of Danny Manning when he was hired. But I think he is moving us in the right direction. He is going after 4 and 5* players. He isn't afraid of those 4 hall of fame coaches. He is getting ready to beat them at their own game. Let's get behind him and help him do just that!

There's nothing I'd rather say than to post I expect us to win 20 or more. Looking at our likely schedule, I just don't see it.

We won 16 games during the regular season. We can't expect to beat either Duke or UNC next year. Of course we won't lose to BC (who may be even worse than VT was this year) and will likely not lose to F$U. Maybe we pick up one OOC. That leaves three to pick up in the ACC.

If we get to 20 regular season wins, Manning has done a great job. I hope he does. It's going to be really tough. We need to be realistic.

This is a dumb argument. Of course we can't expect to beat them but every year every team wins some games they don't expect to win. There are very few unbeatable teams in college basketball anymore. I don't care how great Duke's Freshman are if we catch them on the right night they will be beatable.

That said I don't expect us to win 20 games next year. This year's team was more like a 15 win team than a 17 win team. Regression to the mean as far as luck goes (way to kenpom-y for RJ I know) and a 3-4 win improvement in coaching alone should put us at about 18-19 wins.

That number will fluctuate up or down depending on how much (or how little) Shelton, GMC, and HOF Green can contribute.

What's dumb is to take one sentence out of context when context is essential. For us to have a net gain of 3-4 wins this year, we must find 4-5 wins we didn't have this year. It's extremely unlikely that we will beat either of the stronger Duke or UNC teams. It's unimaginable that we will beat both. Luckily we have one game we should definitely pick up- the loss to BC.

Also central to our net record is our OOC schedule. It's been reported that we will be playing Florida. That's a loss. If we play in a good preseason tourney, that's at least one more loss. This means we'll only have one more loss during OOC or we fall behind this year.

We are going to need significant contributions from Shelton and GMC just to have the same record as we did this year. We could be better in 14-15 and have a worse record. This is very possible.

Their recruiting class is as good as or better than KY's of this year.

We'll see. Kentuckys class was 8 deep with 6 burger boys and they started 5 of them-won 30 games (29, whatever) and went to the championship. This Duke freshman class would basically have to win the championship by themselves to prove themselves better.

We'll see. Kentuckys class was 8 deep with 6 burger boys and they started 5 of them-won 30 games (29, whatever) and went to the championship. This Duke freshman class would basically have to win the championship by themselves to prove themselves better.

Like a moth to the flame, or a PhDeac to a thread about coaching

Back