• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hillsborough 30 for 30

Probably the best 30 for 30 made thus far. I want to see justice for the 96.

My question is given the general hooligan culture of the 70s & 80s + Heysel, how much did that contribute to the coverup?

It seems Heysel poisoned the well as far as getting any real answers at the time or in the years after.

Did anyone catch the two 30 for 30 shorts last night? The Chilean one sounded really fascinating.

Great documentary.

I haven't been - and hope I never am - in a situation where someone very close to me is killed in a tragedy. But as much as you want justice for the victims and their families, it makes you wonder at want point the quest for justice get in the way of the healing process and just prolongs the suffering. I can think of two people who died in my hometown when I was growing up where the families pushed long and hard for "justice." On the outside it looks like they're trying to change something (a bridge in one case, a emergency response policy in the other) so that the tragedy won't occur to others, but it feels more like they're doing it to put the blame on something when it was just a tragedy (or, if anything, the victim's own recklessness).

(I realize my examples where the victims' families are trying to create something to blame aren't perfect analogies for Hillsborough where there was a preventable cause, people who deserved blame, and a coverup. But I think the point about prolonging the grieving still stands)

Great documentary.

I haven't been - and hope I never am - in a situation where someone very close to me is killed in a tragedy. But as much as you want justice for the victims and their families, it makes you wonder at want point the quest for justice get in the way of the healing process and just prolongs the suffering. I can think of two people who died in my hometown when I was growing up where the families pushed long and hard for "justice." On the outside it looks like they're trying to change something (a bridge in one case, a emergency response policy in the other) so that the tragedy won't occur to others, but it feels more like they're doing it to put the blame on something when it was just a tragedy (or, if anything, the victim's own recklessness).

(I realize my examples where the victims' families are trying to create something to blame aren't perfect analogies for Hillsborough where there was a preventable cause, people who deserved blame, and a coverup. But I think the point about prolonging the grieving still stands)

The difference here is that the victims were portrayed as lawbreakers, when in reality they died because of incompetence.

Did anyone catch the two 30 for 30 shorts last night? The Chilean one sounded really fascinating.

Watched them last night. Seemed a little thin since they were only :30 each - more like just telling an anecdote than delving into a "documentary" - but watching a half hour of Maradona film can't be a bad time ;)

Back