• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jack Mccloskey

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO! I learned recently that Rich Habeggar was still in W-S....There use to be a tailor shop downtown name Lefkowitz (sp?) and wondered if anyone knew if this was the b-ball player's or his family's business....may have had different spelling.....I was a young boy....

I'm glad I posted this about Jack Mccloskey. Apparently, it stirred the memories of some loyal deacon fans about that era. I have enjoyed reading the accounts and hope to read more. This gives me a good feeling - something I have lacked for a while now.

I'm glad I posted this about Jack Mccloskey. Apparently, it stirred the memories of some loyal deacon fans about that era. I have enjoyed reading the accounts and hope to read more. This gives me a good feeling - something I have lacked for a while now.

Yeah, memories of Charlie, Gil, Anthony, Delaney and friends do that for us.

Newton Scott was another local player on the early McCloskey teams, who was a typical Deacon 'big man'. He was not quite big enough (6-6) or good enough against Duke, State, or UNC, but never was short on effort. Newton was a good leaper who competed in the high jump in high school, and maybe at WFU too. Like Willie G., Newton was also a state champion. He lead his Northwest Forsyth Falcons (one of the forerunners to North Forsyth) to the NC 2A State Championship in a game that I saw, and was played in the Reynolds High School gymnasium, the same gymn that Reynolds still uses.

Anyone remember Nick Orenzek (sp?), Sam Jackson. or Willie Griffin? Didn't they play for both McCloskey and Tacy?

Not sure, but I think Willie Griffin was an early Tacy recruit, if not, the McCloskey recruited him just before leaving. He was "super sub" at, I believe, the old Atkins High in W-S (maybe the other African-American school). He was a "sixth man" in high school who came into the game at the first opportunity and played the rest of the game. He had a decent career at Wake but wasn't the all-star everyone expected. If they had the rating systems then that they now have, he'd probably have been a 4-star recruit. Really likeable guy and a fan favorite.

Back