• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No Scrimmage Report: discussing 3rd asst coach; super ceral

I think it's a weight off everyone's shoulders that [name redacted] is gone so now we can really talk about just how pedestrian our roster is instead of how much we dislike the coach.

I told my wife one time the dinner she had cooked was quite pedestrian. Apparently that is not a good thing.

And she didn't make your sleeping arrangements to be shared with neighborhood pedestrians?

I think it's a weight off everyone's shoulders that [name redacted] is gone so now we can really talk about just how pedestrian our roster is instead of how much we dislike the coach.

It is difficult to determine how pedestrian, or not, our players are until they play under another coach. Under DM we will see who are ture buttheads and who are not. :D

Nah. Great players can overcome crap coaching, at least in the regular season against middling opponents. Our players couldn't even do that.

But Manning has got to do much better than [Redacted] did with them.

When a player is listed at 6'9, then of course fans are going to say "well, Devin is 6'9"

166.gif

I told my wife one time the dinner she had cooked was quite pedestrian. Apparently that is not a good thing.

I said that to my wife, and I became a pedestrian. If the players buy in to MANball, we'll be OK.

This roster may allow us not to get embarrassed on a nightly basis but there is little upside. When we had Ish and LD in the backcourt teams packed it in and we will see a ton of zone.

I predict CMM will become a decent shooter by next season. Something to the tune of 33% from three and 40-45 from the field. Nothing spectacular, but he has a decent shot underneath all of the horrible results. His shot regressed GREATLY during the [Redacted] era. If you take a look at him as a high schooler vs. the form he was displaying last year it is pretty embarrassing. This is one of the reasons I wasn't all that thrilled to have Chill come back. Anyone that allows CMM to develop the bad shooting habits that he showed last year should not be coaching basketball. Hopefully for our sake [Redacted] was holding Chill back, because from the look of our guards we had zero players take a step forward with their shot last year. Cav certainly did, but he was a big man. All of our returning guards regressed mightily with concern to shooting the basketball.

When a player is listed at 6'9, then of course fans are going to say "well, Devin is 6'9"

Yeah, odd thing to pick on. NCAA height listings always cheat taller - across the board. NBA prospect boards have him at 6'8" - guess that changes everything.

Still need a shooter far more than we need a "true center."

I predict CMM will become a decent shooter by next season. Something to the tune of 33% from three and 40-45 from the field. Nothing spectacular, but he has a decent shot underneath all of the horrible results. His shot regressed GREATLY during the [name redacted] era. If you take a look at him as a high schooler vs. the form he was displaying last year it is pretty embarrassing. This is one of the reasons I wasn't all that thrilled to have Chill come back. Anyone that allows CMM to develop the bad shooting habits that he showed last year should not be coaching basketball. Hopefully for our sake [name redacted] was holding Chill back, because from the look of our guards we had zero players take a step forward with their shot last year. Cav certainly did, but he was a big man. All of our returning guards regressed mightily with concern to shooting the basketball.

Unfortunately, it seems Chill worked very closely with CMM.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/01/3500263/wake-forest-guard-learns-from.html
WINSTON-SALEM — Two voices were audible near one basket inside the almost-empty arena – the instructor and the student.

“Make your first off the dribble so you can get a rhythm,” said Randolph Childress. “Don’t think about it. Everything’s one at a time. One at a time. Same motion.”

Nearby, and most certainly within earshot, an unguarded and shirtless Codi Miller-McIntyre tried shot after shot from beyond the 3-point arc, first from the left wing, then from the right. “Come on, Codi!” he exhorted himself. “Shoot the ball.”

-----------------------------------

Not surprisingly, then, Miller-McIntyre can be found working with Childress before and after practices and pregame walk-throughs, seeking to tame a jump shot that varies in form from attempt to attempt. “He’s more than a coach, he’s a mentor, basically,” Miller-McIntyre said. “He played here before. He’s done everything that I wish to do in the future.”

The apprenticeship extends off the court as well. “He’s my older brother who played basketball,” said Miller-McIntyre, who has three sisters. “We talk about real life beyond basketball in terms of the work world – girls, basketball, school, everything.”

Childress’ tutoring includes how to prepare for a contest long before getting to the arena. Miller-McIntyre has taken up yoga. He listens to “calm, soothing” instrumental music like Beethoven and to inspirational spoken words to take his thinking to “a deeper level,” as he called it. Only as he’s about to take the court does he resort to the louder, more insistent music that once was his sole preparation for entering competition.

And he works devotedly at his craft, with Childress there to goad, guide and support.

I predict CMM will become a decent shooter by next season. Something to the tune of 33% from three and 40-45 from the field. Nothing spectacular, but he has a decent shot underneath all of the horrible results. His shot regressed GREATLY during the [Redacted] era. If you take a look at him as a high schooler vs. the form he was displaying last year it is pretty embarrassing. This is one of the reasons I wasn't all that thrilled to have Chill come back. Anyone that allows CMM to develop the bad shooting habits that he showed last year should not be coaching basketball. Hopefully for our sake [Redacted] was holding Chill back, because from the look of our guards we had zero players take a step forward with their shot last year. Cav certainly did, but he was a big man. All of our returning guards regressed mightily with concern to shooting the basketball.

Cav also worked his ass off last off-season. Hope he does the same this year. He could certainly benefit a great deal from Manning being here.

Just having experience doesn't really mean much. Players improve every year, and hopefully that improvement will increase with better coaching, but just because our team will have more experience doesn't mean they will be significantly better.

For reference, below is the average final KenPom rating of the top ten most experienced teams for the past five years:
2014 - 159.6 (highest: 35; lowest: 287)
2013 - 112.2 (highest: 14; lowest: 260)
2012 - 134.8 (highest: 8; lowest: 288)
2011 - 163.2 (highest: 17; lowest: 343)
2010 - 188.7 (highest: 42; lowest: 284)

I would imagine when you find the ten most experience power conference teams that the averages are a lot better. Having a team full of four year players in the MEAC isn't going to be as impressive (especially since your experience is going to be dragged down by having an extremely talented player who might go pro after one or two years).

I would imagine when you find the ten most experience power conference teams that the averages are a lot better. Having a team full of four year players in the MEAC isn't going to be as impressive (especially since your experience is going to be dragged down by having an extremely talented player who might go pro after one or two years).

Kind of. Power conference teams:

2014 - 38.1 (Highest: 7; Lowest: 76; Power Conf. Avg.: 67.4)
2013 - 75.7 (Highest: 2; Lowest: 264; Power Conf. Avg.: 73.5)
2012 - 45.7 (Highest: 4; Lowest: 150; Power Conf. Avg.: 76.7)
2011 - 56.3 (Highest: 11; Lowest: 117; Power Conf. Avg.: 65.1)
2010 - 41.2 (Highest: 1; Lowest: 106; Power Conf. Avg.: 63.9)

5-Year Most-Experienced Avg - 51.4
5-Year Power Conf. Avg - 69.3

So the most experienced teams are better, but I wouldn't call it extremely significant. Experience will buy you a couple of wins, which wouldn't be enough to vault the 2014 Wake team to the NCAA tourney.

Chill is quite fortunate to have retained his position. Danny has already said that the other coaches will coach and Chill will watch early on until Chill understands what is expected. Chill is not still here because he is a great coach at this point.

We should all be excited about the prospects of what Danny can do for our program. Unfortunately, it will be hard for him (or any other coach for that matter) to demonstrate significant improvement until he can recruit his own players. He will work hard with our existing roster (that has already started), but as noted above ... we dont have a true 5, we dont have any quality depth in our bigs, and we dont have a perimeter threat. Other than that ... roses.

Cant help but wonder what Isaac Haas would have done if he had been able to see the future ...

Did Childress get the spot because Manning couldn't get anybody else?

Back