• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CP3 Article from Grantland

Good article. His main problem is he doesn't play in the laughable Eastern Division

Great article. As a Bills fan, I understand the dilemma. Jim Kelly never "won" anything, at least in the minds of fans outside Buffalo. He really did win something, to be fair - 4 consecutive AFC titles. He just happened to win them in an era of NFC domination. Kelly did win his fair share of playoff games...but in the NFL, the only one that counts is the Super Bowl. The NBA is different, of course, and Chris has won what, a single playoff series? The argument is silly, thought. Is Rondo better than CP3 because of the Celtics' playoff success? Of course not, but by this metric, he must be.

I hope one day Chris gets to play with guys who can match his ability and intensity. Until then...we'll get this nonsense.

Good article. His main problem is he doesn't play in the laughable Eastern Division

Yes, but. Yes, the Clips would be a cinch to meet Miami in the Eastern finals if they were in the East. But I wouldn't give them that much of a chance against Miami, and even less of a chance against San Antonio or OKC. And yes, you can completely discount the N'awleans years because that team had little to work with. But this Clips line-up is pretty darn good, at least on paper, and Doc Rivers is 1 of the best coaches in the NBA. And add to the discussion something the author didn't mention - CP3 played for 2 of the most talent laden teams in Wake history, and we have no hardware to show for it - no regular season title, no ACC Tourney wins and the best Dance result was losing to St Joes after barely getting by Manhattan and VCU (before VCU was VCU). This is not to say the Clips don't have other issues. While very talented, DeAndre and Blake aren't great shooters, and JJ isn't exactly a lock down defender. And even now that they have a great coach, they still seem to be missing a little something that keeps them a notch down from San Antonio, OKC and Miami. I hope they find that something in the next few years (I want 1 more for San Antonio this year) and do get that title so CP3 and Blake can get that monkey off their backs.

It will probably be another tough year to pass any judgement on the Clippers. They had the 3rd best record in the NBA but will have to play the team with the 2nd best record (OKC) in round 2.

If they lose to Golden State (sans Bogut) that will be a pretty significant failure, although GS has like the 7th best record in the NBA this year. So it's certainly not an easy series. If they beat GS and give OKC a tough series, it's hard to criticize that. With Redick appearing significantly less than 100% healthy I'm not sure they have a chance to beat both OKC and the Spurs.

Yes, but. Yes, the Clips would be a cinch to meet Miami in the Eastern finals if they were in the East. But I wouldn't give them that much of a chance against Miami, and even less of a chance against San Antonio or OKC. And yes, you can completely discount the N'awleans years because that team had little to work with. But this Clips line-up is pretty darn good, at least on paper, and Doc Rivers is 1 of the best coaches in the NBA. And add to the discussion something the author didn't mention - CP3 played for 2 of the most talent laden teams in Wake history, and we have no hardware to show for it - no regular season title, no ACC Tourney wins and the best Dance result was losing to St Joes after barely getting by Manhattan and VCU (before VCU was VCU). This is not to say the Clips don't have other issues. While very talented, DeAndre and Blake aren't great shooters, and JJ isn't exactly a lock down defender. And even now that they have a great coach, they still seem to be missing a little something that keeps them a notch down from San Antonio, OKC and Miami. I hope they find that something in the next few years (I want 1 more for San Antonio this year) and do get that title so CP3 and Blake can get that monkey off their backs.

WAKE: Glad the writer left that out. However, what other NBA players did CP3 play with while at Wake? If we had so much talent, why did we suck the year after he left? The best Dance result was our best Dance result in the past 18 years.

CLIPPERS: In the 30 seasons of the Donald Sterling Era before Chris Paul arrived, the Clippers won 1 playoff series and 11 playoff games.

In the 2+ seasons since Paul has arrived, the Clippers have won 1 playoff series and 7 playoff games.

The Clippers winning percentage increased from .390 to .606 in Paul's 1st year. The next 2 seasons their winning percentage was > .680 and they won their 1st 2 division titles in the 44 year history of the franchise.

NEW ORLEANS: their winning percentage increased from .220 to .463 in his 1st year. The year after he left, their winning percentage dropped from .561 to .318. Their worst season in his 6 seasons was 37-45. Their best season in the 3 since he left is 34-48.

It's not like CP is losing playoff series as a big favorite. I think the Clips lost the 4/5 match-up as the 4 seed last year but other than that his teams have played to seed. It's really hard to advance in the west.

WAKE: Glad the writer left that out. However, what other NBA players did CP3 play with while at Wake? If we had so much talent, why did we suck the year after he left? The best Dance result was our best Dance result in the past 18 years.

Our starting 5 was CP3, Gray, Levy, Danelius and Big E with Taron as 6th man. I can't think of a more talented overall line-up in the last 30 years, although Chill, Timmy and fill in 3 blanks was darn good and as were some of those RoRo teams. The year after we sucked because we had no point guard, and they would have been pretty good had Taron had 1 more year of eligibility. And the fact that beating Manhattan and pre-Shaka VCU was our best post-Timmy showing in the Dance shows how badly we've underachieved in the post-season across the board post-Timmy.

The fact remains that, while CP3 is absolute poetry in motion and is the best PG in the NBA since Magic and Stockton, he has no college or pro hardware of any kind. Doc is correct so far. Hopefully that changes soon.

Our starting 5 was CP3, Gray, Levy, Danelius and Big E with Taron as 6th man. I can't think of a more talented overall line-up in the last 30 years, although Chill, Timmy and fill in 3 blanks was darn good and as were some of those RoRo teams. The year after we sucked because we had no point guard, and they would have been pretty good had Taron had 1 more year of eligibility. And the fact that beating Manhattan and pre-Shaka VCU was our best post-Timmy showing in the Dance shows how badly we've underachieved in the post-season across the board post-Timmy.

The fact remains that, while CP3 is absolute poetry in motion and is the best PG in the NBA since Magic and Stockton, he has no college or pro hardware of any kind. Doc is correct so far. Hopefully that changes soon.

You can't think of a more talented Wake team...which is why we progressed as far as we had in 20 years.

It's not like CP is losing playoff series as a big favorite. I think the Clips lost the 4/5 match-up as the 4 seed last year but other than that his teams have played to seed. It's really hard to advance in the west.

Yeah the NBA hasn't exactly been lacking in competition since CP entered the league. The Duncan Spurs, Miami's Big 3 and Durant's Thunder are all formidable opponents.

Edited to add obviously they wouldn't meet Miami until the Finals but still a major obstacle in winning it all.

Chris Paul did not play with a single person at Wake that got drafted. While playing or being drafted by the NBA is not the only measure of talent, I would rank the '09 squad of Teague, L.D., James Johnson, AFA and Chas higher. Ish, Gary Clark and Tony Woods came off the bench, except in the Cleveland St. game. #$*&*%(*#(^

Re: we would have been pretty good with a 5th year Taron Downey. Sure that would have been nice, but the same roster that beat State in Raleigh 5 days earlier lost to them by 16 on a neutral court. Only difference: no Chris Paul, as that was the beginning of the Curse of the Nut Punch.

Like you, I hope his lack of postseason success changes soon. But until then, I won't disparage our best tournament season in 18 years by saying things like "barely getting by Manhattan and VCU (before VCU was VCU)" and "pre-Shaka VCU."

Ceiling on this Clips team is higher than any in CP's career. They could still use a 3rd tier 1 talent, but as of now they have two allstars, an elite defender/rim protector and 2-3 good to great spot up shooters. The west is loaded though, so we will see.

Big CP3 related what-if is if the fookin Bobcats didn't win a meaningless final game of their first season against the Pistons who were resting starters, they would have been in the fourth slot for the draft and would have had the opportunity to draft Chris.

Chris Paul did not play with a single person at Wake that got drafted. While playing or being drafted by the NBA is not the only measure of talent, I would rank the '09 squad of Teague, L.D., James Johnson, AFA and Chas higher. Ish, Gary Clark and Tony Woods came off the bench, except in the Cleveland St. game. #$*&*%(*#(^

Re: we would have been pretty good with a 5th year Taron Downey. Sure that would have been nice, but the same roster that beat State in Raleigh 5 days earlier lost to them by 16 on a neutral court. Only difference: no Chris Paul, as that was the beginning of the Curse of the Nut Punch.

Like you, I hope his lack of postseason success changes soon. But until then, I won't disparage our best tournament season in 18 years by saying things like "barely getting by Manhattan and VCU (before VCU was VCU)" and "pre-Shaka VCU."

Ain't nothing wrong with coming up just short against those St Joe's guards. But c'mon, barely beating VCU and Manhattan, who were both true mid-majors at best in those days, wasn't exactly a great tourney run. And the next year we lost to effin' Pittsnoggle in the 2nd round. Overall, you gotta say those 2 teams underachieved in those 2 postseasons.

And after some thought, I'll give you that Teague, AFA and Johnson team as having more overall talent. But it wasn't a better team because it was a pretty flawed collection of talent. Those CP3 teams were complete teams with 5 very good starters, though they didn't exactly play good D. That Teague/AFA/Johnson team had individual talent but it didn't mesh well on the court. They played much better D than the CP3 teams, I believe partly because they were more athletic on the whole, and because they had gone to the packline man. But offensively they were a mess. After Teague lost his shot in February, no one on that team could throw it in the ocean from > 15'. And Teague and Ish didn't exactly work well as a guard tandom.

Back