• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CP3 Article from Grantland

Senior Josh Howard did as well or better than Paul did with the same players.

NBA writers are hilarious with articles about this. NBA history is full of great players who couldn't win championships against the dominant players of their time. There are plenty of great players who couldn't beat the Lakers or Celtics, the Bad Boys or Bulls, the Spurs, Lakers, or Heat.

You can't use the same standard in the NBA as in MLB or the NFL. Dynasties are much easier to sustain in the NBA than other leagues. There are only 10 players on the court at a time. If you aren't the best one or one of the 3 on your team in the top 4, you probably aren't winning a title. Is it really Chris Paul's fault if he can't get by Durant/Westbrook, Duncan/Parker/Manu/Pop, and Lebron/Wade/Bosh to win a championship?

Agree his Wake teams underachieved in the postseason as a whole. No problem with the 03-04 results; our lack of defense killed us against WVU.

Hate the way that Teague/Ish stuff went down. Ranks up there with '01, '97 and '92 as disappointing finishes to seasons you could see coming from a mile away. Guess the same could be said about '05 post-nutpunch.

Senior Josh Howard did as well or better than Paul did with the same players.

By winning the ACC regular season, yes. Not in the NCAAT or regular season national rankings ('03 team was never ranked higher than #8; the '05 team was never ranked lower than #7).

Last edited:
By winning the ACC regular season, yes. Not in the NCAAT or regular season national rankings ('03 team was never ranked higher than #8; the '05 team was never ranked lower than #7).

Yep. Things were good until Josh decided to either get drunk, stoned or point shave before the last 4 games of that season.

Chris Paul did not play with a single person at Wake that got drafted. While playing or being drafted by the NBA is not the only measure of talent, I would rank the '09 squad of Teague, L.D., James Johnson, AFA and Chas higher. Ish, Gary Clark and Tony Woods came off the bench, except in the Cleveland St. game. #$*&*%(*#(^

Re: we would have been pretty good with a 5th year Taron Downey. Sure that would have been nice, but the same roster that beat State in Raleigh 5 days earlier lost to them by 16 on a neutral court. Only difference: no Chris Paul, as that was the beginning of the Curse of the Nut Punch.

Like you, I hope his lack of postseason success changes soon. But until then, I won't disparage our best tournament season in 18 years by saying things like "barely getting by Manhattan and VCU (before VCU was VCU)" and "pre-Shaka VCU."

Did you really have to bring this up? I was just getting over it...

This is from Simmons today:

Q: Is Chris Paul better than you think, worse than you think or exactly what you think?

Because it’s the Internet and people have to come up with stuff to talk about every day, you knew this list would start glowing in neon the moment Chris looked shaky in a playoff game …

NUMBER OF PLAYOFF SERIES WON BY THE LOTTERY CLASS OF 2005
Andrew Bynum: 10
Deron Williams: 4
Marvin Williams: 3
Channing Frye: 2
Chris Paul: 2
Andrew Bogut: 1
Ray Felton: 1

What happened? He helped blow Game 1 on Saturday, and naturally “What has Chris Paul ever won?” became a thing. So here’s a quick story: The following morning, Steve Nash dropped into our NBA Countdown vortex to shoot a few segments with us. During our preshow meeting, I mentioned that Paul was getting criticized for his Game 1 performance, and asked if it might affect someone even as good as Paul if something like “What has he ever won?” morphed into a national story line. What happened? Nash made a face and said, “Chris is the best point guard in the league, it’s not even close. When you have the ball in your hands all the time, you’re going to make mistakes sometimes.”

(The answer: Actually, Chris Paul is better than you think — as you saw last night, when he masterfully fouled Steph Curry on the game’s deciding play in a way that was never, ever, EVER getting called.)

The weird thing about Paul is that he entered the NBA when the PG position was pretty weak.

Here is the 2005 All-Star game roster:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NBA_All-Star_Game#Roster

Steve Nash was the only true PG in the All-Star game as a West reserve (Iverson did start for the East).

Since he entered the league, PG is a position of strength. He's still one of the best, but I don't think he has the day in, day out advantage many of those thought he would have when he got drafted.

So you take issue with my assessment that the PG position is much stronger than when Paul entered the league?

No. I'm saying that Steve Nash's assessment > Ph's assessment.

So you're making something out of nothing for no real reason?

So you take issue with my assessment that the PG position is much stronger than when Paul entered the league?

He's still being evaluated amongst his peers, though, and he's not that much older than a lot of these guys. I guess I'm confused as to what exactly you're arguing here because Paul and his class of PGs were the vanguard of the revitalization of the PG position in the NBA.

Back