• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is the Board protecting Clawson

Much better teams. That's what happens when Wellman goes from letting a Odom walk after making the NCAAT and firing Caldwell the year after his only bowl game to letting hoops and football waste away before making a move on [Redacted] and Grobe.

That said, Clawson and Manning were hired to win with what they inherited and get better talent. Clawson has already brought in better talent and I anticipate that talent will help out immediately in the Fall. Manning needs to get some recruiting momentum ASAP.

Claw has a rep of turning thing around over time. In his first presser he said that when he got to a new job (BG), he was told his OL was fine. His rebuilding of the program was set back when he found out it wasn't true. I think the key for 2014 will be if the upperclassmen (3rd and 4th year players)buy in. We could win 6 games if this happens. If not, these upperclassmen will be thanked for their efforts and sent packing to be replaced with another 25+ member recruiting class. If they don't help this year, what makes us think they'll help us next year.

Clawson told that story to tell us he had learned from previous mistakes he had made and was prepared to win immediately. And then he went out and brought in one player at every position.

Clawson told that story to tell us he had learned from previous mistakes he had made and was prepared to win immediately. And then he went out and brought in one player at every position.

Yep, but I want to see the guys who have burned through 150-200K of scholly money and have done DICK, show up or throw up. Basford, Willis, Terry, James, Preble, Goodwin, just to name a few on Offense. Nikita complained after '12 that too many players were "just hanging out" on the sidelines during games. These same players were probably "hanging out" in the weight room, film room and practice fields as well. If not, they would not have been replaced by kids off the bus. Barry Alverez was right to release a boat load of upperclassmen when he arrived at Wisconsin.

Lol. This says it all.

It really does.

This thread is telling me Clawson has a lot of work to do with our fanbase. Wake fans love to explain why we can't win.

76, I have no idea who will step up and who won't. I definitely would be shocked if Clawson didn't bring in another 22-25 man class with one player at each position and an extra RB or ATH.

Last edited:
Duh! Grobe did like Tacy- got out before a real disaster hit. The cupboard is bare at QB, RB, DL, and almost bare at WR.

This. The talent on this year's team is poor. Could Clawson have taken the last 2 teams to a bowl? Probably. But this year, 4-5 wins is probably the best we can hope for. Let's hope the Grobies don't call for his head after 1 or 2 bad years. It's going to take a little bit

There's a difference in believing it's not possible to win at Wake at all and making a reasonable assessment of how our team is going to perform next year after looking at our roster and schedule.

There's a difference in believing it's not possible to win at Wake at all and making a reasonable assessment of how our team is going to perform next year after looking at our roster and schedule.

Keep in mind you're judging them based on what they did under an ineffective prior staff. Clawson has done everything we could ask for so far. It's not too much to believe that he could make some major breakthroughs this Spring and Fall before stepping on the field.

Inexperience at key positions is still inexperience regardless of who's coaching them. This team is going to take some lumps this year. I expect a few guys to step up. But we're going to have depth issues even if we get lucky in that department.

He's bringing in a class of higher rated guys than we are accustomed to but I'm guessing 75%+ of them will shirt this year. The guys left behind were probably collectively the lowest bunch of recruits in the ACC and they haven't shown much in the way of outplaying their star ratings. If he's not a miracle worker the first year I'm going to give him a pass unless we just see egregious coaching mistakes.

It seems the Board is protecting Clawson by creating a scenario that the team is not good; therefore 7 losses is Ok. My position is the coaching has been very bad for years, and we have won 5 games. I think the talent has not changed. We now have a better defense and more suspect offense. But the players are about the same. THE CLAW should win 6 games. The ACC is down, and we play a lot of bad teams.

I'm CLAW in but we should not give him a free pass.

He can definitely talk the talk, now it is time to WALK THE WALK

We are losing out best defensive player and our best offensive player.

Our team is God-awful. The roster is so thin Clawson didn't know if he could field a first and second team on each side of the ball for the Spring Game until what, Monday of this week? And we have limited experience at key positions, as another poster already mentioned. We are going to get our asses kicked this year. That's not LOWF, we're just at the bottom of a down cycle. Happens everywhere at some point.

I said it in another post, but unless he does something utterly bizarre or becomes a prick like [name redacted] (which I do not expect), Clawson gets a pass until year 3. I know we'll be back. It's just hard right now because we have been down so low in football AND basketball for years, after the fun years of the Prosser/Grobe (before he lost his drive) combo.

The W-L record means a lot less to me this year than not seeing stupid shit like trying to turn our 4th year senior pocket QB into an option QB.

The W-L record means a lot less to me this year than not seeing stupid shit like trying to turn our 4th year senior pocket QB into an option QB.

Hell, I'll be happy if I NEVER see another punt from the opponent's 32 yard line!

Maybe my standards have diminished over the past few years of Wake sports, but hell, I'd settle for just a little passion on the sideline. Maybe a headset toss or some outrage avec expletives...?

Much better teams. That's what happens when Wellman goes from letting a Odom walk after making the NCAAT and firing Caldwell the year after his only bowl game to letting hoops and football waste away before making a move on [name redacted] and Grobe.

That said, Clawson and Manning were hired to win with what they inherited and get better talent. Clawson has already brought in better talent and I anticipate that talent will help out immediately in the Fall. Manning needs to get some recruiting momentum ASAP.

Grobe & Co. left us with a dearth of talent. Recruiting was our biggest deficiency, followed closely by player development. Our offensive philosophy last year (or lack thereof) was mind boggling, and showed to the world Grobe's unwillingness to fix major problems, but we were so out manned in most cases, it was in general pretty futile. Having said that, I think the gap between 4 wins and bowl eligibility is pretty small. So here are my expectations:

Year 1: I expect to see a commitment to a philosophy on offense, better execution by special teams (the key to Grobe's early success and very much lacking the past few years), a more balanced mindset (not just throwing it all on the defense to win every game), player development (let's show some improvement in some things over the course of the season). This may or may not translate into many more wins this year, but I won't be disappointed if we miss a bowl but show real progress in these areas.

Year 2: We reap the benefits of better recruiting talent with some young impact players and are bowl eligible.

Hell, I'll be happy if I NEVER see another punt from the opponent's 32 yard line!

Maybe my standards have diminished over the past few years of Wake sports, but hell, I'd settle for just a little passion on the sideline. Maybe a headset toss or some outrage avec expletives...?

I don't know if this is "LOWF," but I would seriously settle for these incremental improvements in the first year. Just some tangible shows of progress from the coaching side. The wins will follow.

I don't know if this is "LOWF," but I would seriously settle for these incremental improvements in the first year. Just some tangible shows of progress from the coaching side. The wins will follow.

We'll need to wait for an official ruling from Irish, but I don't think this is LOWF. If we get better every year for the next 2-3 years, will be bowl eligible more times than not. I'm okay with that.

Back