• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The New AD at WFU...

You wouldn't consider that an accomplishment in business?

Not on par with building winning programs.

Maybe the attitude that buildings >= winning among some of our fans is part of the problem.

As a former Wake Tennis player, the word is the new women's coach is horrible, and the men's is top notch. Our new facilties will attract top talent.

I sure hope so, because it has seemed to me for some years now that we have spent an inordinate amount of money (and real estate) on facilities for tennis and golf, with very little ROI from a wins-losses standpoint. Those are two programs where WFU ought to be absolutely killing it every year, yet we seldom have under Ron "there was no obvious conclusion to that meeting" Wellman.

You wouldn't consider that an accomplishment in business?

Getting money to build new buildings/facilities would be an accomplishment in business, but a short-lived one if the new building didn't produce improved results to the bottom line.

The bottom line in this case being wins on the field/court/etc. of athletic competition.

When I think of industry leaders who understand the role facilities play in business, the first names who come to mind are:

Steve Wynn
Conrad Hilton
dv7
PhDeac

There's a fundamental divide on this board between people who see the athletic department as a business vs. as part of the university.

There's a fundamental divide on this board between people who see the athletic department as a business vs. as part of the university.

Certainly the former than the latter, but it cannot be denied that the University is Big Business considering the generated revenue and the number of people employed.

So what's the bottom line?

Fill in the blank: The Wake Forest University athletic department is successful when ___________.

...their individual sports are generally successful on the field. When this happens, certainly people are more willing to give to the athletic dep't.

...their individual sports are generally successful on the field. When this happens, certainly people are more willing to give to the athletic dep't.

So then which one is the bottom line? Success on the field or $$$?

I think we can argue that the bottom line has been $$$ because the dominant narrative coming out of the athletic department has been playing down winning.

So then which one is the bottom line? Success on the field or $$$?

I think we can argue that the bottom line has been $$$ because the dominant narrative coming out of the athletic department has been playing down winning.

Success on the field and $$$ are not mutually exclusive. Also, the culture club people have to fit in there somewhere. As you know, we have to do things "the right way."

Success on the field and $$$ shouldn't be mutually exclusive. If buildings are the end product of $$$, we've been building buildings without a lot of success on the field for much of the last decade.

Success on the field and $$$ shouldn't be mutually exclusive. If buildings are the end product of $$$, we've been building buildings without a lot of success on the field for much of the last decade.

I think your point is kind of going off the rails.

The conflict isn't between success on the field vs. $$$$. It's success on the field vs. success in the classroom. Again, two more things that shouldn't be mutually exclusive, but often are.

This discussion has been about how Wellman's ability to build facilities should be judged with respect to declines in on the field performance. Read the OP and subsequent posts about Wellman's building proficiency.

I think you're the first person to bring academics into the discussion.

Last edited:
Back