• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who loves the Yankees? Apparently most of North Carolina

What cable system are you on? They are always on TWC...at least in Charlotte.

About half of NC is Braves TV territory (Charlotte/Asheville/Triad), and the other half is considered outside Braves territory. So in Charlotte and Winston, games are live on Fox Sports/SportsSouth, and here in the Triangle they're blacked out live since it's outside their territory

The Orioles have zero fans apparently.

There's no level you can zoom to to see the Athletics listed. Nor do they have even a plurality of fans in any of the provided districts.

There's no level you can zoom to to see the Athletics listed. Nor do they have even a plurality of fans in any of the provided districts.

sucks, considering how awesome they are

one of the best run franchises in sports

Having grown up a Mets fan in northern NJ, I was amazed at all of the NC kids at Wake who were Yankees fans. I attributed it to poor taste, lack of parental guidance, or both. (Looking at you, BabyDeac).

Nobody understands poor taste more than a Mets fan

haha yea, strictly product on the field-wise, that is

their stadium is awful, fan support awful, etc.

I was behind a pickup truck on the way to work yesterday that had the following stickers on the back:

Yankees
Lakers
Cowboys
UNC

I wanted to vomit.

About half of NC is Braves TV territory (Charlotte/Asheville/Triad), and the other half is considered outside Braves territory. So in Charlotte and Winston, games are live on Fox Sports/SportsSouth, and here in the Triangle they're blacked out live since it's outside their territory

Piggybacking on BBD's post, from the Triad east, including Raleigh, we are considered to be in Orioles-Nationals territory, even though MASN is not available here via Time Warner Cable or AT&T Uverse, so effectively this half of NC has no "local" baseball team.

I was behind a pickup truck on the way to work yesterday that had the following stickers on the back:

Yankees
Lakers
Cowboys
UNC

I wanted to vomit.

The normal combo. Also, braves baseball is all that I watch from April-October here in the triad. Definitely have a tv presence.

I just don't think there's anyway in hell there are more Yankees fans in W-S than Braves fans.

I am a Yankees fan from eastern NC. The reason I am a Yankees fan is that Jim "Catfish" Hunter is from my home town. He played baseball with my Dad (my Dad was a couple of years younger). I started playing Little League Baseball when I was 8 years old and Jimmy Hunter was my coach. He would go down to Spring Training (he had retired the year earlier) and bring back balls and other Yankees stuff and give it to the kids. Also, whenever anyone from our town took a trip up to NY City, he would make sure to leave tickets at Will call at Yankee Stadium. When I was in high school, we would have an Old Timers game to raise money for charity where the current high school team would play the state championship team that Jimmy played on in high school (included quite a few good players that were still in good shape). It was fun to watch him pitch easy pitches to the high school players, until his son got up to the plate (Todd was three years ahead of me) and really bear down and try to strike Todd out.

I didn't know anyone that wasn't a Yankees fan.

CBS owned the Yankees for the 1965-1972 seasons. While the Yankees never went to the WS during that period, they were televised into homes around the country every Saturday. While it may be hard for the younger folks among us to realize, often there was only one game televised nationally each week. ESPN, FoxSports, etc did not exist. Superstations and cable did not exist. The Internet was still just a figment of young Al Gore's imagination. You received CBS and NBC in most markets. There was this fledgling network called ABC, but it was not very good and some markets didnt carry it. In the 60s, Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese brought the Yankees to us every Saturday afternoon. In areas such as NC, there was no hometown team. The Senators in DC were terrible, and the Braves had just relocated from Milwaukee in 1966. For many young NC boys during those formative years, the Yankees became a surrogate "home" team because they were broadcast to us on a regular basis. There was no frontrunning back then either. The Yankees had a losing record from 1965-67 and in 1969. It wasnt all that easy being a Yankees fan during the Horace Clarke years.

It is easy to overlook how much things have changed with technology, 24-hour sports, MLB Network, etc. in a lifetime.

God, I suddenly feel old!
Bingo. No front running involved. For years the only decent players they had were Mel Stottlemeyer (sp?) and Roy White. Horace Clarke was the epitome of mediocre but he was a fixture.

Mickey Mantle was on that team for four of those bad years you're talking about. Even though he was just about done by then,my guess is that he was the draw for a lot of kids, both in and out of the NYC area. And the Yankees were, in fact, bad beginning in 1965. But they went to the World Series one year before that in 1964. And 1963. And 1962. And 1961. And 1960. Plus every kid who became a Yankees fan in the sixties knew who Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio were.

Historical front running!

Yankees
Lakers
Cowboys
UNC

I wanted to vomit.

I've got one up the road from me that is Cowboys, Duke, Red Sox.

Mickey Mantle was on that team for four of those bad years you're talking about. Even though he was just about done by then,my guess is that he was the draw for a lot of kids, both in and out of the NYC area. And the Yankees were, in fact, bad beginning in 1965. But they went to the World Series one year before that in 1964. And 1963. And 1962. And 1961. And 1960. Plus every kid who became a Yankees fan in the sixties knew who Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio were.

Historical front running!

That is true and the aging Mick was exactly why I first became a Yankee fan. Sure was tough sledding for awhile after that, though. Joe Pepitone was supposed to pick up the mantle, so to speak, but that didn't really pan out.

Back