• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who loves the Yankees? Apparently most of North Carolina

Apparently most of the country. In almost every market/county, the Yankees and Red Sox are some combination #2 and #3.

Doesn't surprise me that that half of NC are yankees fans. There are a whole lot of bandwagon walmart fans over that way.

Having grown up a Mets fan in northern NJ, I was amazed at all of the NC kids at Wake who were Yankees fans. I attributed it to poor taste, lack of parental guidance, or both. (Looking at you, BabyDeac).

What happened to the Braves' presence in NC? Feels like growing up, most people were Braves fans.

CBS owned the Yankees for the 1965-1972 seasons. While the Yankees never went to the WS during that period, they were televised into homes around the country every Saturday. While it may be hard for the younger folks among us to realize, often there was only one game televised nationally each week. ESPN, FoxSports, etc did not exist. Superstations and cable did not exist. The Internet was still just a figment of young Al Gore's imagination. You received CBS and NBC in most markets. There was this fledgling network called ABC, but it was not very good and some markets didnt carry it. In the 60s, Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese brought the Yankees to us every Saturday afternoon. In areas such as NC, there was no hometown team. The Senators in DC were terrible, and the Braves had just relocated from Milwaukee in 1966. For many young NC boys during those formative years, the Yankees became a surrogate "home" team because they were broadcast to us on a regular basis. There was no frontrunning back then either. The Yankees had a losing record from 1965-67 and in 1969. It wasnt all that easy being a Yankees fan during the Horace Clarke years.

It is easy to overlook how much things have changed with technology, 24-hour sports, MLB Network, etc. in a lifetime.

God, I suddenly feel old!

Who doesn't know several Yankee and Red Sox fans that aren't from NY or NE?

The map reinforces the existing bandwagon knowledge.

What happened to the Braves' presence in NC? Feels like growing up, most people were Braves fans.

Seems like the Braves used to always be on TV here in NC (I guess during the early Turner network heyday) - now I almost never see them on...

Ted Turner sold the team, and they went off TBS.

It was great and easy to be a Braves fan in the 90's.

Seems like the Braves used to always be on TV here in NC (I guess during the early Turner network heyday) - now I almost never see them on...

What cable system are you on? They are always on TWC...at least in Charlotte.

Ouch, I'd have thought the Mets would at least have Long Island. Or, you know, Queens.

I'm not buying it. There is no way there are more Yankees fans in NC than Braves fans.

I'm not buying it. There is no way there are more Yankees fans in NC than Braves fans.

It gets preferences from Facebook. That may explain some of it. There may be an age effect at work in which Braves fans tend to be older and not on Facebook. As someone alluded to above, there are more transplants which would be responsible for bringing more Yankees and Red Sox fans to NC. I think they've probably branched out from the Triangle area over the last decade or so as well. I still have a hard time believing Eastern NC is more Yankees and Red Sox than Braves.

Back